Canadian Rumour Mill – June 5

Amateur MMA in Ontario sure got off to a poor start last weekend. Seems like it’s not the way you’d want to debut Amateur MMA. Check out Showdown Joe’s thoughts on the event HERE.

• Rick Hawn almost missed out on fighting (and winning) the Bellator LW tournament final. He got injured while training at Tristar for his Bellator tournament final fight and didn’t heal up until a week or two out from the fight. Tough guy!
  • John Makdessi is taking a few months off to reboot his training and strengthen his overall game. Expect to see him again in the fall.
  • It seems like Vernon has decided to stop holding MMA events until the provincial board is set up.
  • BFL’s next show will be July 28th in beautiful Penticton, BC.
  • SFS in Winnipeg in September. Winnipeg needs some MMA!
  • Own3d, an MMA themed movie will begin shooting in Ontario in July, starring a former UFC champ, a former title contender, and a current number one contender. Look for the MMA stars to be wandering around in Cobourg and Port Hope, ON.
  • Canadian MMA “It Girl” Erin McDougall picked up her 2nd amateur win on Saturday with a quick TKO victory over Stacey Vega at Jackson’s MMA Series 8 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  That brings McDoogs’ record to 2-1, if I am counting right.
  • Roger Hollett was announced to face Attila Vegh on the Bellator Summer Series Light-Heavyweight tournament (see HERE).  Now, it appears that Zelg Galesic will face Vegh and Hollett is not in the tourney at all.

__________________
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: gossipqueen@topmmanews.com.

72 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – June 5 ”

1. LK says:

What?! Showdown Joe, who is spiteful and bitter towards the AMMA organization, is saying negative things about it? Well then it must be true and unbiased! After all he spent 10 years trying to be the AMMA guy.

Let me just say what we’re all thinking: Showdown Joe is just a sour pussed hater.

The whole first half of his post is him crying about getting rejected. Then he makes claims that are unsubstantiated.

I was at the event and just about every coach, athlete, spectator, and reporter there considered it a safe and entertaining event.

Subs may have got called early and there are standing 8 counts, but with any new amateur contact sport, it is always wise to error on the side of caution…duh

As for the athletes in AMMA, I think it is a great gateway for them to safely transition into pro MMA. Simply because the following facts:
    -They are striking with thicker 8oz gloves
    -They have take downs
    -Submissions
    -They have integrated a point system so it is aimed at being more technical focused than damage focused.
    -There are some limits for safety reasons that they will need to deal with in pros (ie elbows)

The refs were overall very good.
    They have veteran BJJ refs, as well as a veteran Striking refs, as well as a head ref on the outside, as well as 3 judges. There was like 6 or more cask officials around each match, not including medical staff. The event was executed smoothly. Joe seems to be the only one that thinks otherwise.

The bottom line is there were no serious injuries out of 3 full days of fighting, and the AMMA was really exciting and successful.

Showdown Joe quite your crying. If you are really for the sport then you should be happy that someone is making it happen, even though you weren’t able to.

2. Ross O'Donnell says:

I have been a CASK coach and club owner for 7 years and I am a friend of Showdown Joe who has been a tremendous supporter of my club and MMA in Canada.

Although it may seem from these blogs that CASK and Joe Ferraro are completely at odds, I truly believe both Joe Ferraro and CASK have the best interest of the AMMA sport at heart. I know from my chats with Joe and the passion he exudes when discussing AMMA and my experience with CASK that both are very committed to ensuring the best AMMA rules and regulations be implemented to increase awareness and acceptance of the sport.

I was the coach for 5 of the athletes who competed in the Light Contact AMMA event on Sunday June 3rd at the Metro Convention Center. Since the future of the sport is with our youth and the parents certainly play a major role in determining selection and participation by their children in any sport I felt it was crucial to inquire with the parents who were in attendance watching their children participate in the competition for their thoughts.

My particular attention was on the young athlete who submitted his opponent in one round yet lost the match on points, this is the same young athlete involved in the takedown that ended up on the concrete floor adjacent to the competition area tatami mat. The father of the athlete provided the following comments on the two key points:

On the submission rules; ” I don’t agree with the rule (submission ends the round but not the bout) but that was in the rules when we got them so we knew it going in (to the competition).”

