Canadian Rumour Mill – June 5
Amateur MMA in Ontario sure got off to a poor start last weekend. Seems like it’s not the way you’d want to debut Amateur MMA. Check out Showdown Joe’s thoughts on the event HERE.
- Rick Hawn almost missed out on fighting (and winning) the Bellator LW tournament final. He got injured while training at Tristar for his Bellator tournament final fight and didn’t heal up until a week or two out from the fight. Tough guy!
- John Makdessi is taking a few months off to reboot his training and strengthen his overall game. Expect to see him again in the fall.
- It seems like Vernon has decided to stop holding MMA events until the provincial board is set up.
- BFL’s next show will be July 28th in beautiful Penticton, BC.
- Rory MacDonald has called out BJ Penn for a fight at UFC 152 in Toronto. What do you think? (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=434475959907386&set=a.173405526014432.34241.166692790019039&type=1&theater)
- SFS in Winnipeg in September. Winnipeg needs some MMA!
- Own3d, an MMA themed movie will begin shooting in Ontario in July, starring a former UFC champ, a former title contender, and a current number one contender. Look for the MMA stars to be wandering around in Cobourg and Port Hope, ON.
- Canadian MMA “It Girl” Erin McDougall picked up her 2nd amateur win on Saturday with a quick TKO victory over Stacey Vega at Jackson’s MMA Series 8 in Albuquerque, New Mexico. That brings McDoogs’ record to 2-1, if I am counting right.
- Roger Hollett was announced to face Attila Vegh on the Bellator Summer Series Light-Heavyweight tournament (see HERE). Now, it appears that Zelg Galesic will face Vegh and Hollett is not in the tourney at all.
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.