Canadian Rumour Mill – October 22
Well unfortunately we start this Rumour Mill with tragic and sad news. Long time Canadian National Judo team and BTT Canada member, Scott Edward passed away due to being involved in a car accident on the weekend. Scott was 0-1 in MMA having lost his debut fight to Todd Stoute, but was a multiple time Judo Champion (5 time National Champion, multiple time International Tournament champion). Scott Edward was just 27 years old at the time of his passing. We at Top MMA News would like to send out our deepest condolences to all of Scott Edward’s friends and family.
- Here’s a great quote from UFC Canada’s big man Tom Wright, “We’re not that far away from announcing our full 2013 schedule. I can tell you that there’s going to be at least four events in Canada. There’s going to be at least two cities that may surprise a few people when we come out with our schedule and right now we’re looking at an additional three. So a total of five events in Canada for 2013.”
Hmmm, makes me think, remember a while back I mentioned that the UFC had Rexall Place in Edmonton booked with a 2013 date…
- Also look for a possible TUF in 2013 for Canada.
- I’m hearing Victor Valimaki has been very motivated and training hard once again for his upcoming AFC 14 bout. His opponent is rumoured to be a UFC vet known to Canadian fight fans.
- Eduardo (Dudu) Dantas may not defend his BW title against Marcos (Loro) Galvao at Bellator 79 due to lingering effects from being KO’d by Nam in Shooto Brazil. I’m beating a dead horse here, but I guess it doesn’t pay to have your stars/champs fight outside your organization.
- Unified MMA may possible introduce a MW belt at their December 21st show.
- Anyone else getting the feeling that the two Canadians, Mike Ricci and Mike Hill, will face each other in the first round? Only three fights left and they still have not fought.
- Sorry to see a good competitor like Chad Freeman decide to retire from competing in MMA. He had some good scraps and I believe still had something left to give for one run of fights. Good luck Chad!
- No more MMA in Trail, BC as AM Ford Fight Nights will no longer hold events.
- Glen Kalesniko may increase the number of his successful Caged Rage shows in Castlegar, BC to two a year.
- Just wondering, but is the Derek Boyle vs Allan Wilson fight still on at Rage Fighting Series after Wilson getting finished at SFS this last weekend?
- Hot rising Jason Saggo will definitely be facing a stiff test at SFS on Nov 23rd, he’ll battle it out with the always tough Iraj Hadin.
- The Tristar/InterBox promotion we have been calling Tristar Fights has now been named SLAMM. SLAMM1 will happen Nov 30th.
- More SLAMM – solid prospects, Olivier-Aubin-Mercier, Steve Simms, and Mandel Nallo will be on this card. Also Firas Zahabi’s much heralded brother, Aiemann Zahabi to take on Kyle Vivian. Anyone take harder fights than the winless Vivian?
- Hey, has anyone managed to watch Aggression TV yet? Any good? I still don’t have any idea on how to watch it, a little confused. Mind you, I can’t figure out my PVR remote or how to stop the 12:00 from flashing on my VCR.
- Look for Dimitri Waardenburg to make his return to combat sports in a boxing fight on December 8th for UGC in Montreal. Waardenburg is 0-1 as a pro boxer losing his debut by unanimous decision in April of this year. It seems that Dimitri is looking to slim down some as this fight will be at super featherweight (130lbs). Could we have a new fighter in the 125lbs mix once Waardenburg returns to MMA? Ali Nestor will also be boxing on this show (his own event).