Canadian Light-Heavyweight Rankings – July 2012

No fights equals no movement in the top four of these rankings. However, the bottom of the rankings are very much in flux with fighters dropping in and out of the top 10.

On a disappointing note, a stalwart of the top Canadian Light-Heavyweights has hung up his gloves. Top MMA News would like to thank Dwayne Lewis for his great fights he has given his legion of fans.  Who can forget Lewis’ KO over Marvin Eastman at MFC 23?  Lewis will be remembered as a outstanding fighter in the cage and an outstanding person outside of it.

Official Canadian Light-Heavyweight Rankings
1. Ryan Jimmo (16-1) – Previous Rank (1)– Jimmo pulled out of his Karlos Vemola fight earlier this year so his long-awaited UFC debut will finally happen at UFC 149 against Anthony Perosh.  Can Jimmo stop the Hippo’s three fight UFC win streak

Jimmo kicks Newton (photo by Jason Bouwmeester)

Jimmo kicks Newton (photo by Jason Bouwmeester)

and extend his own 16 fight streak?  Next fight: vs Anthony Perosh at UFC 149 on July 21.

2. Krzysztof Soszynski (26-12-1) – Previous Rank (2) – Is Krzysztof Soszynski’s career over? Soszynski has been throwing around the word ‘retirement’ around as he is coming into fights around 60% due to injuries suffered throughout his career.  Depending on his doctors’ advice and his training results, KSOS may be done.  If all goes well, we may see him in Toronto at the end of the year.  Next Fight: TBD

3. Roger Hollett (13-3) – Previous Rank (3) – Hollett got an invitation to Bellator and defeated John Hawk.  He was to fight Jeremy Horn and then enter the Bellator Light-Heavyweight tourney, but injuries forced The Hulk to pull out of both.  Good thing is that Hollett is cleared to train again.  Maybe we will see him by the end of 2012. Next Fight: TBD

4. Steve Bossé (9-1) – Previous Rank (4) –  There was no ring rust for Steve Bossé.  After not fighting for a year, Bossé looked impressive in his win over Houston Alexander at Instinct MMA.  Despite breaking his hand, Bossé managed to KO ‘The Assassin’ with a vicious right elbow for his seventh consecutive victory.  Unfortunately, Bossé is still recovering from his injuries and, like Soszynski and Hollett, will not be in the cage until late 2012 or 2013, so the expected Babalu bout will be further delayed.  Next Fight: vs TBD

5. Nick Penner (11-2) – Previous Rank (7) – Despite losing his UFC debut, the Silent Assassin moves up two spots.  Penner lost to Anthony Perosh in his UFC debut as the rookie jitters caught up with the Manitoba native and he was stopped with a second remaining in the first round.  Penner is also currently injured as his previously shot hip is acting up in training. No word on

Nick Penner (Photo by Jason Bouwmeester)

when, or if, Penner will be able to resume training. Next fight: vs TBD.

6. Victor Valimaki (17-8) – Previous Rank (9) – Valimaki moves up three spots thanks to the retirement of Dwayne Lewis and the inactivity of  Martin Desilets.  More importantly, Valimaki moves up after decisively stopping #8 Canadian Light-Heavyweight, Tim Chemelli, and halting his three fight losing streak in the process.  Next fight: TBD.

7. Peter Nolan (4-1) – Previous Rank (NR) – The Bus Driver was the busiest fighter in this Top 10 since our last ranking going 2-1 since December 2011.  The Tap Star MMA fighter, also ranked at Heavyweight, defeated Caleb Grummett and Sebastien Gauthier before losing  to Cody Donovan at Instinct MMA 4.  Next fight: TBD

8. Tim Chemelli (10-3) – Previous Rank (10) – After losing to the highly-ranked Nick Penner and Victor Valimaki, Chemelli returned to action and defeated Simon Marini, who fought at 205 for the first time.  With the win, Chemelli passed Misha Cirkunov in the rankings.  Next fight: TBD

9. Zach Blaber (7-2) – Previous Rank (NR) – The Burden forces his way into the top 10 thanks to a six fight winning streak.  Blaber’s most recent victims were the always tough Elmer Waterhen and Andrew Buckland.  Word is that Blaber is not long for this list as he is heading down to Middleweight.  Before dropping to 185, how about a bout with Tim Chemelli? Pretty please?  Next fight: TBD

10. Misha Cirkunov (5-2) – Previous Rank (8) – Cirkunov submitted to an Aaron Johnson Heel Hook in Atlanta this past March.  The loss stopped the four fight win streak momentum that the much-hyped fighter was riding.  One is left wondering where the uber-talented Cirkunov’s career is headed.  Will he attain the greatness predicted by many or will he plateau as a mid-level 205er? Let’s hope the former! Next Fight: TBD.

