Hometown Hero Nick Ring Aids Two Attack Victims

Nick Ring (Photo by Jason Bouwmeester)

Calgary, Alberta, Canada – Calgary’s hometown UFC fighter Nick Ring can now add Good Samaritan to his check list. At approximately 9:15 p.m. Wednesday night, Ring, who had just finished a yoga class, was leaving a local Starbucks when he witnessed a group of about 10 juveniles aged 15-18 beating up and robbing a young couple, both 17, waiting at a bus stop.

Ring witnessed the one female assailant holding the female victim by the hair and kneeing her in the face while she was on the ground. The male victim was repeatedly beaten while trying to protect his girlfriend. “It was right out of a movie, they were holding him back and beating him up as well,” said Ring on Thursday. “It was a really horrible thing to see.”

Ring watched the group steal the girl’s backpack and run off, leaving the victims hysterical and bleeding with cuts on their faces.

Quick to act, Ring, a 33-year-old mixed martial artist who is preparing for UFC 149 in Calgary July 21, along with a “perfect stranger”, checked on the victims and then the pair chased the assaulters about 3-4 blocks.

“It was a random act, but from what I saw, it was very violent. I have no tolerance for that type of behaviour and I had to even out the playing field.”

Ring and the other witness ran after the assailants, eventually pinning down one of the young men and calling the police. The other young adults pleaded with them to let them go but eventually took off.

Ring then chased them as well, so the police knew where they were, and the authorities ended up catching them from there.

Ring was not able to speak to the victims after the fact as they were rushed to the hospital by ambulance.

“It was a brutal assault. Hands down it was a horrible thing to witness. There was no way it was justified.”

Ring said the suspects did not know who he was or his fighting background. But one of the suspects did challenge him to a one-on-one fight before being arrested. Three members of the group were arrested and charged with assault. Police continue to search for the remaining assailants.

When asked about fighting crime or fighting in the Octagon, Nick said, “The men the police have to face have no honour. I would way rather be an MMA fighter because the men I fight have honour. These guys were just straight up cowards.”

The UFC’s visit to Calgary on July 21 will make its first-ever visit to Alberta. Ring will face The Ultimate Fighter winner Court McGee in front of a sold out crowd at Scotiabank Saddledome.

11 Responses to “ Hometown Hero Nick Ring Aids Two Attack Victims ”

1. Graham says:

I don’t know Nick personally and I can’t say that I’ve ever even met the guy, but I will say this:

Great job!

It’s good to see that there are still people who will do the right thing for others in need.

2. Adam Lorenz says:

Good job Nick!

3. Mark Sinclair says:

Well done!

What a dreamboat <3.

5. Amy says:

What a great story! We need more Nick Rings on the planet.

6. Gunner says:

Nick Ring once bound and tied my hands before a fight in Calgary and even accompanied me from behind when i went to a caged enclosure, he can take me down and mount me anytime until the police arrive just so we can borrow there handcuffs.

Great Job Buddy hope training is going great and your healthy as hell for upcoming fight.

7. Joe Doerksen says:

Good job, Nick.

Nice to hear there’s still people in the world that care enough to do something when the time comes.

Thanks for bein a good human Nick.

I think a lot of people are tired of reading stories about people eating faces and stuff.

We needed that.

9. Marj says:

Good Morning Nick:

Thank you so very much for being a real hero. Grateful that you were in the right place at the right time.

The couple they could have been seriously injured if you hadn’t been there to save them.

Keep up the good work, & am so proud of your courage, & glad that you got them.

Good luck in court, & really appreciate everything that you, & the stranger did as a team.

10. Bigtoe says:

Great job Nick!

I live Willow Park which is very close to where this took place. If you know Calgary, this isn’t really a rough and tuff neighborhood! However, last week some of my property was stolen from my garage and there have been an unusual amount of car break-ins, vandalism and random attacks… The police figure the is a large group of wantabe gangsters from one of the nearby high schools… Basically a large group of privledged pussies! I have a funny feeling this is the same group of punks that attacked this couple…

Hopefully Nick put a bit of scare on these pin heads but more than likely not. You can’t cure stupid! I for one have a 9 iron (among other things) on standby!!!

Cheers Nick!

11. Jake - JHEG says:

I first met Nick back when he was taking his first BJJ class probably over ten years ago. We’ve been buddies since. All I can say is that people change a lot over the years, attitudes, outlooks, etc, myself included. Nick? He’s been consistent since I’ve met him.

He’s always been a stand up guy and one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Honor to know him and see he’s not afraid to stand up when other people are down. The stranger that was with him deserves the same accolades…great job guys.