Canadian Rumour Mill – October 9

Photo: Charles Penner

I would like to start things off by wishing MMA photographer Charles Penner a full, quick recovery from the mulitple injuries he sustained in a weekend vehicular accident. Charles Penner, who took the pictures on our site for Rumble in the Cage 46 (including the one of lovely ring girl on this column), got into a very serious accident on the way home from Lethbridge.

From Charles’ Facebook page:

“Turned left in front of an SUV doing 110, shattered knee, elbow, ankle, multiple surgeries in a bit. Still in Lethbridge. Sorry, won’t be able to upload the pictures from last night’s event anytime soon.”

Top MMA News would like to wish Charles all the best and a quick and full recovery.

On to the rumours:

• We always criticize Saskatchewan for not having a proper commission and holding illegal fights, rightfully so. We also know that commissions are not perfect either. Here is recent example: Elijah Richards, who was KO’ed in training Sept 25 and had to be Medi-Vac’ed to emergency in The Pas, was permitted to compete at Rumble in the Cage (RITC) on October 6. The Saskatchewan promotion XCWFC informed Richards that he could not fight on their September 29 or October 13 shows. However, Richards was permitted to fight in Lethbridge on the RITC card. When news got out that Richards was trying to fight in Alberta, Lee Mein (RITC), Ken Kupsch (KOTC) and Bernie Pohl (Lethbridge Commission) were all notified by the ICAF (International Combative Arts Federation – Head by Dave Lochert) about Eli Richards being KOed Sept 25th and had to be Medi-Vac’ed to emergency. Well, Richard’s competed and won at RITC by TKO. Very dangerous situation if you ask me! With all the latest news on chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), you would think that there would be more concern for head injuries.
  • Rumour has it that Fivestar’s 3rd show will be held on December 8th just west of Brandon, Manitoba.
  • Also look for Fivestar Fight League to return to Yellowknife on April 13, 2013 and possibly later again that year. They plan to make the northern outpost a regular stop on their MMA circuit.
  • Rookie Watch: Kyle Post is a kid to look out for. He will be debuting at the Score Fighting Series on October 19. Currently training at Adrenaline Training Centre, Post is a 6’6″ Welterweight with an 82″ reach and is one of Mark Hominick‘s sparring partners for UFC 154.
  • I’m hearing that Victor Valimaki will make his return to the cage in November for Aggression FC in Edmonton.
  • Matt Veal returns to Driller Promotions in Minnesota to take on Benly Xamonty. Kid Lightning is a sexy 8-1 in Minnesota!
  • Want to be on TV, Bellator is holding tryouts/auditions for their upcoming reality show on November 10th in Coconut Creek, Florida at the American Top Team facility. They are looking for Lightweight (155lbs) & Welterweight (170lbs) fighters over the age of 21 with at least three pro fights and a record above .500. The will have the involvement of Bertram van Munster (The Amazing Race) and will be broadcast on Spike in 2013. Good luck to any Canadian boys that choose to go down to audition.
  • Well here’s some good and bad news; You can watch Sarnia’s Score Fighting Series main card live on TV on The Score or on AXS TV, but you will not be able to watch the prelims unless you are in the Sarnia venue. As of right now, there will be no Internet stream for this event.
  • Speaking of SFS… Josh Hill vs LC Davis??? Rumours are swirling!

__________________
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: gossipqueen@topmmanews.com.

51 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – October 9 ”

1. mike kent says:

congrats to Eli Richards on his big win

2. The goods says:

Get well soon Charles always a nice guy and a class act. Very talented photographer can’t wait to see those rumble pictures when you recover.

3. Happy for you , Robinho. See you there!

4. Don't Call Me Leon says:

Where you training for this fight Mr. Robin Black? Finally someone stepped up to you!

5. Don't Call Me Leon says:

Or for you!

I’d like to wish all the best to Charles, hope he heals up as soon as possible and feels better! Get well soon Charles!

7. Derek Misk says:

robin should stick to commentating and writing on topmmanews. Even Jerry D could kick his ass….haha

Thanks guys.

There was never a problem finding someone to fight me lol. There’s tons that would love to punch me.

I want to fight again, I just told myself I would do it if I found a realistic opponent and had 8 weeks.

Derek is a great guy with a lot of heart that won’t roll over for anyone. He’s making his pro debut after a some good wins in amateur kickboxing and boxing and a shakier amateur MMA record in which he came to fight in every fight, including 3 rounds with Aiemann Zahabi. He’s a good challenge and a classy dude.

He’s a tough guy who I believe is at roughly my level and its going to be an honor fighting him.

Neither one of us are world beaters by anyone’s standards but we’re both going to give it our all.

