Canadian Lightweight MMA Rankings – August 2012

It has been half a year since Top MMA News ranked the Lightweights. Not much has changed on the top end of Canada’s 155ers, however, there has been some upheaval at the bottom of the rankings.

With Chris Horodecki moving to Featherweight and Kurt Southern inactive, two spots freed up in the Top 10. Read on to learn the new arrivals to Canada’s Top 10 Lightweights!

Top 10 Canadian Lightweight Rankings

1. Mark Bocek (11-4) – Previous Rank (1) – Bocek has been the #1 Canadian Lightweight since these rankings began and Top MMA News is not about to remove him from his lofty perch after he earned the unanimous decision win against John Alessio at UFC 145. His next fight should be against a title contender. Next Fight: TBD.

2. Sam Stout (18-7-1) – Previous Rank (2)– Stout has fought twice in 2012. First, he lost to Thiago Tavares at UFC 142 and then he incorporated the takedown into his game en route to winning the Spencer Fisher trilogy. Stout remains a solid UFC fighter, who entertains the fans, but is not near the title contender level at this point in his career. Next Fight: TBD.

Jesse Ronson (photo: Jason Bouwmeester)

3. TJ Grant (18-5) – Previous Rank (3) – Following an excellent win over Shane Roller, the Nova Scotia fighter defeated Carlo Prater by Unanimous Decision to keep his record unblemished at 155.  Grant, who is on his first two fight winning streak in the UFC, faces a big test in Evan Dunham next.  If he gets past Dunham, expect Grant to keep climbing this ladder.  Next Fight: vs Evan Dunham at UFC 152 on September 22.

4. John Makdessi (9-2) – Previous Rank (4) – After being dismantled by an overweight Dennis Hallman last December, Makdessi decided to bulk up his frame to better handle the larger UFC Lightweights.  Unfortunately, the result this time had Makdessi missing weight and not looking sharp in a poor showing against Anthony Njokuani.  Makdessi is taking some time off to regroup right now.  The Bull needs to gain confidence in his solid all around game and possibly head down to Featherweight as he is undersized against UFC 155ers.  Regardless of any criticism, Makdessi is still #4 in Canada.  Next Fight: TBD

5. John Alessio (34-16) – Previous Rank (6) – John Alessio finally got the call back to the UFC in 2012, however, Canada’s Natural went 0-2 in the big show and got his walking papers.  First, Alessio lost in three rounds to the aforementioned Bocek and then Shane Roller won a decision over him.  Despite the losses, Alessio improves one spot on these rankings due to Chris Horodecki dropping to 145.  Next Fight: TBD

6. Kajan Johnson (19-11-1) – Previous Rank (7) – Kajan Johnson dominated Richie Whitson, who was on a five fight win streak, for his second consecutive strong outing for the Maximum Fighting Championship at MFC 31.  Since then, Ragin’ has been inactive due to a broken orbital bone suffered in training.  Let’s hope we see Kajan back in the cage soon! Next Fight: TBD.

7. Mike Ricci (7-2) – Previous Rank (9) – After losing a Ringside title fight to Daron Cruickshank, Ricci returned to action against Tony Hervey and got back in the win column with a unanimous decision.  Thanks to the win, and the inactivity of Kurt Southern, Ricci moves up two spots in these rankings.  No word on his next fight at this time.  Next Fight: TBD

8. Mitch Clarke (9-2) – Previous Rank (10) – Like Alessio, Clarke moves up in the rankings despite losing two in a row in the UFC.  Clarke fought bravely against Anton Kuivanen at UFC 149 after injuring his leg in the first minute of their fight and even won the fight on one judge’s scorecard.  Unlike Alessio, it appears that Clarke will get another shot in the UFC.  Next Fight: TBD

Alex Ricci (photo: Peter Chatterton)

9. Jesse Ronson (10-2) – Previous Rank (NR) – The first of two new fighters to Canada’s Top Ten is Jesse Ronson.  The Bodysnatcher has been the busiest Lightweight on this list by fighting, and winning, four times in the past year.  Two of those wins came against highly regarded Canadians – Jason Saggo and Brad Causey. Now on a five fight win streak, Ronson’s next opponent will be Alex Ricci in a fight that will see the winner vault up these rankings and, more importantly, possibly receive an invite to the UFC.  Next Fight: vs Alex Ricci at SFS on August 25.

10. Alex Ricci (5-0) – Previous Rank (NR) – Ricci has progressed through better and better opposition in his young MMA career.  Although, reluctant to place a fighter with five fights on the Top 10, Alex Ricci has forced Top MMA News’ hands with impressive wins over Iraj Hadin and Tim Smith in his last fights.  Next is an all important fight against the #9 ranked Jesse Ronson.  A win means Ricci solidifies his spot in the Top 10, while a loss will surely leave him outside the Top 10 as Guillaume de Lorenzi is anxiously awaiting to regain his rightful spot in these rankings.  Next Fight: vs Jesse Ronson at SFS on August 25.

Fighters who dropped out of Top 10 – Chris Horodecki (dropped to Featherweight, was 5th), Kurt Southern (inactive, was 8th)

Just out of Top 10:
Curtis Demarce (12-10)
Shane Campbell (6-1) – Next Fight: vs Steve Beaumont at Unified Aggression on October 12
Brad Cardinal (16-8)
Steve Beaumont (6-0) – Next Fight: vs Shane Campbell at Unified Aggression on October 12
Jose Rodriguez (7-1)
Mukai Maromo (7-2) – Next Fight: vs Adam Lynn at MFC 34 on August 10

Related Posts:
Canadian Lightweight Rankings – December 2011
Canadian Lightweight Rankings – June 2010
Canadian Lightweight Rankings – December 2010
Canadian Lightweight Rankings – August 2010
Canadian Lightweight Rankings – March 2010
Canadian Lightweight Rankings – November 2009

83 Responses to “ Canadian Lightweight MMA Rankings – August 2012 ”

1. Josh Machan says:

I don’t want to take anything away from Mitch. I had only fought at lw when we fiught. I was very excited to fight Mitch because I think he is very talented. I would have liked to see him have a few more tough fights before he made it but who in this sport would say no to the ufc.

2. Graham Weenk says:

Kinda crazy Alessio cut for losing 2 short notice fights against tough as hell bocek and a solid ufc vet in Roller, while Mitch not cut after losing to 2 guys whose only UFC wins are against him… no offense to Mitch of coarse he’s taking the fights he’s given. Just seems like an odd situation and Alessio getting the short end of the stick.

3. LBoutin says:

I agree with Graham 100%.

I think Alessio would have beaten Cholish, Kuivanen and Clarke if he got the chance.

Alessio is getting the shaft for sure. A quick scan of the UFC’s LW roster and there has to be 20-25 guys that IMO Alessio would beat pretty handily.

4. Josh Machan says:

Alessio got a raw deal. I guess you can’t do the ufc a favor.

It looks like Mike Ricci’s next fight might be at Welterweight on TUF 16… he’s been confirmed to be one of the 32 fighters vying for a spot in the house.

6. Mr Jason says:

After this weekend Alex should drop out
    Of top 10 and Saggo should replace him. 7-1 with 6 wins via submission and his only loss to Ronson (split desc. Loss)
    Just saying :)

Gotta disagree with my good friend Mr. Jason F.

The bizarre judging by a bad judge that produced a split decision in the Ronson fight aside (Saggo was beaten much more soundly by Ronson than Ricci was) and my admiration for Saggo aside as well, I think Ricci’s gutsy performance in last night’s fight carries much more weight than a workmanlike win over an unranked Eric Attard.

I am a huge fan of Saggo as a fighter and especially as an individual, and I think if he fights and beats a top flight opponent soon he will vault to the top 10.

I don’t agree with Mr. Jason, but “workmanlike” win?
    Robin were you actually watching during the Saggo’s first round RNC win over Attard? There’s nothing workmanlike in winning in 3:24 secs, come on man.

Ya I guess that’s the wrong word.

Jay got in there and got the fight to the ground, and took complete control.

It was an excellent victory and a nice fight.

Wrong verbage.

I was looking for a way to say that a guy presumably ranked in the top 15 did hs job and executed well against a guy in the top 40.

No offense intended. I am a big Jay Saggo fan.

I guess it depends on how you compare a fight of the night loss against the #9 ranked guy against an efficient win over a guy ranked between 25 and 40.

All just opinion based I guess.

Jay needs to fight a stud next. An undeniable bad ass.

Jay is a supertalent and a cool cat its time for a big move so there’ll be no debate.

Big love to Saggo.

Let’s all move back towards this website being a place for polite and respectful opinion and debate.

I responded to an opinion with an opinion of my own.

Bobby pointed out I could have done it better. I agree for sure.

This place has been a great place to share ideas and debate, I hope we can do that more.

Thanks Bobby appreciate the push in the right direction.

LOL, whatever man. Great job on SFS bud

13. Mr Jason says:

Hey guys
    I didn’t intend this to be an argument, and both Robin and Bobby bring up valuable points. In all honesty we have tried to line Saggo up with opponents since April with No success. People just didn’t want to fight him, big props to Attard for stepping up and taking on the fight. Now Robin you may think he’s a top 40 guy (Attard) but believe me, our entire camp trained Saggo as of he was a top 10.
    Aside from that I want to thank Robin, this was the first time I got to talk with you one on one and I must say it was fun and you are very knowledgeable and work hard on what you do.

Mr Jason

14. I think Saggo and Ricci comes down to who you think is a better win: Derek Boyle or Iraj Hadin. Both were 6-3 at the time Saggo and Ricci fought them.

This one may be too close to call. They should settle it in Sarnia!

15. Mr Jason says:

Saggo Camp has agreed to fight Alex Ricci, SFS make this happen!!

Although you are totally brand new to this business Jason, you seem like a somewhat smart guy.

After Jay’s first loss, his team were smart enough to have him not fight a fighter on a roll, but to fight 5-3 Kevin Morin, who had much lower skill levels.

Don’t you think its rude to assume Alex’ coaches are less intelligent and, only 3 days after his first loss (before his body temperature has even returned to normal), would be begging to fight a 7-1 brown belt coming off 2 wins?

Again I know you’re completely new, but its customary to let a fighter heal up his body and mind after a painful loss before you start demanding people to ‘make this fight happen’.

These fighters are all in the same boat and they have a lot of respect for each other and know what its like to go through this. I can’t speak for Saggo but I know him to be a fantastic person, I don’t think you’d see him being pushy with a fighter before he’s even had time to digest his evening or before his swelling has started to go down.

Alex is a great human being and a really good friend and as you can imagine this is not the best week he’s ever had.

All fighters go through it the good ones get stronger.

18. I'll Say It says:

I agree with you Robin Alex taking that fight does not make sense let the loss sink in the body and mind heal then decide what’s best.

But then again Alex might want to keep fighting the toughest guys out there,

Robin Do you manage Alex? It sounds like it,

19. Mr Jason says:

Hey Robin

First thank you for the heads up, I can completely see where your coming from. Please know that it is not my intention to disrespect anyone, however I think you may be reading into it a little and making a mountain out of a mole hill. BUT I can see where your coming from and I know how much passion you have for this sport and its fighters, that being said I can see why your second last post made it sound like I was a disrespectful monster lol. Not my intention, and I will make this VERY clear. Alex Ricci is a Monster, tough and skilled. We dont take his camp to be less intelligent at all, in fact His camp is definably one of the strongest in Ontario or else he would not be where he is. IF this fight were to happen, Sarnia or in November in Hamilton again, I think this would be fight of the night for sure. I also Agree with your last post, Alex is a great guy, he was in our room for warm ups and he made it a point to shake everyone hand and talk with them. I have never seen someone smile that much before a fight, truly a humble and great fighter.
    Again I thank Robin for the help, But I truly dont believe that you think my intentions were malicious in any way.
    That being said, what I am disappointed in with you Robin is that there was a cold drink waiting for you at Saggo’s after party and you didn’t show like you said you would, We were looking forward to having you swing by for a few minutes, But i saw how busy you were so that drink has been shelved and you have an IOU with us ;)

Thanks Jason, appreciate that, much respect.

I don’t know if you did intend to offend, but my sensitivity meter goes off when people don’t give a hard working fighter a week of a break before putting their own wants ahead of the injured fighter.

I genuinely tend to think Jason and Mr. Able and Kru Mel would agree with me.

That’s all.

Dammit, I regret missing out on that drink! Please let the next one be on me!
    Again, thanks and respect.

@Say it, Alex’ mom and sister manage him, but he and his family are close friends and they know I’d always help them in any way.

When I call my friends fights I pride myself on being impartial (or, if I sway one way I can tend to slightly favor the opponent) but when I hang with my buddies here on the internet I let my thoughts fly.

Alex is a gem of a young man who had the fight of the night not go his way 3 days ago.

Give him a break.

21. Jamie Locke says:

Don’t be so touchy Robin.

Of course you must repect a guy who’s coming off his first loss, but that doesn’t mean you can’t suggest tough match-ups for his next fight. I think it shows more respect for the guy to suggest he gets right back on his horse and joins the race rather than suggest he takes some time off or takes an easier fight for his next one.

I don’t think Mr J showed any disrespect or went against any “customary procedure”. Ricci is an awesome fighter, his last fight was a war and as a fan I’m looking forward to him coming back, taking another tough fight and climbing back up the rankings.

Sensitivity meter can be set to ‘mega oversensitive’ when you’re feeling for a buddy and then it goes off when it goes off.
    You’ve been there before Jamie I’m sure when you’ve been with a good friend who is sore and down and tired.

You’re passionate for these guys and I know you’ve been there whether its right or wrong.

