Roop Out; Carvalho to Face Pineda at UFC 149

Antonio Carvalho

More injuries for UFC 149 as today the UFC announced that George Roop has been forced out of the UFC Calgary event due to training injuries. Roop was to face Ontario’s Antonio Carvalho.

Now Antonio Carvalho (13-5) will face Daniel Pineda (17-8) in Calgary. A month ago, Pineda lost to former WEC champion Mike Brown to bring his record to 2-1 in the UFC. Carvalho will hope to get to .500 in the big show after losing to Felipe Arantes at UFC 142.

UFC 149 has taken many hits. Jose Aldo, Shogun Rua, Mike Bisping, Thiago Alves, and Yoshihiro Aikyama were all scheduled to be on the card at one time and were either pulled off to other cards or pulled out due to injury.

10 Responses to “ Roop Out; Carvalho to Face Pineda at UFC 149 ”

Best to Carvalho he looked great in his debut and fought with a lot of heart and drive.

He’s gonna have a big night.

3. mymmaopinion says:

Given the promise that this card originally held I think that it would be in the best interest of the fans, and the UFC, to scrap it and arrive in Calgary with the A-listers when they can, as it’s now getting down to the B and C list of UFC talent. At the very least the UFC should offer a refund to fans that want one just as they did for folks in Brazil after the card for 147 lost its two main event fights. This card gets more and more underwhelming by the day. ps. No disrespect to the Canadians on the card, but fans pay hundreds of dollars per ticket to see the best in the world fight, and that is no longer what we are getting.

Carvalho is one of Canada’s all time talents and battlers.

Will be a pleasure watching him smash Pineda!

5. Kyle Stoltz says:

I’m a huge fan of Carvlho’s I just did the deal for him to be sponsored by Hayabusa for his fight. But I will be the bad guy here, this is a much tougher fight for him then his original opponent. Pineda is a very tough guy at 145 pounds, to me one of the rising prospects at 145 pounds in the UFC. Not well known but very tough. I think Carvlho wins this fight but it’s a much much tougher fight then his original opponent in George Roop.

6. Donald Duck says:

Not often that the Duck agrees with Kyle but Pineda is a wicked tough fight for anyone. Antonio however presents serious problems for even the most seasoned fighters. Too often people take Carvalho lightly and I can’t see Daniel’s team doing this however you just can’t prepare for the off tempo style of Carvalho no matter how you try.

Antonio will win this via bloody and messy decision. Potential FOTN.

7. James Petryk says:

I still think Carvalho is the favourite here, but I also agree. Pineda is a harder fight and even comes with less name recognition than his more guaranteed win over Roop. The win will still happen, but not a no-brainer like before.

8. Kyle Stoltz says:

I have to sort of disagree. I think Carvalho is the underdog here when it comes to betting odds. I think Carvlho wins but let’s see the lines when they come out I would be shocked if Pineda is not the favorite walking in. Pineda crushed his first 2 UFC opponnets and lost a close decision to Mike Brown who knew he was retiring after the fight so we all know that usually means he probably killed himself to make sure he was at his absolute best to try and go out with a win. I’m not going to look it up but before entering the UFC I believe Pienda was on a solid role as well and was fighting for Legacy so was fighting some game guys.

I also don’t think Roop was a no-brainer. Roop got beat bad in his last fight vs. Cub Swanson (lol I know I got rediculous tickets from Roop cause he had 2 he wasn’t using) but Cub has looked great lately. But before that I actually think Roop beat Hioki in the fight that the judges gave to Hioki. I think Roop was a much more favorable matchup for Carvlho but not a no brainer still a very tough fight vs a game guy in Roop. When Roop is on he’s tough.

9. James Petryk says:

I think we essentially agree. By “favourite” I meant favourite in my own brain, not betting odds. Given that Carvalho has been out of the limelight for a while, and when he was in the limelight, it wasn’t in the UFC, he would have likely been an underdog in the betting odds against either fighter. I just thought Roop was a “no-brainer” (biased opinion, albeit) simply because of the style matchup being quite a bit more favourable for Antonio in that fight.

10. Adam Lorenz says:

Shoot, with people thinking Roop was a “no-brainer” I might have made more money off that bet then I was expecting too ;)

The Pineda fight is very interesting, could be exciting!