It sure is an honor to fight on the first Tristar show. I’m really thankful.

Thanks all I’m really excited.

9. L-Boutin says:

It’s hard to believe that Dave “Lochert” Harris would do anyting positive for the sport of MMA. He is probably the single biggest reason Sask has such a bad rep for MMA.

Lochert consistantly puts on illegal shows with fighters that have very little to zero actual MMA training. No legitimate MMA gyms will have anything to do with him anymore.

If this is actually true, then it’s sad that a decent promoter like Lee Mein would still have this Richards kid on his show.

Good luck to Robin! Glad to see you back in there man!

11. kid lightning says:

Hey guys in regards to the rumour of me fighting benly xamonty in the main event of the driller/seg show, there has been a new opponent dropped on me. i had signed to fight benly but with some contract issues on the other end ill now be fighting wisconsin’s number 3 featherweight in Morgan Sickinger (10-6.
    I am super excited to fight and this is the last guy Mike Richman beat before signing with Bellator. its going to be a blast and I am even more happy to say i have 4 of our amateurs from Leading Edge MMA joining me on the card.
    Definitely some boys to watch out for!
    thanks
    love you guys and lots of snuggles

12. Real Fights 170lbs says:

Everyone always talks about how improved Ryan Machan is getting and he really is trying to make a run at it, which fair enough however at 170lbs he really needs to step up and face a real 170 lbs opponent.

Heres your chance RYAN MACHAN VS RYAN FORD for AFC in November.

No more excuses it’s time to settle the score and take a real deal fight.

This is your big shot you have been waiting for, it’s time to face a top oppenent and see where you stand!

As a fan of the sport this would be epic.

I think Ford is exclusive to Bellator man.

14. @Kid Lightning … if you are 8-1 in the US, then you are 1-7 in Canada.

What the hell is wrong with fighting in Canada?

You beat guys like Courtney Buck in the US !

15. kid lightning says:

im actually 9-1 in the US. lol a fight from 2007 is missing from my record. i dunno what it is hahahaha.
    all i know is that after i win this next fight i am deserving of at least being mentioned as close to the top 10. a win puts me at 6-3 in my last 9 and pretty much every fight against guys ranked top 10 somewhere.
    im looking to earn my spot.
    hugs smiles and love from kid lightning

Matt you have to stop sucking in Canada :) and fight like you do in the States man!

Good luck dude!
    Keep on being the sexiest guy from Thunder Bay in the fight game (sorry Gunner and Diesel)!

17. Kid Lightning says:

Thanks BKB.
    I’m working hard on the sexy thing. My next weigh in outfit may push that a little further.
    Maybe not for the best.
    Thank you for the support. Means a lot.

18. mash says:

AHHHHH No internet feed for SFS Sarnia? 4 hour drive seems a must now!!!!

anyone in Barrie Area carpooling? i have a large van and need seats ill also DD. have to return home that night as the wife will kill me!!!!

19. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Kid lightnings Canadian win was on a CFC

20. roy candy says:

damn, no prelims internet feed?? there’s some killers on there i wanted to watch.

21. Obviously says:

Kyle post is absolutely terrible!

22. cdnmmeh says:

regarding Eli Richards competing in RITC, after both the promoter and commission were notified is BULL SH!T. Moves like that will get someone seriously injured or killed and cause alot of problems for the sport. What was his coach and manager thinking? Bernie, you just proved your commission is crap. And Lee, that’s a typical scum bag promoter move, placing profits over athlete safety.

Lee and Bernie

23. Rob says:

Perhaps picking up the phone or using this interweb thingy could have cleared up this Eli RITC story pretty quickly. Shabby journalism is not just the hallmark of print I guess.

1. Eli had a doctors note saying he was fit to fight, the note was required because of the story going around that he had been concussed.

2 the story of a concussion was, we lets be generous and say, an excuse used by a fighter to get out of one fight card and on to another.

3. The complaints against Lee and Bernie are unfounded since they did do due diligence and they did ensure the fighter was healthy and good to go, before he fought.

4. The story of the concussion and the evil Lee and Bernie might have more to do with another promotion being upset they lost a fighter from their card, and not so much about a fighter being allowed to fight with a concussion.

24. E-town Mma says:

Edmonton has a big beef;

Why are lower promotions hand feeding there stars fighters (ticket sellers) opponents that are not equal skill level. It’s an epidemic which is ruining the sport.

Merrick Duggan is probably the biggest example I can find off the top of my mind.

The other hand feed fighter in boxing and MMA is Nick Draigic.

Boxing number on example is Pmac.

It’s just sad that promoters shelter there fighters from actual equal matched up fights.