And I’d genuinely be responding the same way if someone was trying ‘SFS make this fight happen’-ing for Meisel or Fraser or Solomon or any of the guys who’s night didn’t go their way Saturday.

I’ve been there. It’s painful.

When you study these guys to prepare to do your best to call them, you learn about their mind and heart and family and dreams and philosophies and passions.
    You get to know them and many of them are really special.

They spent months of their life dedicated to a single goal, a goal which didn’t quite work out.

You feel for them.

Only one guy wins and he’s celebrating for a week or 2. His life is a bit brighter. Food tastes better. They’re thrilled.

Its not that way for the guy who didn’t win. Its painful for them.

Think about it.

24. Jamie Locke says:

I completely understand the passion, and I understand that sick feeling you get when you see one of your buddies lose. Especially when you’ve watched them train their ass off for weeks in preparation for the battle and go in there the best they’ve ever looked only to come out on the losing end.

I do get sensitive when people then critize the fighter, but I love to see encouragement and have people be excited to see them get back in there. It shows that their fans are actually fans not just with them until they lose one. Ricci is a great fighter, I’m pumped to see who he comes back against and I hope, as I am sure many do, that he learns from the loss and comes back like a animal we haven’t seen before.

Maybe it’s just a difference of opinion between us, but like The Haggis Basher, although he just suffered a loss that broke a 7 fight streak, I still think he’s an animal. I’d say my favorite BW to watch for entertainment and excitment. He lossed, but yet I am amped to see who, when and how he comes back.

I don’t critize their loss, I don’t look down upon it, I enjoy their fighting style and look forward to seeing them recover mentally (and physically in some cases) and return stronger than ever.

Strangely, seeing a friend or a fighter I’m a fan of lose is not challenging.

A fight is a moment, and its an awesome moment. Its real. Its immediate. Its urgent.

One guy wins and one guy loses but, in the moment, I’m hoping both get to show what they’ve worked hard on and both get to show their heart and skills and have a great fight.

The night-of, I felt worse for Lyndon Whitlock than I did for fighters I dig like Attard and Solomon and Fraser and Ricci.

But, in the week after, I can’t help but feel for the guys who are going through the week after.

I probably take losses worse than some guys do (maybe I’m a pussy) but the week after a loss is just so devastating in my personal experience.

I can’t help but feel for these guys. They all want it so bad.

Anyways, that’s just me. Sorry if I get a bit girlie about it don’t mean to.

The thing I love about this game is how important it can feel, how much passion some fighters and coaches and fans can attach to these contests. I’m one of those types.

26. Cam Yallits says:

i thought that the SFS card was amazing, I was really impressed with everyone. I’d love to see Shane and Mukai fight some of these guys in the Top 10 soon. Mukai and Ricci would be great to see.

27. Boxing Fan turning MMA fan says:

The fights were amazing..I wish I was there..the fighters were very impressive…I say ryan Dickson vs shane Campbell? Campbell did just fight at 170 and i beleive their records might be simarlier…on the feet shane should win and on the ground i don’t think shane would have a disrespect to either fighter. I would make the trip. Ronson needs to fight a former UFC/WEC/strikeforce fighters..he is ready? Or at least he appears to be ready and the same goes for josh hill. Wow, talented fighters in Canada..can’t wait to see what the future holds for some of these young guys and yes I am an old boxing guy. Hats off to MMA.

28. K. RASMUS says:

Alex Ricci is a very exciting fighter . He’s money for a promotion.

29. hamiltonian says:

Jordan Jewell vs Ryan Dixen

30. I'll Say It says:

Thanks for clearing that up Robin, I know you get sensitive about situations like this but sometimes a loss really helps a fighter out especially coming early in his career, Fighters take more from a loss then a win, (my opinion). Yes it hurts for a bit but I’m sure Alex will watch that fight and learn where he needs to improve, and always remember this feeling and will fuel him to be even better,

I said it on another post look at Shane Campbell the loss to Dave Mazany was the best thing that could have happened to him, it showed him and all his friends and fans that even though his stand up is great with out a ground game he will not make it in Mma, After that loss he focused on bjj winning tournaments and now look at him and I bet when he returns from Brazil his Jitz is gonna be even more legit.

With wins over Alex Ricci and Ryan Healy since these rankings, where does Jesse Ronson sit now… not much room to move up with all the Zuffa fighters above him although Kajan will drop due to inactivity and Mitch Clarke coming off a pair of losses I think I’d put him at #7! Hopefully he gets a call up to the UFC soon!

Also, has TJ Grant done enough to surpass Mark Bocek and/or Sam Stout?

32. BodySnatcher says: