KOTC: Stand & Deliver – Edmonton – November 16

Date: November 16, 2012
Venue: Mirage Banquet Hall
TV:
Tickets: Ticketzone.com or Wild West Shooting Range

Pro Fights:
170lbs- Garett Davis (15-11) vs. Elmer Waterhen (12-16)
***Welterweight Title Fight

170lbs- Cameron Loutitt (1-2) vs. Steve Dubeck (3-4)
185lbs- Johnny Grant (2-2) vs. Greg Large (0-5)
135lbs- Andrew Bard (2-2) vs. Ben Jansen (1-0)
170lbs- Aleksander Todosov (1-0) vs. Dustin Sacrey (0-0)
160lbs- Devon Neville (1-3) vs. Jordan Berland (0-1)

Amateur Fights:
125lbs- Lynnell House (0-0) vs. Sarah McRann (0-0)
150lbs- Ryan O’Kurly (0-2) vs. Spencer Hendricks (0-0)

132 Responses to “ KOTC: Stand & Deliver – Edmonton – November 16 ”

1. Trevor Kain says:

Damn, Teddy vs Justin off due to issues with Teddys pre-fight medicals. Justin was training hard for this fight hope a replacement is available. Hope this fight happens again however as both these guys are the real deal and can bring it.

2. ken kupsch says:

Where did you hear that Trevor? I sent Justin a text to see if he had his meds and he told me he was working in Ft Mac and can’t come back to fight. He said he was going to let me know soon. Nice.

Teddy is good to go and has no issues, hope to have him another fight soon.

3. Trevor Kain says:

Sorry Ken, Justin posted on facebook an hour ago something about the blood work, I will get to the bottom of this. Sorry evreyone

4. ken kupsch says:

Ok, no problem. Bloodwork can be done in three days so there is no issue with anyones meds.

5. BDC says:

Ninja smoke bomb????

6. Freeman says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 3 Thumb down 19

7. ken kupsch says:

“Ken I just asked to defend my title a few weeks ago before my fight for Fivestar and you said the card was full”

Who in their right mind would put you on a show when you are already booked to fight somewhere else?

You tell us why your champs from out of Alberta only fight once a year if that!

I don’t have to tell you shit, but here you go anyway.

Ryan Fortin: Was booked to fight Tony Lopez in California by his request, had an injury and was off for a long time. Then booked with someone else and was in the same situation as you. They asked for a fight, I told them they had to finish all obligations with the other promotion before I would even discuss it.

Ryan Knysh: Major injury, was off for over a year, but can fight on every show he wants when he’s ready.

Josh Machan: Seems to be tough to find 145’s right now. He was booked to fight on this show, but I was having a hard time finding him an opponent. He had a work injury a week ago, so will not be fighting, but like Knysh, he can fight on every show he wants.

Garett Davis: Just returning, and again, no issues there. He is fighting next week and can fight again in the start of the year if he likes.

Elmer Waterhen: Again, Elmer can fight on every show here, and usually does.

So, please explain how “a lot” of our champions have the same problem. Actually, I don’t even see your problem here. Looks like you just want someone to blame because you’re not getting what you want out of the sport.

Gotta respect Ken Kupsch.

Honest and tells it like it is.

That’s rare in a promoter.

9. Gunner says:

I agree Mr Black, Ken was awesome to me the one time i fought for him and i even got to eat at the brazilian BBQ and have my tradition one post weigh in beer with him at our table….. Man those brazilian BBQ are like heaven. The best part about Ken is he does not preach that him or KOTC is anything that they are not, and just goes about his bizz giving guys a place to get a few fights

If you’re coming to the fights please help out a great cause for Elmer Waterhen and bring non-perishable food items for donation to the food bank. Elmer will be volunteering on the Monday following the fight!

UPDATED: Added updated fight card, Ken is also looking to add a few more fights to the lineup!

*Ken is currently looking for an Amateur 145er if anyone is interested

12. sean quinn says:

Isn’t Devon Necille gonna be…incarcerated?

Apparently his sentencing isn’t until December 20th

14. Idolmaker says:

Has he shown remorse? Ken as stand up as you are appearing, why would you allow a jackass like that fight on your card?

15. Mitch Clarke says:

Um Idolmaker…his nickname is “No Remorse” , so probably not

16. Idolmaker says:

Ummm I know that, smart guy!!!

17. Oilcity30 says:

Ken friend off mine used to train with Matt McGrath never fought pro, boxing karate background can fight at 145 -155 can he have a contact for you?

18. Mitch Clarke says:

Not everyone does Idol

19. Idolmaker says:

I do, and to me, that’s the only one that matter.

20. ken kupsch says:

“Isn’t Devon Necille gonna be…incarcerated?”

I was not aware he had problems, but it really doesn’t effect the fight in any way.

