Hard Knocks 29 – Calgary – October 26

Date: October 26, 2012
Location: Century Casino Calgary in Calgary, Alberta
TV: Internet PPV
Tickets: Buy Tickets

Pro Fights:
150lbs- Mark Maruzs (3-3) vs. Rolando Cespedes (1-1)
135lbs- Mitch MacPhee (3-1) vs. Nick Urso (3-1)

Amateur Fights:
130lbs- Keegan Oliver (3-0) vs. Rick Pfeifer (4-1)
155lbs- Chris Chapman (3-1) vs. Cody Isaacson (4-1)
135lbs- BJ Baldonaldo (1-1) vs. Nequoyah Sethi (0-0)
165lbs- Justin Evans (1-0) vs. Brian Kong (0-0)
155lbs- Mike Parsons (1-1) vs. Randy Mahon (0-1)
155lbs- Tyler Kinghorn (0-0) vs. Liam McGowan (0-0)

63 Responses to “ Hard Knocks 29 – Calgary – October 26 ”

1. Ginger says:

Arashi-do red deer is 8-0 at hardknocks so far this year. Chance to make it 12 after this

2. Ginger says:

5-0 in 2011

3. G.O says:

Nice to finally see a more legit Card come from Hard Knocks. All the fights look even and well matched with the exception of the main event. None the less a step up for them.
    Thinking the best fight will be Maruzs vs Janssen.
    And I am Thinking this could be a real test for Janssen he had a rough fight with Arnett and sub’d him but face it Arnett had nothing to offer at that point in submission work (I’m sure he’s far better now) but Wolfgang fought him at the perfect time before he had learnt enough. Dont need to say much of his fight with Veltri except it’s Jesse Veltri lol. For wolfgang his real work was done as an amateur. Maruzs only has 1 legit win as a pro Mike Hodgson the other guys have a 1-3 record and a 2-10 record. So this will make a nice proving ground match for both fighters

4. Tyler Davis says:

Sick card maybe chris chapman will have a fight over twenty seconds?

5. Tyler Davis says:

Picks
    Machan
    Gang of wolves or equally intimitading wolfgang
    Macphee
    Porter
    Ginger
    Tan
    Parsons
    Bj
    Tba
    Chapman
    Evans
    Kinghorn

6. James Petryk says:

Tyler, did you seriously pick “TBA” to win?

7. Tyler Davis says:

ok ill take kong but that tba guys got a wealth of experience fights on like every card

8. James Petryk says:

good point

9. BJB says:

LOL at picking “TBA” because of his “wealth of experience from fightng on every card” haha

He’s one of these dinks who has 8 or 10 fight posters with his face on them up in his dojo from shows he never ended up fighting on.

…somebody’s ears are burning , Robin,….

13. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Hey ease up guys …you know I manage TBA….;)

14. Tank Neal says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 2 Thumb down 21

15. Tyler Davis says:

ya Chris Lytle DANM YOU FOR RETIRING!!!! ^FUCKING IDIOT

16. Tyler Davis says:

pardon my language

17. Tyler Davis says:

tell this guy he isnt a warrior https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfJUnt8k3is

18. Joe Doerksen says:

Hey Tank, you’ve been getting high and having sex with farm animales, haven’t you? You crazy guy!

19. Tank Neal says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 2 Thumb down 18

20. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Whether Robin got in the cage to be cool or he really loves mma that much…he gave pro fighting a shot…he has my respect as does any warrior who can climb those stairs…enter the cage…face another man…who wants nothing but to destroy you…have the cage door locked behind you ….and give it your all …in mortal combat…yes it a sport…with a certain amount of safeguards …as much as can be afforded…but realistically …your still putting your life on the line…for those special few…who choose and have the courage enough to do this!!!…including ROBIN BLACK! And those that came before him and those that will continue after him…have earned my respect and admiration 4 Life!…

As for Internet Tough Guys like yourself…that use troll names…to insult ppl on public forums…
    Have fun trying not to kill yourself from living in your parents basement still at the age of 47…never ever getting laid…and where your biggest accomplishment in life will be…coming on this forum and insulting Robin Black…then go to other Chat rooms where your troll buddies hangout…and discuss how cool you were for doing so….
    Your life is so awesome…that Brad Paisley wrote the song “Online” just for trolls like yourself Tank!

Robin you keep doin what you do…whether its fighting,reporting or your colour commentating …mad love and much respect for what you do and how you contribute to MMA…and especially Canadian MMA!

