Canadian Rumour Mill – October 9
I would like to start things off by wishing MMA photographer Charles Penner a full, quick recovery from the mulitple injuries he sustained in a weekend vehicular accident. Charles Penner, who took the pictures on our site for Rumble in the Cage 46 (including the one of lovely ring girl on this column), got into a very serious accident on the way home from Lethbridge.
From Charles’ Facebook page:
“Turned left in front of an SUV doing 110, shattered knee, elbow, ankle, multiple surgeries in a bit. Still in Lethbridge. Sorry, won’t be able to upload the pictures from last night’s event anytime soon.”
Top MMA News would like to wish Charles all the best and a quick and full recovery.
On to the rumours:
- We always criticize Saskatchewan for not having a proper commission and holding illegal fights, rightfully so. We also know that commissions are not perfect either. Here is recent example: Elijah Richards, who was KO’ed in training Sept 25 and had to be Medi-Vac’ed to emergency in The Pas, was permitted to compete at Rumble in the Cage (RITC) on October 6. The Saskatchewan promotion XCWFC informed Richards that he could not fight on their September 29 or October 13 shows. However, Richards was permitted to fight in Lethbridge on the RITC card. When news got out that Richards was trying to fight in Alberta, Lee Mein (RITC), Ken Kupsch (KOTC) and Bernie Pohl (Lethbridge Commission) were all notified by the ICAF (International Combative Arts Federation – Head by Dave Lochert) about Eli Richards being KOed Sept 25th and had to be Medi-Vac’ed to emergency. Well, Richard’s competed and won at RITC by TKO. Very dangerous situation if you ask me! With all the latest news on chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), you would think that there would be more concern for head injuries.
- Robin Black will make his return to competition at the inaugural Tristar Fights show and take on Derek Charbonneau.
- Rumour has it that Fivestar’s 3rd show will be held on December 8th just west of Brandon, Manitoba.
- Also look for Fivestar Fight League to return to Yellowknife on April 13, 2013 and possibly later again that year. They plan to make the northern outpost a regular stop on their MMA circuit.
- Rookie Watch: Kyle Post is a kid to look out for. He will be debuting at the Score Fighting Series on October 19. Currently training at Adrenaline Training Centre, Post is a 6’6″ Welterweight with an 82″ reach and is one of Mark Hominick‘s sparring partners for UFC 154.
- I’m hearing that Victor Valimaki will make his return to the cage in November for Aggression FC in Edmonton.
- Matt Veal returns to Driller Promotions in Minnesota to take on Benly Xamonty. Kid Lightning is a sexy 8-1 in Minnesota!
- Want to be on TV, Bellator is holding tryouts/auditions for their upcoming reality show on November 10th in Coconut Creek, Florida at the American Top Team facility. They are looking for Lightweight (155lbs) & Welterweight (170lbs) fighters over the age of 21 with at least three pro fights and a record above .500. The will have the involvement of Bertram van Munster (The Amazing Race) and will be broadcast on Spike in 2013. Good luck to any Canadian boys that choose to go down to audition.
- Thierry Quenneville just received his BJJ black belt and is looking for fights.
- Well here’s some good and bad news; You can watch Sarnia’s Score Fighting Series main card live on TV on The Score or on AXS TV, but you will not be able to watch the prelims unless you are in the Sarnia venue. As of right now, there will be no Internet stream for this event.
- Speaking of SFS… Josh Hill vs LC Davis??? Rumours are swirling!
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.