You should keep in mind that a great many fighters have a less than perfect past.

21. Mitch Clarke says:

I can appreciate that Idolmaker

22. Idolmaker says:

Ok ken I understand your point. Just want this sport to grow, and people who do stuff like he did, don’t really help the image. In the end it’s a business and I have no business telling you how to run your business.

23. Donald Duck says:

I dunno, what’s he in trouble for?

Jay Walking – No real issue

Fraud – Maybe a grey area depending on circumstances

Something Violent – I dunno like picking up a hooker with your buddy hidden in the back seat, hitting her with a bottle and then raping her before dropping her off in a dumpster – Maybe someone you shouldn’t associate with

Since he’s been convicted….

What say you MMA Community – where does this sit on the spectrum from Misdemeanor through to “Black Hulk”?

Donnie

24. Just Laughable says:

I think if Neville is such a tough trained martial artist and wants to be on a card then put him up against a real trained martial artist and make sure the ref knows to be a little bit slow to step in when he is the one on his back taking shots while defenseless.

But since thats not the case he does not belong in any cage or ring period

25. Idolmaker says:

Is there a difference between rotten pork and rotten chicken? Not really they both stink, they can both kill you, they are both rotten! The differences between both crimes are there. however, they both high level assaults. I will never follow a promotion that would employ people like stoute or Neville.

26. ken kupsch says:

While I appreciate peoples concerns, I still feel that we have to be careful where we draw the line.

Every week fans watch UFC stars that have criminal pasts. They have had champions who have done time for various offences (and no, I’m not going to provide proof of that or name anyone)

Some guys learn from mistakes, some don’t. I just don’t think we should be the ones to judge them.

27. Idolmaker says:

As a guy with much love for this sport, who wants it to have longevity, who someday wants to watch it with his kids, I’m the right kind of person to judge them.

28. ken kupsch says:

Fair enough, that’s your choice, but at least you would have to treat everyone the same.

What would your reaction be if you found out one of your favorite fighters had similar issues in the past? Or, several of your favorites?

29. Donald Duck says:

I’m just here to ask questions and voice my opinion. With that said:

I agree with Ken, people change and we shouldn’t exclusively judge someone on their past behavior. Often times there are good explanations for why someone has crossed the law with less than ‘socially acceptable’ positive results. However this only works after someone has shown a marked change since an offense.

Given that Mr. Necille and his brother seriously assaulted another person (with racial aspects if some accounts are to be believed) just 6 months ago I’m struggling to see what he could have done in that short term to show enough contrition that we are willing to forgive his past transgressions and chalk it up to ‘out of character behavior’. If a year from now Mr. Necille has radically changed his life (via community service or outreach work) then I can see us, as an MMA community, wanting to celebrate his life and the decisions.

Unfortunately MMA is still in the growth stage and as such we need to always be vigilant when it comes to things that may potentially negatively impact people’s view of the sport. Mr. Necille may in fact be a fantastic person outside of this one example however we won’t be judged on this. I wonder if Ken would have the same view if the fighter in question was Bobby Kalmakoff?

Then again, that’s just this duck’s opinion.

Donnie

30. Idolmaker says:

I’m pretty strong minded ken, as such I would feel the same way as I do on the aforementioned fighters. I’m not at all saying I’m right or wrong, but that’s how I feel about this topic.

31. Just Laughable says:

Correct Mr Duck,,,,,, this act is not in the past and it has not even been finished in court yet alone time for Neville to show remorse as he has yet to even accept fault for his actions….. SO sorry Ken but this is not a fighter trying to put his past behind him and become a better person through the martial arts and our great sport

32. Idolmaker says:

I think I met a relative of yours back in the 70’s Donnie. I may be wrong, but here goes. Disco Duck? What’s he been up to in the last 40 years?

33. IMO it should be the responsibility of the athletic commission granting the license to fight professionally.

34. ken kupsch says:

“SO sorry Ken but this is not a fighter trying to put his past behind him and become a better person through the martial arts and our great sport”

I’m not say he is or he isn’t. But how can you be so sure what he is thinking?

You are assuming someone who offended ten years ago is a better person than someone who offended last year. You may be 100% correct, but, then again, you may not.

35. ken kupsch says:

” I’m not at all saying I’m right or wrong, but that’s how I feel about this topic.”

Yeah, me too. It’s definately not black and white.

36. Just Laughable says:

something a bit closer to home Ken,

lets say a citizen who was a trained marksmen and one day just decides he is going to turn around and shoot some poor guy cause he turned the wrong way,, would you want this same loose cannon 6 months later being allowed to enter a marksmen competition and representing your great sport ??? would you feel safe entering a competition and being in close proximity to this guilty person ?

37. ken kupsch says:

If he was a risk or likely to reoffend, he would not out now.