Thanks Shane for the kind words dude. Means a lot to me.

And Joe, thanks for bein you. :)

************

Ah, I remember the first time I got in the ring to be cool like it was yesterday.

It was a week before my 39th birthday, and I had been training twice a day for 18 months. I gave up a low level entertainment career in tv and music and took the risk to pursue my real love. And here I was getting to compete.

The whole crowd booed me, yelled that I was a f@ggot and stuff, which was so cool, then I fought my ass off for about 8 minutes before losing in front of everyone. I felt I had done my best (Joe was there!) so I was happy with it. Everyone hated me and wanted me to go away. Maybe it was because I wore make up or played in a band or was on tv or acted like an ass a lot. I dunno. But I had to deal with the fact that no one wanted me anywhere near the thing that I loved.

After that fight, I had tri-facial nerve paralysis in my face for 5 months. Fully paralyzed and without feeling from eye to teeth on the left side of my face. That was so cool.

I lost my next one too (cool!), in my home town of Winnipeg, as I was booed out of the building. That was so cool and so easy to take.

I won a few, lost more. I got to hold up a belt one night, was carried out on a stretcher another. I have injuries and pain and scars that I will have for the rest of my life, and I have moments of failure in front of thousands that I will feel horrible about forever. I went through a divorce because of training and fighting. I was choked out in front of my parents on the first night that I had seen them in 2 years. My hips and back ache most mornings and will till I die.

But hey, I got to be cool, right?

Truth is, I got so much from fighting that has made my life so amazing. I wouldn’t trade any of it for the world.

“Tank”, you absolute f@cking mental midget, fighting is not something that anyone, including a pussy or wannabe or douche or whatever-it-will-make-you-feel-like-less-of-a-total-loser-to-call-me can possibly do to “be cool”.

It takes dedication and sacrifice and will and risk and guts. Basically things you do not currently possess.

It will take all of these things and you will still most likely fail. I did. I failed much more than I succeeded.

Dude, get up off your ass. Stop hating people that are living life, and go live yours. Chase your dream. Make your own dreams happen.

Today is a turning point for you my friend. You can decide right now that you are going to stop hating people that are trying things, risking things, chasing things, and you can walk out your door right now and face the world and try to accomplish something. You can write your own story. You can decide to stop seeing people trying their best to do things and feeling jealousy and hate, and you can start seeing people doing things and use it as proof that, if a 43 year old 5’6 non-special idiot like me can get to do some things that he loves, that’s clear proof that you can do some things that you love too IF YOU GET YOUR ASS UP AND GO FOR IT instead of hating others.

I hope you do it man, really.

22. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Who said Robin was retired?

23. booboo says:

@TANK IF YOU DID IN 10 YEARS FOR THE SPORT WHAT ROBIN BLACK DOES FOR THE SPORT IN ONE DAY , YOU SIR WOULD BE COOL ALSO . CANADIAN MMA WOULD NOT BE AS GREAT AS IT IS IF IT WASNT FOR PEOPLE LIKE HIM WHOM LOVE THE ART OF FIGHTING . NOT TO MANY PEOPLE AT THAT AGE WHO STILL GET IN THE CAGE BECAUSE THEY LOVE TO COMPETE AT THAT LEVEL . HE IS A GREAT COMMENTATOR , A REAL FIGHTER , MANAGER AND MMA PIONEER . ONE THING I LOVE ABOUT HIM IS THAT HIS HEART FOR THE SPORT IS UNMATCHED . I AM ONE OF THE BIGGEST CRITICS ON HERE ( JUST ASK BTP ) AND HAVE A HARDCORE PRESENCE TO MY MADNESS , BUT TO RUN YOUR MOUTH ABOUT A GUY WHO PROBABLY SPENDS MORE THEN HE MAKES JUST TO GET IN THE CAGE BECAUSE HE LOVES THIS SPORT AND THE FIGHTERS INVOLVED IS JUST FUCKING MORONIC . KEEP IT UP BLACK , EVEN THOUGH YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE ALOT OF WHATS ON MY MIND , I DO RESPECT WHAT YOU DO FOR OUR SPORT , TY .

@BTP GREAT POST , AND I DO RESPECT THE HEART AND DETERMINATION YOU HAVE FOR THIS SPORT EVEN THOUGH I HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS DOESNT MAKE ME RIGHT !

