Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – November 2012

2012 has seen the rebuilding of the Canadian Heavyweight division.  Last year, only two of the following five Heavyweights were ranked.  This much-needed new blood has given the division the infusion needed to generate excitement once again.

Promotions have been focusing on the Heavyweights as well this year.  MFC has re-introduced the Heavyweights and have provided some fantastic all-Canadian matchups between Tim Hague, Mike Hackert, Ryan Fortin and Smealinho Rama.  AFC as well keeps promoting new big men with Paul Cheng and Ryan Hunter facing off recently.

Here is the Top 5:

Official Canadian Heavyweight Rankings

1. Mike Hackert (6-1) – Previous Rank (1) – “The Honey Badger” stunned the Canadian MMA scene by going up to Fort Mac and winning a decision over Tim Hague to become Canada’s #1 Heavyweight.  Next, Hackert gave Hague a rematch at MFC 34 and this time he stopped “The Thrashing Machine” in the first round to solidify his #1 ranking.  Next fight: vs Smealinho Rama at MFC 36 on February 15.

Smealinho Rama mounts Ryan Fortin at Maximum Fighting Championship 35

Smealinho Rama mounts Ryan Fortin (photo: Rob Trudeau)

2. Smealinho Rama (5-0) – Previous Rank (NR) – Rama has exploded onto the MMA scene picking up five wins since debuting February 2012 at Hard Knocks.  Incredibly, each outing fans see a much-improved Rama even though only months have passed since his last fight.  A very nimble Rama showcased his ground game against Ryan Fortin at MFC 35.  Rama schooled the much taller Fortin on the mat and debuts at #2 on this list.  Next fight: vs Mike Hackert at MFC 36 on February 15.

3. Tim Hague (14-7) – Previous Rank (2) – After losing to Mike Hackert for the second consecutive time, The Thrashing Machine drops a spot to #3.  Sadly, Hague announced his retirement following the MFC 34 loss. Let’s hope that announcement does not stick and we see Hague back in the cage.  Next fight: Retired?

4. Ryan Fortin (6-4) – Previous Rank (3) – Fortin took on the rising prospect Smealinho Rama at MFC 35 after a year off from the sport.  Rama’s speed on the ground was just too much for Fortin as Rama went from sub to sub before sinking in the Rear Naked Choke.  Fortin, should take some time to work on his ground game, because with his size he could become unstoppable. Next fight: TBD.

5. Peter Nolan (4-1) – Previous Rank (4) – Nolan has headed down to Light-Heavyweight where he belongs, however he still has qualifying fights at Heavyweight in 2012 to retain his spot in these rankings.  With wins over Sebastien Gauthier and Paul Cheng in the Heavweight division, Nolan has proven he is a tough Heavyweight.  Next fight: TBD

Fighters who dropped out of the Top 5: Rafael Bergmann (inactive, was 5th)

Outside the Top 5
Paul Cheng (3-1)

Related Posts:
Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – July 2012
Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – April 2012
Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – June 2011
Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – June 2010
Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – January 2010

49 Responses to “ Canadian Heavyweight Rankings – November 2012 ”

1. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Not sure I agree …and before you guys get your panties in a bunch …I’m not talkin about Craig…I disagree with Hague being ranked when he posted on face book he’s retired and I don’t agree with Nolan because he dropped to LHW and stated that’s where he’s staying…with Cheng win over Hunter …I think he should def….be in top 5 as should Hunter…if you remove Hague and Nolan out of the rankings…just my Opinion

2. mark says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 15 Thumb down 25

3. Good points @BTP.

Nolan has had two fights since Nov 2011 at Heavyweight (more HW fights than Ryan Hunter over the same time frame!) so we chose to rank him.

As for Hague, he could be pulled due to his retirement. Top MMA News will wait a bit to see if it sticks or not. We yanked Kalib Starnes from the rankings soon after his retirement and he came back since that time.

4. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Hey fuck stick I’m allowed an opinion …you don’t like it come make me fuck off…I’m not a fuckin keyboard warrior…open invites to come make me fuck off had enough of your guys bullshit…anyone can have an opinion…I’m not saying mines right or wrong it’s mine…you don’t have to agree with it or disagree with it …but you don’t have to be a fuckin idiot either…

5. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Ah I see Keith …thanx

Finally HWs are starting to get rolling again! Nice to see

7. AMLEHTC says:

WARDONG!!!

8. Mma Truth says:

Fortin is a Beast, he will come back stronger

9. mark says:

fly dajesus btp

10. vlad says:

I am pretty sure you will have to redo your ranking once again in few month. Like in February. :))

11. booboo says:

@BTP GREAT POINT , TIM SHOULD STAY THERE UNTIL HIS INACTIVE STATUS COMES INTO EFFECT EVEN THOUGH HE SAID HE IS DONE LIKE MANY OTHERS ON HERE I KNOW OF . CHENG SHOULD BE AT 3 FORINE AT 4 HAGUE , RAMA ,AND THE HONEY BADGER BUT AT 5 NOLENS GONE SO WHO DO WE HAVE THERE ? IM NOT BEING A SMART ASS BUT I HONESTLY FEEL IF WARDOG AND MEIN FIGHT THERE SHOULD BE AN HONERABLE MENTION ATLEAST CAUSE CRAIGS LAST 2 LOSES WAS AGAINST CANADAS TOP 3 HWTS , AND I DONT SEE TO MANY CANADIAN HWTS SO MEIN VS HUDSON WOULD BE A FUN FIGHT AND IF MEIN CAN GET AN HONERABLE MENTION WITH HIS RECORD ( EVEN THOUGH HE S FOUGHT BETTER COMP )I THINK THAT WINNER SHOULD BE ATLEAST AN HONERABLE MENTION . HELL I LIKE HUNTER AND CRAIG TOO , JUST MY 2 CENTS

GREAT POST BTP

12. Nathan Swayze says:

I am of the opinion Mike will be holding that spot for quite some time. The biggest question is, which HW gets brought in for the MFC belt after February?

13. RAY says:

IT DOESNT MATTER MIKE THE HONEY BADGER WILL COME OUT ON TOP IN ALL HIS FIGHTS, BECAUSE THE HONEY BADGER DONT CARE

14. Solid says:

As state in the rankings, Nolan has had recent fights at heavyweight to qualify. Nolan smashed Cheng quite easily. Nolan belongs there, not Cheng…enough said

15. Shane BTP Mountney says:

@solid …I would agree with you ..if Nolan was staying at Heavy….but apparently he’s not…

16. Marv says:

@ Keith- great list!! I agree with you on every aspect of these rankings, nice job

17. Thanks @Marv… that is not something we hear very often! :)

18. Marv says:

Haha I know man, I know I trashed novembers top match ups and now I’m praising these rankings, what can I say, I’m brutally honest haha

19. Solid says:

Many of the Canadian light-heavyweights seem to move between LHW and HW, mainly to get more fights, difficulty finding opponents or last minute fights due to a fighter dropping out. There will always be this issue of who is a LHW and HW. Even Hackert, ranked #1 has fought at a smaller weight class. If a fighter has competed at the given weight class in the required alotted time frame, then they should qualify for the rankings. Also, even though the Canadian HW’s have slim pickings, I would still rather see a top ten fighter list regardless. Why not put some up and coming HW fighters names on the list. Give theses guys a chance to get there names out there, get some recognition and maybe a new fanbase

20. Vlad says:

I hope Ryan Fortin will come back soon, he is very gifted athlete and fighter. I know Ryan Hunter will come back very soon, he is very motivated and already came back to the gym. Paul Cheng did great, nice comeback and great KO. Hopefully Craig Hudson will be fighting soon, I know how hard to find an opponent in HW division. Jordan Tracey is a very tough guy, hope to see him back soon as well. Tim Hague was saying about retirement after his first lose to Mike Hackert, lets hope he will change his mind again. I agree with Bobby, finally we see movement in Canadian heavy weight division. In my opinion Rama – Hackert will decide great future for Canadian heavyweights, one of these guys will be representing Canada in UFC, hopefully next year. So as you can see , I am very hopeful.

21. Idolmaker says:

Hi Vlad

22. Shane BTP Mountney says:

All the guys you just mentioned are all great heavyweight athletes and any combination of them would make for an exciting fight between big men…as for Craig he plans to return to mma in 2013 …as for opponent and promotion…yet to be determined …a cpl opportunities are in the works we will just have to wait and see how it plays out….as for Rama vs Hackert …can’t wait to see this play out…good luck to both…but I’m rootin for Rama!…

23. FYI…Vladimir Starcencov will be eligible to be added to our Canadian HW lists in 2013 according to discussions I have had with his management.