25. MMAmgmt says:

So I guess with that dominant 1st rd ref stoppage Scott Hudson now gets the title of “Top Rookie prospect”??!

Great win against a tough opponent!!

26. christian ross says:

hey, so Robin black, I hear you called me out lol
    sorry my promoter (dave lochert) wouldnt allow this fight but was wondering after my fight this sunday if youd ever like to throw down id be more than interested, contact me at usdskater68@hotmail.com or even at home (306 652 0207) you can leave a message if i win this fight sunday dec 2nd 2012 on gofight live . tv i get a shot at the title but would rather turn pro and see what you have ;) much respect my friend and God bless but this may be against docs orders ;P but id love to fight you

27. christian ross says:

ps better just call me or faceboook christian a.d. ross youll see my pic
    lets get it on, i am without management lets do this

28. LBoutin says:

Christian, if you’re really interested in progressing in MMA the most important thing I can tell you is distance yourself from Dave Lochert and I’m assuming Champion Fight Club.

There are 3 really good teams in the city (Alliance, Scheer’s and Way of the Dragon) Join one of them, watch your skills improve immensely with a legit team behind you and go from there. Best of luck dude !

29. Sean Quinn says:

lol@Dave Lochert “promoting” someone.

30. Sean Quinn says:

Btw, Christian Ross, I’m always looking for a fight. I’m sure i can get one set up for early next year.

Lol @ Dave Lochert.

31. Sean Quinn says:

If you’re turning pro that is.

32. Snyper says:

Syd Barnier vs Sean Quinn

A great fight for any promotion in my opinion

33. Mitch Clarke says:

Sean Quinn vs Christian Ross

34. Sean Quinn says:

Barnier would be awesome!!
    Christian Ross would be like a fluffer fight.

35. Sean Quinn says:

A pre-Barnier fluffer that is. Not a fight between two fluffers. Cuz I’m no fluffer.

36. Snyper says:

Some promotor must want this great fight near the top of their card. Syd Barnier vs Sean Quinn. UNFLUFFERED

37. Sean Quinn says:

And when/why the hell did Robin ever “call you out”?

38. Sean Quinn says:

I’d rather be fluffered.

With all due respect I’ve never heard of you Mr. Ross. No idea what you’re talking about. Sorry.

I’m fighting tomorrow but I’ll talk to ya in January man.

135.6 beeatches and waiting for weigh ins!!!

41. Sean Quinn says:

You’re a fucking fibber, Robin!

on weight now, 2 1/2 hours ta kill.

dum dum dum dum doo bee do poop

a touch light headed and lookin ghoulish

43. Donald Duck says:

If Sean gets a fight can I fight Dave Harris?

Sorry, Dave Lockert. I always get that one confused.

I’m not cutting weight but I also haven’t been training much.

Donnie

44. Alex Caporicci says:

Robin Black says: “… a touch light headed and lookin ghoulish”

I can’t see Quinn letting this go.

45. mike kent says:

Good luck robin ! Give them hell !

46. Sean Quinn says:

I’ve got nothing. The son of a bitch is fighting and I’m not.
    But i will say that he posted a pic on facebook. Just when i thought the feeble, old, ugly ass motherfucker couldn’t get uglier…he proved me wrong.
    Yuck. I hope he wears a mask and a bodysuit when he fights.

47. Donald Duck says:

Yeah but if he wore a Mask and Body Suit he might accidentally mistake it for Saturday Night Date Night and be sad when you’re not there to cuddle him afterwards….

Donnie

48. steve hill says:

LMAO…Quinn your brutal

49. Sean Quinn says:

No, you’re brutal.

50. Christian Ross says:

Lol you guys are funny, well I’m quite confused that you never heard of me, not that I’m a prodigy or anything lol but I’m confused because we were being set up to fight, but that’s ok, dec 2nd I won, and I had a title shot on jan 19th but my opponent bailed leaving me apparently with the belt no contest because it was vacant, but that’s no way to win so I ha a match that same night with tommy wutunee and won, and Lboutin thanks man:) I have been with way of the dragon for some time now being trained by Dave mah and Elmer waterhen (kotc champ) and having fun I’ve heard of alpha fights XC and met AJ and now I’m fighting for honor fights march 23rd we will see how that goes, and one more Annie then pro, I’ve been contacted by king of the cage and management the same as Elmer’s but I’m not an idiot and going to rush into pro I want to know a little more and face a different level of guys, I left Xcw and Dave Lochert I gues you can say I saw his true colours leaving me and my girl and Dauda Keita in Yorkton with no way home it was horrible so I left and will no go back to champion or Xcw that’s for sure, thanks for the warning sorry I didn’t head it guys :/ and sean your funny man id love to train with you, have a great day guys!