38. Donald Duck says:

@MAD – You trying to say you’d expect the guy who sanctioned Pride rules to do the right thing?

@Idol – This Duck walks alone, you know what I’m sayin’?

Donnie

39. Nope, not referring to anybody specific.

But it’s the athletic commissions job to keep the sport safe, and run with a responsibility to run the sport properly and be accountable for how it is run and portrayed to the public.

If there are any issues with anybody, it’s the athletic commission who is held accountable.

This is a very grey area and hard to implement any process to this that would work for each case.

UPDATE: Added Ryan O’Kurly vs. Spencer Hendricks

41. Idolmaker says:

I’d like to know what the other tmn guys think of the Devon Neville situation? Keith? Cody? what about you robin?

42. Donald Duck says:

I have to agree with Idolmaker.

(Did I just say that?)

TMN is a good venue with people challenging and discussing issues however sometimes it goes silent on the tough issues.

Donnie

PS – Then again I have psuedo anonymity due to my not so secret online identity.

43. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Pat Reid is bad for the sport of MMA

How’s that?

I’ve never had a problem calling anybody out who I think does harm to our sport.

44. Idolmaker says:

MAD you’re the man, and you never hold back. I just want to see what the people whose opinion I consider greatly, have to say about this.

45. Idolmaker says:

It ain’t a pissing contest, otherwise id win by a longshot DD.

46. Jamie Locke says:

My opinion doesn’t matter, but I think commissions should be doing a lot more scrutinizing about who they allow to call themselves a “professional” in the sport of mma.

1 – Criminal record checks to not allow violent offenders (who have not paid their dues, i.e. charges are still in play, if you served your time than exceptions could be made.)

2 – Consistant weight misses

3 – losses to win ratio reaching 0:5-0:10

Just a few things…

47. Donald Duck says:

A commissions primary (and almost exclusively) reason for existance is safety. There is next to no other reason why you need a commission beyond this point.

With that said:

1. Criminal Record Checks – Not within scope and I would say is giving too much power to a group over mostly retired (with the occasional political climber) people who volunteer their time (Pat excluded of course) to work on a commission. Perhaps if a fighter’s license could be looked at as a ‘business license’ then whoever issues the license (the city of municipality) could consider adding a Criminal Records Check to their list of requirements but the commission shouldn’t be involved in this at all.

2. Yes, this is purely a commission issue wherein most are chasing their tails and looking at the effects and not the causes.

3. Yes, again safety is the main concern and fighters who fail to make an improvement (Bobby K I’m looking at you) need to be prevented for their own safety from participating.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

IMO – It is up to the promoters to know who is representing their business. If you owned a small business wouldn’t you want the best possible person representing you in the public forum? Someone who has turned their life around makes for a nice ‘feel good’ story but someone who, along with his brother, just assaulted a cab driver probably isn’t the best guy.

Donnie

48. If the law allows someone to fight in an MMA cage, I have no problem with it. I will not cheer for some scumball who beat up a cabbie, but he should be allowed to fight if the law allows it and the promoter wants him on the card. MMA commissioners are not policeman. MMA promoters could choose to use these guys but should realize there is a risk as they may get backlash when/if media outlets choose to cover these things.

When I do get pissed at commissions for allowing criminals to fight is when Quebec bans people from fighting for just associating with known criminals yet does not ban them for being known criminals.

This is no different than any other sport, Craig MacTavish killed a guy while drunk driving yet still played hockey when he was released from jail and later became the Edmonton Oilers coach. Bob Probert was allowed to play after he served his sentence for smuggling cocaine. Rothlisberger and his “seduction” methods, lots of examples in other sports.

The only place where I support banning an alleged criminal or convicted criminal from competing is the Olympics. There you represent a nation and its citizens and ultimately our government chooses the athletes. Olympics are more than just sport as well, but that is me going all kumbaya.

49. Jamie Locke says:

I believe there should be some screening by commissions for violent offenders simply because of the nature of the “profession” of employment.

1 – You fight illegal or assault someone, you should not get the privilidge of doing it professionally.

2 – If you are a pilot who smuglles, your licnece should be revoked, or at least not allowed to cross borders.

3 – If you assault children, you should not be paid to be around them (i.e. school teacher, coach etc.)

I’m just saying that if you can control yourself in an area, such as fighting, you should not be legally allowed to do it for money.

I’m not saying that once you’ve paid your dues you can’t grow from it and get licenced. If you were convicted of assault, served a sentence or paid you fine, as long as the judge placed no retriction on you than you can fight for money. But if charges are pending, or you’re a repeat offender, there should be restrictions.

50. Donald Duck says:

But Jamie it is the promotion who ’employs’ the fighter the commission just provides the licensing. Sort of like getting a driver’s license doesn’t get you a job with a cab company.

Donnie