Canadian Rumour Mill – September 4

Wyatt Lewis

Unfortunately, we have to start this week’s column with heartbreaking news… It is with great sadness that we have to mention the sudden and tragic passing of long time respected Alberta MMA and BJJ vet, Wyatt Lewis. Wyatt was a great guy and a pioneer in Alberta MMA, having appeared on MFC 1, Roadhouse Rumble 2 (RITC predecessor), and Rage in the Ring 1, facing some of our country’s best in the early days of Canadian MMA (Mike Yackulic, Nick Ring, and KSOS). Our thoughts are with Wyatt’s family and friends.

• Big congrats to Luke Harris, who was awarded his Black Belt in BJJ by Robert Drysdale on Saturday night.
  • Although listed on the KOTC Calgary card, Jesse Veltri is indefinitely suspended by the Manitoba Commission. Don’t expect him to fight on that card unless doctors can determine the mysterious ailment that caused him to pull out of his last fight hours before show time.
  • Tap Star’s Mike Imperato is not on the Freedom Fight card anymore. He is uninjured and still looking for fights, help the man out!
  • MFC will be introducing Bantamweights to their roster in 2013. About time!
  • I know how you all love talking about the ECSC, here’s some more insight from the Edmonton Journal on their overcharging from last year (which we’ve mentioned in the past).
  • Firas Zahabi is doing a Jackson’s style fight night due to the lack of MMA cards in Quebec.
  • Expect Firas’ brother, Aiemann Zahabi, to fight in Tristar Fights. It was impossible to get him fights in Fight Quest amateur fights, but maybe if they pay, an opponent will be crazy enough to volunteer.
  • According to Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos, Instinct MMA will have shows October 21st, December, and February that he will fight on. Those will definitely be some exciting fights!
  • HEY MIKE WILLIAMS, YOU HAVE NO MAIN EVENT AT ELITE 1… why not get Tristan Johnson on the card and have him face Brad Duguay or Gavin Tucker for the vacant Featherweight title? I’d buy tickets to see that!
  • Rakan Khatib is injured and will be replaced with Joe Keesick on the AFC 11 “Takeover” this month.
  • Here’s some info on some top Canadian MMA fighters competing in Grappling:
    • Denis Kang from Tristar Gym will meet Daniel Tsatsos from Nova Uniao Canada in a 10 minute, 205 pound, NOGI SUPER FIGHT, under IBJJF rules, on October 13 at the Toronto Grappling Grand Prix.
    • Luciano Ucci from BTT-Canada will meet Kajan “Ragin” Johnson from Zahabi MMA in a Brown Belt NoGi Super Fight at the Montreal Grappling Grand Prix on September 15.
  • Craig “War Dog” Hudson’s boxing opponent, Frank Rill has quite an amateur pedigree and was a sparring partner of one of the world’s top HW boxers, Tyson Fury.
  • The long awaited Brad Cardinal vs David Letourneau fight could finally happen on the November 2nd AFC 12 card in Calgary. Also look for one of Canada’s top HW prospects, Ryan Hunter to be on this show. Can’t wait!
  • Vladimir Starcencov will be on the Bellator 79 at Casino Rama on November 2, he will face Adam Parkes. This should be a great fight as Parkes is one of Europe’s brightest Heavyweight prospects.
  • World Series of Fighting is targeting a November start with possible airing on NBC Sports Network. Good news for Kurt Southern!
  • Blud comes home… Vaughn Anderson is coming home to Barrie, Ontario for winter holidays and is looking to scrap on home soil. Vaughn has fought many weight divisions but would love to fight primarily at Welterweight. Blud is 16-1 and has never fought in his home country before. Some promoter must have room on their card for a 16-1 Welterweight in Dec/Jan!
  • Both Chris Horodecki and Lyndon Whitlock are open to fighting each other.  Would the OAC approve that fight for the Score Fighting Series show in Sarnia? I would definitely hope so!
  • John Fraser wants the toughest fight he can find non-Ontario wise. The Haggis Basher has asked for anyone at 135-45 in the WORLD that is willing! Come on SFS set it up fellas!

118 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – September 4 ”

1. Curt Henning says:

Wooley and Imperato are on the same team

I’m sure Misha has difficulty finding fights at 205, so to keep busy he fights at HW (as many fighters in that weight category do)

Sometimes it’s clear people have no idea what they are talking about

2. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

Way to get all fancy with the big people words Brent.

3. Gunner says:

I get a kick out of when BTP gets raped for just taking any fight for Wardog but then when a guy like Brent decides he wants to rationally go over his options and opponents he also gets ripped lol there really is no making folks happy Brent is still pretty new to the game (exception of wrestling) in my opinion he is still fairly young and its a smart move to by pass Wooley as an opponent unless like he said it was on a stage that PEOPLE are going to see that great match up and the reward of even a great fight win or lose will boost his status. You do that on a show where no one sees and all they see is a number added to the L column

4. Joe Doerksen says:

Hi Gunner! I miss you sir. Terribly.

5. mike kent says:

Words of wisdom right there from gunner.

6. Gunner says:

Joe Sir i cannot wait to see you punchy kicky and hopefully your still making a weekend visit to punchy kicky me soon after :)

7. Wardog says:

Yeah Gunner I hear yeah, I just want to fight, it really doesn’t matter who the opponent is for me, it just comes down to if I prepared for it or not, I feel I can compete with any heavyweight if prepared, I don’t want to pick and choose my opponents or look for the easy win, took a few short notice fights when i wasn’t prepared but I’ve been steady training now so I’m prepared at all times, which has made me a more dangerous fighter,sure people say to pick and choose your opponents and look for the win, but I love this sport so much just want to be challenged just want to fight, for all you true warriors out there stand proud.

8. Paul Hudson says:

Hell yeah!

9. MMA Truth says:

So Luke finally was able to buy a black belt :( next up KRU Luke Harris with his killer stand up

10. Sean Quinn says:

Lolz. Luke Harris is a pretty fucking legit blackbelt, retard.
    Haters gonna hate…

Luke is the man, simply one of the best grappling talents in the country! That blackbelt was long deserved! Congrats again!

12. Idolmaker says:

No shit! I’d be disgusted if my boss talked shit about me.

13. Idolmaker says:

Is Quinn sitting on your lap????

14. mike kent says:

even though i wholeheatedly disagree with what mma truth said i did literally spit my drink out when i read that lol . Luke is an extremly legit BJJ practitioner and black belt complimented by being undeniably one of the best Judo guys in the nation . His grappling pedigree isnt really debatable lol . i dont think drysdale sells black belts .

Kru harris was halarious though lol . either way if you fight luke you probally dont wann lock up with him lol

15. Sean Quinn says:

Bobby is driving Miss Daisy.

16. Sean Quinn says:

I mean Quinn.

17. Idolmaker says:

Miss Quinn? I was sure I saw at reitmans in the petite section, in st albert! I was with my wife ftr

18. Idolmaker says:

Hudsons 17 thumbs up on this last comment, is more than the total thumbs up on all of his manager/coach comments combined.