Fighters who dropped out of Top 10 –  Martin Desilets (was 5th, inactive), Dwayne Lewis (was 6th, retired)

Just Out of the Top 10:
Todd Stoute (4-0)

Related Posts:
Canadian Light-Heavyweight Rankings – December 2011
Canadian Light-Heavyweight Rankings – July 2011
Top MMA News Canadian Light-Heavyweight Rankings – December 2010
Top MMA News Canadian Light-Heavyweight Rankings – May 2010

28 Responses to “ Canadian Light-Heavyweight Rankings – July 2012 ”

1. How it is says:

Blaber should be higher IMO

7-10 seems close to call.

Congrats to Zach Blaber for making the Top 10.

Zach are you still moving to MW or jumping between it and LHW

3. zach B says:

Moving to Mw, I am happy with nine. Thanks for the support.

4. LMJ says:

WAY TO GO JIMMO !!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Idolmaker says:

Beware of them stalker laws there psycho!!!

6. Ketill says:

This rankings are brutal.

7. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

Any question now on who’s number one motherfuckers!

3 years in a row bitches!

8. nightmare says:

why dont you suck his dick bobby-the gay karimi LOL give it up hes good but hes just a man BEATCH

9. nightmare says:

actually KSOS would knock him the fuck out so hes really not that good

10. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

11. Suckerpunch says:

Sometimes i dont get you bobby. If anyone should be mad or bitter it should be u. U managed all these guys bef0ore and they all screwed u over yet u still swing off their nutz. It amazes me. Hague. Valimaki. Jimmo. All of them are selfish and chasin a buck.

12. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

Suckerpunch, nothing bad happened with Jimmo whatsoever.

Jimmo and I split our business relationship mutually. He needed a REAL and full time manager. I didnt want to manage anymore. (I do help a few guys out, but it’s really just that… Help. I help them to help my friends and for fun, really I’d prefer not to do that either. Lol)

I have a full time job that is very demanding. I’m the COO and a minority partner at my place of work. Our company is 5 yrs old, has over 50 employees, where I spend countless hours, many times times very stressful. I have every penny plus more invested in my company.

Ryan is still a very good friend of mine, hell he lived at my place, then was my roommate prior and post us splitting professionally.

I was overjoyed to see Ryan get the 7sec KO. I had tears of joy in my eyes and was cheering so loud! Ryan getting that KO felt like me getting the KO!

Hope that explains some of the reasons and my feelings on this situation.

If Top MMA News fans and Don “Big Win” Wilson would like I can address this further and more details. If not good lol.

Still, Ryan’s the man, the rankings are the truth.

bobby is the man.

I was screaming for Jimmo too Bobby.people should feel happy when they see someone succeed in a moment. Life is full of challenges and disappointments, and seeing someone have a great moment should make us all feel good for them.

I know there are people that hate to see others do well, and I just cannot understand that. I just can’t grasp that.

Cheer for a guy. Feel good for him. Feel his happiness, and let it inspire you for a minute.

Don’t hate.

It don’t do anyone any good.

Hey man I’m a big time hater lol, just not when it comes to my buddy Jimmo :)

15. Jake - JHEG says:

Well said Bobby…very professional!

16. mike kent says:

Bobby is a very nice guy that care about mma and about the fighters he’s worked closely with . Only om the internet would you get shit on for showing overwhelming joy for someone your close with accomplishing somethng amazing.

Apperentky jimmo was fighting safe to rack up wins and secure a spot om the ufc becuase he wasn’t fighting safe last night he was coming for blood. Congrats to jimmo and his team . Bobby helped get jimmo where he’s at so congrats to bobby as well

17. Idolmaker says:

Whats professional the any question who’s number 1 now motherfuckers???? Haha

That was not meant to be professional. :)

19. LMJ says:

Is there any question that Jimmo is number one now ?????????????????????? not likely !!!!!!

20. Idolmaker says:

Cant you at least call him Ryan? I mean he’s your son isn’t he?

21. LMJ says:

He sure is DP— LOL

22. Dean Panas says:

I’m assuming you think it is me. It definitely isn’t and I ask Keith, or anybody else who can, to check our IP addresses. I have only ever used my name on here not an alias.
    It was nice to say hi to you in Calgary Linda. I’ll bite my tongue and take the high road about this accusation.

23. Idolmaker says:

I am as critical about dean as I am about anyone. I am NOT double penetration, oops I meant dean panas!!!

24. Dean Panas says:

For the record; I call my kids by their first name, it’s their mother that calls her kids by their last names.

25. Idolmaker says:

All the more reason for Lmj to take my advice, you’re kind of a douchebag!

26. LMJ says:

Sorry that I thought this was you, Dean !!!Nice to meet you finally !!!!!!!

27. Smokey says:

Wheres Ganshorn. Two losses to Chernelli and Penner, and has beaten a ranked fighter or two. Give the beast his props

28. Ganshorn has not beaten a ranked fighter.