Canadian Bantamweight Rankings – October 2012
Big, big changes in the Canadian Top 10 Bantamweights due to the newly announced citizenship of a certain DREAM champion and the large amount of Canadian 135ers staying active in the UFC. We even saw two fights this rankings period that had two fighters from the top 10 facing off against each other.
Top 10 Canadian Bantamweights
1. Bibiano Fernandes (12-3) – Previous Rank (NR) – Not often we get a newcomer showing up at the top of the rankings, but Bibiano Fernandes is not just any newcomer. The DREAM champion informed Top MMA News that he has Canadian citizenship with a Canadian wife and Canadian children, so we threw him into the top 10 and he ended up at the top. Bibi is 11-1 in his last 12 fights including his latest win over Gustavo Falciroli in his new home – ONE FC. Fernandes has beaten a who’s who on the Asian MMA scene including Imanari, Hansen, Warren, Banuelos, and Takaya. The only problem for him now is finding stiff competition outside the UFC. Next Fight: TBD.
2. Ivan Menjivar (24-9) – Previous Rank (1) – Ivan Menjivar was tagged to fight Renan Barao but that fight got scrapped and the Pride of El Salvador and Canada fought Mike Easton instead. Sadly, Menjivar had his three fight UFC winning streak snap as well as a potential shot at the UFC Bantamweight title as Easton took the unanimous decision victory over the Tristar MMA fighter. Menjivar welcomes a new “Tough Guy” to the UFC in his next fight as he faces Azamat Gashimov in Montreal. Next Fight: vs Azamat Gashimov at UFC 154 on November 17.
3. Yves Jabouin (18-8) – Previous Rank (3) – Like Menjivar, Yves Jabouin had his three fight winning streak in the UFC snapped in his last fight. Brad Pickett made his fans happy as he knocked out the Tiger. Jabouin keeps his third spot due to also getting a win over Jeff Hougland in this rankings period. After the hard KO, Yves deserves some rest and some time to refocus on his next charge up the UFC ladder. Next fight: vs TBD
4. Roland Delorme (8-1, 1 NC) – Previous Rank (7) – With Francisco Rivera testing positive following his UFC 149 bout, Rolly Delorme remains undefeated in the UFC at 2-0 despite losing his last fight in Calgary. During this rankings period, Delorme also made a big impression by finishing the previously #2 ranked Nick Denis in one of the best rounds of 2012. Due to this success, Delorme makes the biggest jump in the Top 10. Next fight: vs TBD
5. Nick Denis (11-3) – Previous Rank (2) – Nick Denis drops three spots following his loss to the former #7 ranked Roland Delorme. Denis was scheduled to fight Johnny Bedford but that fell through and Delorme took the opportunity to upset the higher ranked Denis. Don’t despair Ninja of Love fans, Denis remains highly ranked on the basis of his past victories including great finishes on Nick Mamalis and Joseph Sandoval. Next Fight: vs TBD
6. Michel Gagnon (9-2) – Previous Rank (4) – No thanks to Fernandes and Delorme, Mitch Gagnon drops down two spots despite going 1-1 and winning his first UFC fight. That first win came in Gagnon’s home province against Walel Watson and he won by his usual method – first round submission. For Gagnon to advance further up the UFC ladder, he is going to have to shake those second and third round demons as seen in his Bryan Caraway loss. We know Mitch can do it! Next Fight: vs TBD
7. Josh Hill (9-0) – Previous Rank (6) – Hill falls victim to the Fernandes and Delorme promotions and drops a step despite dominating the previously #5 ranked John Fraser over three rounds. As Hill continues to knock off top opposition, he will continue to climb this ladder even if he does not get the call to the UFC. Hill’s toughest opponent to date is already lined up for his next fight when he faces BJJ black belt Raphael Rebello. Next Fight: vs Raphael Rebello at SFS on November 23.
8. John Fraser (11-4) – Previous Rank (5) – John Fraser had his ups and downs since the last rankings. First he took on Josh Hill and spent three rounds on his back. However, he quickly righted his ship with a win at Featherweight against UFC vet Tyler Toner. Fraser says he will take some time off now. He will be resting up for his next run up the 135 mountain. Next fight: TBD.
9. Randy Turner (6-2) – Previous Rank (NR) – This “Relentless” fighter wanted a tough fight so he took on the former #9 ranked Eric Perez and won the WRECK Bantamweight title for his trouble. Turner, who makes his debut on the Top 10, simply has cardio for days and can outwork almost every fighter on this list. Next up for the OAMA fighter is a title defense against former The Ultimate Fighter cast member BJ Ferguson. Next fight: vs BJ Ferguson at WRECK MMA on November 9
10. Stephane Pelletier (6-1) – Previous Rank (10) – Juvaldo fighter Stephane Pelletier remains on the Top 10. In his last fight, he submitted a tough Melvin Blumer for his fourth consecutive victory. Pelletier, the former Ringside Bantamweight champion, is now in limbo as there are no Instinct shows scheduled for the future. With this kid’s talent, someone give him a fight! Next fight: vs TBD
Out of the Top 10
Mike Adams (6-1) – Next fight: vs. Josh Rettinghouse (2-1) at BFL 21 on November 30
Diego Wilson (6-1) – Next fight: vs Louis Fisette (5-1) at AFC 13 on November 3
Eric Wilson (5-3)
Tyler Davis (8-2)
Previous Bantamweight Rankings: