Canadian Rumour Mill – November 12
Well… it’s raining MMA fighters lately as November is flooding with MMA fights. This weekend a bunch of our Canadian MMA boys will fight at UFC 154 in Montreal and next we have the Score and Aggression facing off on the same night. Great times to be a Canadian MMA fan!
On to my rumours:
- After two fights in two weeks, is Kendall Grove fighting on AFC 14 on November 23? He still thinks he is, is he? If so, who will he be facing? Zach Blaber?
- Sounds like UFC is balking at the BC commission’s proposal to garnish a percentage of PPV revenue from events held in that province. It may cost Vancouver a 2013 UFC event!
- Who the heck is Kurt Southern fighting at AFC 14… Alessio, nope… Mazany, nope… someone?
- The Pure FC card is filling out, here’s some match ups: Clay Davidson vs Jake Collier, Tyler Davis vs Mark Maruzs, Peter Neufeld vs Chris Heatherly, Ryan Brigham vs Mike Imperato, Tim Tamaki vs Steve Dittrich
- Wolfgang Janssen vs. Aaron Armstrong has been added to Havoc FC 1 in mid December.
- Hardeep Singh was submitted with a Brabo Choke by Tom McKenna in his Super Fight League debut.
- What’s the Real Deal have to do to get into the Bellator WW Tourney! Come on Bellator, Ryan Ford‘s been tearing it up for you guys!
- BC is taking the Provincial Athletic Commission and MMA sanctioning seriously. They will be hosting a COMMAND seminar with Big John McCarthy and Jerin Valel on November 24-25 at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport Hotel. If you want to become a judge (or just hang out for a weekend talking MMA with two of the best minds in the sport), make sure you register. More info can be found HERE or click on the poster.
- Iraj Hadin is fighting twice in two weeks. Here’s hoping he gets through his first fight well, so that he’ll be able to take on Ricky Goodall as the semi-main event at ECC. Always risky!
- We’d like to send our best wishes out to Josh Machan, who had a workplace eye injury and will be unable to defend his KOTC Canadian FW belt this coming weekend in Edmonton.
- Once hot rising prospect, Jordan McKay (6-1) has signed a multi-fight deal with Unified MMA and will finally return to MMA this March. McKay will have been off for about a year and a half going into his March bout at Unified MMA.
- Some Davis Bros info: Mike and Tyler Davis went head to head in the Advanced Muay Thai finals at the Brock Myrol Memorial Tournament in Red Deer… Mike won by split decision. They also cleaned up in other divisions.
- The Elite 1’s top Welterweight Richard Arsenault must be working on his striking as he’ll make his boxing debut on November 24th in Moncton, taking on Guy Desforges (5-10). Desforges holds 2 boxing victories over MMA fighers (Jeff Lundberg and Todd Henry). Also appearing on this card will be undefeated amateur prospect Darcy McKenna (3-0) who’ll make his pro debut in boxing taking on Sandy Robb (8-0-1).
- The WarDog‘s opponent has been changed in his upcoming boxing contest. He’ll now be taking on the professionally experienced Excell Holmes (2-1-1) on December 1st.
- Matt Spisak will challenge Tim “Shady” Smith for the Unified MMA Lightweight Title at Unified 14 on December 21st. I’m hearing Jose Rodriguez and Tony Stiles were also offered the fight.
- Matt Veal continues his impressive US run, by winning in Minnesota by guillotine! That guy is unstoppable in the US, time to transfer some of that success back up north to Canada Kid Lightning! Also appearing on the card were 2 other Leading Edge fighters, Brandon Gardner (Won) and Brock Peters (Lost).
- Bellator is looking to spread it’s brand across Canada and it seems like Bellator and Spike TV will be holding a show in the Edmonton Area, at the former home of the MFC at “The Venue” in River Cree in Enoch, Alberta.
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.