Canadian Rumour Mill – August 13
We had a pretty weak Rumour Mill last week,. Everyone was out camping and having a good time and no one was talking to me. Well I kicked and screamed and I think this week’s edition is more gossipy and better, lol.
But before we get started I do have one gripe: I really hope AXS TV gets their channel carried in Canada real soon, I looked everywhere on Friday night for a feed and couldn’t find one. I had to find and watch it Saturday afternoon. :)
- Nordine Taleb is in the Bellator WW Tournament, but for some reason it does not look like Ryan Ford will be competing in that tourney. Very strange, especially after the exciting “qualifier” win he had in his Bellator debut.
- Guillaume “Il Toro” de Lorenzi will face three time Bellator veteran Josh Quayhagen at Bellator 76.
- Where are They Now? So I asked about Ben Greer and nobody had any info, but I am going to try again with a new name. Whatever happened to Todd Gouwenberg? The big man hasn’t competed since his Feb ’09 loss to Martin Desilets.
- Ed Hoyt is trying to get Saint John, NB to allow Amateur MMA. If all goes well, a MMA event is set to go at the Lord Beaverbrook Arena on either September 22 or 23.
- Everyone is talking about this, so I might as well put it up. Richard Arsenault vs Matt MacGrath at Elite 1 MMA!
- Look for the next Victoria event to be early November (Nov 3?) from AFC. Let’s hope Derek Medler makes the card as he has not fought in a year. I remember Aggression announcing they wanted Omic to take on Medler, so let’s see that awesome fight!
- Speaking of AFC, I’m curious to hear if Josh Hill, Alvin Robinson, and John Salter are still champs or were their belts part of the old setup?
- Here’s some boring stuff for you. :) The Canadian Amateur Mixed Martial Arts Federation has been founded with Dr. John Williams and Bill Mahood being the driving forces behind this endeavour. Mr. Williams will rep Eastern Canada, Mr. Morneau will rep Central Canada, and Mr. Mahood will rep Western Canada. THE CAMMAF will be supported by the IMMAF. If you’re further interested click on the link. http://www.immaf.org/2012/06/
- Ari Taub has committed 50% of the proceeds from HK27 on Friday September 7th and HK28 on Friday October 26th to KidSport Calgary which strives to remove the financial barriers that prevent some kids from playing organized sport. To date Hard Knocks has raised over $90,000 for local athletes, community organizations, and charities!
- Arguably Canada’s greatest Heavyweight fighter of all time, Tim Hague, has seemingly retired. Here’s hoping that he takes a break, sees that at times styles make fights and decides to come back.
- On the topic of big men, where’s Jared Kilkenny? Anyone know how he’s doing since that gruesome arm snap in his RITC fight with Moise Rimbon?
- Did You Know? The Manitoba Commission has a 3 concussion rule? If they know a fighter has been concussed three times in a year, they will medically suspend you for a year. By the way, Kyle Oliveira’s AFC fight was pulled due to this rule. With more emphasis placed in all sports on concussions and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE), all MMA commissions should have a similar rule!
- Look for Prestige FC to return with the 5th installment of their show in either October or November.
- So the MFC has announced their next show is on October 26th. Does this mean there is no outside of Edmonton expansion happening this year? I remember there being a lot of talk about Ontario and US shows this year…
- Staying on the MFC – surely Graham Spencer will make his Maximum Fighting debut at MFC 35 and kick off the Featherweight division. And maybe we’ll see the Bautista vs Fadai rematch, as there was a ton of trash talk and then the fight disappeared off MFC 34.
- Oh, and the MFC did not scrap their Lightweight division, that was just the Black Prince running on emotion from yet another LW title fight that had to be scrapped due to weight miss!
- Team Nogueira’s blackbelt Thiago Goncalves (16-3) is returning to Canada and looking to scrap. Any promoter out west looking for a very solid Welterweight or Middleweight might want to sign him.
- After a half a year absence from MMA, look for the Ringside organization to re-emerge later in 2012. Good to hear that one of the premier Canadian MMA organizations will return!
- And to finish things off for this week, here’s a weird video Ronda Rousey made for her fight with Sarah Kaufman. http://youtu.be/QxrkM_cLEV0
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: email@example.com.