24. Vlad says:

Starcencov just lost to a very good russian fighter Minakov ( 4 times Sambo World champion). Starcencov seems a solid fighter , but he wasn’t very active. He fought two times this year, good sign :) I love watching HW it is my favourite division.When I met Rama and Hunter they both wanted to compete as Light heavyweights, I’d like to think that I was partly the reason they decided to fight in HW, at least for Rama I am pretty sure i was and I am proud of it :) There is nothing like watching big guys swinging :)
    Hi Idol, whats up.

25. Idolmaker says:

Nothing just saying hello

26. Jerobe says:

The best thing Craig Hudson aka WARDOG can do for his career is stay as far away from BTP Douchbag Mountney as possible.

27. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Ok you can have your opinion whether you think Craig and I should work together…but the insults are unecasary unless you want to come try and insult me to my face…oh I forgot keyboard warriors have as much backbone as a jellyfish…never mind …I won’t waste my time…it shows your intelligence level when you come on here and attack and insult someone….that you don’t even know and the insult has absolutely nothing to do with this post topic…happy hating

28. Vlad says:

Whatever make them happy Shane, what else do they have? Mom’s basement and hearts of imaginary tigers :)))
    Heard Craig has a boxing match. Good luck guys.

29. K. RASMUS says:

I would like to see Wardog fight in Edmonton.

30. Vlad says:

I am glad you said Hello Idolmaker, twice.

31. Idolmaker says:

Yeah man. I’m not as big a dickhead as I come across. Not to mention your club is making some pretty big waves. I’m all about this sport, dead serious in fact, although most of my posts would make people believe otherwise.

I’m a bitter person, since my mom passed, I’ve had to leave her basement. Haha

32. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Now that’s funny…

33. Dean Panas says:

Idolmaker is one of the best on the site. I enjoy his posts, he knows his shit! I have a feeling we have met but I’m not sure who he is.

34. Idolmaker says:

Deano we have met, it was awkward, and no words were exchanged. It was at an orgy…

35. Dean Panas says:

That narrows it down to a couple hundred potentials. I’m assuming I had Mazany with me.

36. Idolmaker says:

Lol… Yeah it was a long time ago you had a fro down below.

37. Marv says:

I gotta agree, idolmaker keeps this site fun, keeps his hating to an appropriate level and has lots of hysterical posts… Enjoy the compliment I only give them out when well deserved

38. Soupy says:

BTP – Every time someone says something to you, you act like a thug..Challenging everyone to a fight every time you read something that you don’t like. It is guys like you that give this sport a bad name. Shut the fuck up and act and respond like a professional and just maybe and I mean maybe people will respect you..And yes i am a key board warrior

39. vlad says:

I think it would be good to redo ranking. It’s 2013 :)

Don’t worry Vlad… everyone knows Rama is #1! haha

I say you wait till the end of the month.
    Then you’ve got results of Penner vs Swayze and you have possibly Starcenov (dunno if he is or not).

42. Vlad says:

I worry, this is my job , this is what I do :))

43. Vlad says:

Glad both Penner and Swayze decided to go HW , you think after just one fight they gonna change HW ranking? Stracenov has 3 fights. I do like Starcenov a lot , but he fights once a year.

44. Jerobe says:

On the radio today they announced that “Canada’s Number 1 Heavyweight Tim Hague is hosting GSP vs Diaz at some shit bar in Edmonton”. I dont agree with that radio advertisement. I think Penner, Misha, Rama and Hackert are all better than Hague. Penner and Misha would roll on Hague at HW.

45. LOL says:

i hear rumors of a Hudson vs Starcencov rematch in the works for june in ontario

46. LOL says:

But hey again they are just rumors, i also heard that Five Star is looking for a local opponent for Hudson on their May 10th card and AFC as well is looking for opponents for him for future shows this year.
    But who knows it could all be speculation,but if true we could see alot of action from Hudson this year!

47. I'll Say it says:

I wonder who LOL is………hmmmmm I just don’t know does anybody have any ideas? Perhaps an alias?

48. LOL says:

Actually ill tell you who i am…im a friend of Craigs brother!
    like i said this is just speculation or the things ive over heard.