OH YA TANK GO FUCK YOURSELF , CAUSE I THINK THATS THE ONLY WAY YOU ARE GONNA GET LAID , THE SHEEP ARE RUNNING SCARED BRO !

24. Donald Duck says:

Retarded Mark, someone said Robin was Retarded.

I agree it is a bit harsh.

25. Mike Davis says:

“You’re kidding right Tyler? Yes, TBA takes hundreds of fights per year, but backs out of every single one of them! Show me his record on Sherdog… you can’t because he bails every time, he’s a chump!”

Gold

26. Mike Davis says:

need some official TBA walk out shirts !

27. Tank Neal says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 2 Thumb down 15

28. barrie says:

Tank you should be thanked cause its people like you that motivate the people that make a difference in this world.. yo are tool of the day..

29. barrie says:

Piss tank

His name is Charly Wingate and there’s clearly something wrong with him.

He posted on The Score facebook page too.

Let’s just kinda ignore him he’ll go away eventually.

Best of luck Charly hope things get better for you man.

31. Donald "Team Tank" Duck says:

You shut yo Robin and leave my good buddy Tank alone.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

Donnie “Team Tank” Duck

Old woman!

“I’m not old”

Alright then, old man.

“I’m 37”

What?

“I’m 37, I’m not old”.

Well I can’t just call you man.

“You could have called me Dennis”.

I didn’t know you were called Dennis?

“Well you didn’t bother to ask, did you?”

33. Dylan da Chin says:

I don’t know about you guys, but So Sick of You is a pretty sweet song. MMA aside Robin Black has written some bangers, and for that I’ll always respect him.

That’s my input.

34. vlad says:

Robin, love your commenting, it is always great when people who commenting events actually know what they are talking about.I watched some of your fights. Some people get in to the ring to check the box – been there , done that, you are not one of them , you actually fought to win and was serious about it. For me that what counts. I deal with fighters every day and I know the difference between pretenders and real fighters. No matter how you look, or talk , or train, this thing lives inside of you and it is impossible to fake, just like impossible to fake love and friendship.You are either fighter or not, there is no grey zone in fighting business. Thanks for doing what youre doing Robin. Shane, great post , you articulated my thoughts, I would sign every word, thank you.
    As to keyboard worriers, the hell with them, let them have their glory here, what else do they have ?

Thank you so much Vlad kind words on a Tuesday morning (right before going to the damn dentist too) can really cheer a guy up.
    Much appreciated man thank you kindly.

36. Tyler Davis says:

Gotta agree Robin your comentary is awsome. Give the average fan more insight to whats going on in the fighters head. The nerves, emotions, ect. I think its great. P.s. Watched your old mma show on mtv all the time and said “i really got to get in this mma thing” i mean all our pride vhs’s made the sport seem so distant in comparison

37. Calgary MMA says:

Robin, we appreciate all you do!

38. Mahon says:

hey keith why is it saying the card is in estevan when its in calgary

39. @Mahon…..I don’t know. It is in Calgary. GFL or Hard Knocks must have posted it incorrectly on the GFL site.

40. BJB says:

Looking forward to watching Mahan, Janssen, Mattock, Pfeifer and Oliver.

41. Rick pfeifer says:

Is my fight off? Lacasse is out not Oliver as far as I know

42. Chappy says:

Sorry to say but my fight with Adam lacasse is off, he has heart problems or something, i wish all the good luck to adam and his recovery. Hope to find another opponent really soon!

43. BJB says:

@Pfeifter Keegan Oliver is not out…looking forward to watching your guys’ fight.

44. Ryan says:

Mark Maruzs is going to pull off the upset!

45. Tyler Davis says:

Cough ……no he wont….cough. I bet you twenty internet dollars. Lol jk ive seen mark fight he is a warrior. Got FOTN against penner at Pure. That was a scrap and a half. That being said wolfy is a beast. I think its going to be one hell of a fight though

46. Chappy says:

I am now fighting Cody Isaacson, from Oregon. He is 4-1, 155 lbs Chris chapman vs Cody issacson :D

UPDATE: Added Cody Issacson to take on Chris Chapman, added Gurdip Rangi to take on Brian Kong

48. Toosweet598 says:

Robin, as a fan and a MMA practitioner who has no fights and has only ever trained for the love of it. You have always had my respect for being able to get in there and fight your ass off. I have been suffering from the same facial paralysis on the right side of my face for over a month now from a punch. Not fun at all, getting better everyday though.

49. MacPhee says: