AFC: Full Throttle – Courtenay – July 21

Date: June 21, 2012
Location: Comox Valley Sports Centre in Courtenay, BC
Tickets: Buy Tickets

Amateur MMA:
185lbs- Fraser Jordan (2-0) vs. Wade Apps (4-0)
145lbs- Oren Hanscomb (4-2) vs. Matt Shannon (0-2)
170lbs- Chris Anderson (4-1) vs. Jared McCann (0-1)
155lbs- Dillon Brown (2-1) vs. Christian Alaart (1-0)
170lbs- Chris Anderson (2-2) vs. Bryce Kilpatrick (2-0)
170lbs- Andrew Payne (0-1) vs. Herbert Moon (4-3)
140lbs- Philip Romanov (1-1) vs. Gagan Gill (1-0)
170lbs- Dustin Porter (0-1) vs. Zach Zacharia (1-0)
155lbs- Guy Gauthier (1-0) vs. David Moon (1-0)
145lbs- Colin Butts (1-0) vs. Manvir Birk (1-0)
175lbs- Damian McGeary (1-0) vs. Fraser Doditch (2-0)
155lbs- Dave Cunningham (0-0) vs. Andy Padda (0-1)

14 Responses to “ AFC: Full Throttle – Courtenay – July 21 ”

1. Darren Owen says:

Some of the records posted are way off.

2. Don't Call Me Leon says:

An all amateur card yeah? Hmmm… Few BC (mainly Islanders) prospects to watch!

3. Don't Call Me Leon says:

I was going to say the same but better to hear that from you D.O.!

4. Nathan Swayze says:

Courtenay is a hotbed of MMA small place and we boast half a dozen legit pros and one ammy in each of these fights, I may be biased since he’s my friend and I represent him but watch Fraser Jordan who has already signed a pro deal with AFC he is right now one of the top 3 middleweights in the province pro or ammy I have yet to work with anyone who I could say with certainty could beat him. I promise big things from him.

5. Jamie Locke says:

This should be a good time. Johnny Mac has always produced solid card in Courtenay for the ammy’s, teaming up with AFC should only make for better production.

D.O is right on the records being off, but it’s tough to keep proper records with ammy’s, I think that should start to change now that Sherdog is tracking the ammy fights.

AFC- Victoria BC, Calgary and Edmonton AB and now all ammy in Courtenay… What’s next guys, things are growing pretty steadily?

I gotta say I don’t like this, AFC is one of the bigger PRO promotions in Canada and it seems strange to me that they’d hold a full ammy event. I expected PRO events, not Pro and Ammy.

7. Jamie Locke says:

This show in Courtenay has been going on for I think 4 years now under the title “Full Throttle Fight Nights” run by Comox Boxing clubs Johnny Mac. This year the are teaming up with Darren and AFC to simply bring some more production t the show and it looks like to help establish the amateur ranks within the AFC.

I have said many times before that BC has some super talented amateur fighters that are A- getting their feet wet in front of the crowd while putting time in the cage and B- Fighters from unsanctioned pro areas are getting the chance to compete in front of their family and friends.

The AFC and BFL donig pro/am shows only increases the value of live mma product around Canada. The only downside to amateur mma is the lack of paychecks for the athletes, but many promotions like the ones I’ve mentioned here give ticket sales percetages back to the ammy’s, so they still have the ability to take home some compensation for training and performing.

I see no negatives. In fact, I’d much rather see a high end show like AFC put on amateur fights instead of small, unsanctioned, unmonitored shows.

I see, totally understand. So basically AFC is upping the value of the show. Sounds cool and fair.

My apologies, thanks for the clarification Jamie

9. MMAPolice says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 4 Thumb down 14

10. Darren Owen says:

@ Bobby, there is no pro sanctioning body where the event is taking place, aprox 2.5 hours north of Victoria. There are so many good amateur fighters here in BC and not enough events for them to get the experience they want and need before making the jump to pro. So we will be doing some amateur events “Contender Series” that won’t be numbered AFC events. The next pro event, date and location will be released this week.

11. Demitri (trev) says:

I think this is a great idea.

Mr pavelich is back as mma police. Hard to follow him with all those screen names he uses to tear other organizations down. What a bum

12. Nathan Swayze says:

Full results from AFC: “Full Throttle” below.

Fraser Jordan def. Wade Apps by Submission (Triangle Choke) at 1:23 of Round 1

Oren Hanscomb def. Matt Shannon by KO at 0:07 of Round 1

Chris Anderson def. Jared McCann by Submission (Guillotine Choke) at 1:17 of Round 1

Dillon Brown def. Christian Alaart by Unanimous Decision

Chris Anderson def. Bryce Kilpatrick by TKO (Ground and Pound) at 1:53 of Round 2

Andrew Payne def. Herbert Moon by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 1:21 of Round 2

Philip Romanov def. Gagan Gill by Unanimous Decision

David Moon def. Guy Gauthier by Submission (Triangle Choke) at 2:04 of Round 1

Manvir Birk def. Collin Butts by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 1:51 of Round 1

Damian McGeary def. Fraser Doditch by KO (Head Kick) at 1:59 of Round 1

Dave Cunningham def. Andy Padda by Unanimous Decision (30-27,30-27,29-28)

13. Nathan Swayze says:

Awesome fights and my guys went 6-0 so we are happy, Fraser Jordan is now actually 5-0 and will be making his pro debut ASAP. He is the best middleweight prospect in western canada, maybe all of canada but I don’t know enough about the eastern side to say it. He is signed to AFC for 3 fights and will soon be getting talked about alot!

14. canadx says:

I often reflex on Mexician boxers who enter the pros with a large number of fights. In MMA there is just not enuff events for growing a pro as of today.
    What MMA Canada needs is the capacity to grow an MMA competitor thru a relativly large number of events.
    Sparing in a gym helps- but the lonilyness of being locked in a cage with a live crowd. Without this reality gut check, one can not grow in sport. Happy to see these kind of events.