On the takedown that ended up on the concrete; “The overall safety aspect of the event was really of no concern but I would like to see an extra 4-6 feet of perimeter padding (to prevent athletes landing on the concrete) for future competitions.”
    None of the other parents expressed concern about safety for their child competing nor were there any that indicated they would prevent them from continuing in future AMMA tournaments.

This is not about picking a side, but rather all parties working together to do what is best for the sport of AMMA to progress and grow in Ontario.

Respectfully,

Ross O’Donnell

3. Ross O'Donnell says:

Respectfully,
    Ross O’Donnell

4. Donald Duck says:

@ LK – Subs may have got called early
    Subs getting called early is what you get when you have unqualified refs.

and there are standing 8 counts but with any new amateur contact sport, it is always wise to error on the side of caution…duh
    A standing 8 in MMA is retarded, plain and simple. If CASK really did put safety first then there would be no standing 8.

Donnie

5. Tyler Mc says:

@ Robin
    I appreciate your point on having more independent oversight of these events ideally the province will setup a governing body

@ Donald duck
    there were 5 local fighters on the card 4 of which had there 3rd amateur fight that night the 5th was one of those trained for 3 months kinda guys the majority of the other fighters came from United MMA in Kenora Ont or from Winnipeg. I can imagine hard knocks cards where pro-mma is sanctioned would likely pull from a shallower talent pool.

From an education point of view for me at what stage of training do you think an athlete should consider taking a bout?

6. Big Boi says:

Having submissions not end the fight is completely stupid.

This gives both athletes the completely wrong learning experience.

Real events end when there is a submission, if you are ever going to fight in a real BJJ tournament or MMA fight – and there is a submission – the fight is over.

Fighters who do these CASK events regularly are going to develop some really bad habits.

7. GM says:

@Donald Duck. I saw this posted on Sportsnet.ca regarding the Standing 8. That’s pretty much how they explained it to me when I did the training session

Hello Everyone

I am one of the CASK officials and am here to address your concerns. Firstly, we appreciate everyone’s feedback and concern as our main objective with AMMA is to constantly improve this sport so it will eventually appear closer to what you all envision it to be. So you know my credentials I am a Professional MMA coach, have cornered nearly 100 MMA matches from pro to ammy and my athletes compete actively in Ohio, PA, Missouri, Ontario and Quebec and have also cornered well over 1000 BJJ matches and am a competitive BJJ Purple. Before you all rush to conclusions you need to understand the Mandate that CASK was given by the government and understand how long it took the Ontario government to approve Amateur MMA.

Personally, I prefer Ohio amateur rules and am not a fan of the standing 8 count; however, the Ontario government is not interested in a watered down pro version of MMA with shorter rounds no elbows and only hand strikes to the head. What it wanted to see is a regulated safe sport that is under a recogonized National Sporting organization with legitimate insurance. Both stakeholders (gov’t and insurance) are not interested in Ohio stats, PA stats, whereever stats. What they are interested in is safety. The standing-8 count is a necessity as the insuring body insures based on risk and if there are standing 8 counts in K-1 then why not in MMA (remember this is their opinion)? Therefore, for us to make the necessary changes we must prove to them, through experience, that in MMA the standing 8 is not necessary, but this takes more than 1 event. Similar to all the other rules.

The rules as they stand are not forever, they are until we have a large enough body of work to earn the the trust of both the government and insurance. As I said they do not care about states elsewhere as that is not the AMMA the gov’t wants to see. This sport was just legalized and if say someone was choked unconscious, or a limb broken etc… in its first event the government and other interested parties would be very quick to pull the plug. In order to continue we must continue to be vigilant with safety as an unfortunate injury may result AMMA not being legalized again for another 20 years.

What Joe saw was the Tatami MMA which is meant for Kids and very inexperienced adults to get their feet wet in MMA. It is similar to Sport JJ with IBJJF ground scoring and Low-Kick discipline clicker system scoring. It is formatted in a 2 out of 3 rounds system simply to help the athletes gain more experience. If a grappler taps a striker 10 seconds into the first round in a DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM it doesn’t give either athlete much experience if it is their only match: now it is a light contact discipline so the striker isn’t permitted to throw the “knockout” punch … but the grappler can sub … not fair, and remember I am a grappler saying this. Btw the Adult AMMA in the ring is not 2 out of 3 rounds.

Regarding the extra points for the jumping head kick (3 points). BTW this doesn’t mean if someone who scores a jumping kick to the body (2 points) gets an automatic 10-8 round. It’s simply two clicks … guess what, if you score a takedown you get two clickes … jumping head kick three clicks … guard pass 3 clicks etc. as it is an amateur clicker system scoring.

Regarding Joe addressing the athletes who stumbled out of bounds it was exaggerated as neither athlete was harmed and I have seen several BJJ matches with athletes going out out bounds (myself included) it happens without a fence or ropes and like BJJ we do our best to prevent it. The headgear issue was addressed on the spot. As far as his critique of the K-1 knockout, it was handled by proper CASK/WAKO procedure and I guess Joe figures he has a license for hyperbole.

Joe did attend the first meeting once CASK was given the project and was contacted several times by CASK to help participate but was unavailable. Perhaps because after the first meeting it was clear the rules would be very different given the government Mandate … … …

Be patient as we appreciate any and all feedback we receive and we will continue to evolve this sport. It is a process and we need to follow what the government expects and work within the framework we are given. CASK is an excellent, open organization that has a proven track record of athlete development and athlete safety as well as a reputation for adjusting rules over time when possible. If I wasn’t immersed so deeply in the program I would be exactly where you are today, concerned and worried. We have AMMA in Ontario finally and it is not an easy process. As long as we continue to show our safety and have a track record of injury free events our rules will resemble those of other areas including a graduated system of Beginner, intermediate and advanced that Joe was speaking of. But it will take time and results.

I hope this helps

Chris Bonfoco
    CSC Chief Official AMMA Committee
    Modern Vision MMA
    Team Ascension

8. Sounds like lots of positives surrounding this show.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this discussion. Very informative.

9. Donald Duck says:

Chris is a purple under Omar Salvosa so a very legit background in BJJ. I’ll respect his opinion but it doesn’t mean I won’t find problems with CASK’s stance.

3 Points for jumping kick to the head? Again this stinks of tournamentization (I just made this work up by the way) of MMA.

If this is just Sport BJJ (or Pankration from back in the day) then call it that. There is no need to call this something it isn’t in an attempt to gain public acceptance. Figure skating and Hockey have a number of shared aspects but you don’t see people calling Figure Skating “Hockey but with music”.

Finally, if the main motivator here was to get MMA more publically acceptable then I think they should have waited until they had a rule set that more closely matches MMA developed and approved. As things stand right now this looks like a cash grab to get the soccer mom and dads out supporting little Johnny doing that Ultimate Fight thing he likes so much.

Donnie

10. Shane BTP Mountney says:

Totally agree with the Duck!

11. Showdown Joe says:

Ms. Domenichetti,

I sincerely thank you for your post and I agree wholeheartedly with the vast majority of what you wrote. It should be noted that I have many friends within C.A.S.K. so I do and will continue to do my best with what I report, as my goal is simply in the best interests of AMMA.

If I may though, you stated “Other organizations did not meet these requirements and therefore failed.”

This is not true. I would rather not discuss what truly happened to us, but not only did my group meet the requirements, those which were not yet finalized, were all “works in progress” and were being handled accordingly.

You also stated “If you do not agree with the direction that AMMA is moving in Ontario I would urge you to get involved!”

I’m sincerely curious how one goes about doing so, and if your board TRULY believes that.

“Become educated in the current rules and regulations. Learn what it takes to run a PSO, and get government approval and insurance.”

A tad elitist but I’m sure that’s not what you were inferring. I’m willing to wager that type of arrogant positioning is NOT coming from you.

Again – thank you for your post and I would be more than happy to thank you in person. You seem genuine in your concern(s).

Mr. Bonfoco,

Thank you as well for your input. Your experience is incredible…congrats, as it must be respected, and I definitely do.

In regards to your “standing 8 count” commentary, thank you. I sincerely hope after a few events, it will be removed. I now understand the reasoning as to why it was inserted into the rules and regs. I disagree, but the methodology makes sense. Again – thanks.

As for the development system, and a submission ending a round, and moving to the next round, etc – I now understand the reasoning. This was not explained to me from anyone from C.A.S.K. namely to the history of the organization not returning my emails and calls.

You stated “Regarding Joe addressing the athletes who stumbled out of bounds it was exaggerated as neither athlete was harmed…we do our best to prevent it.”

I respectfully disagree. It was not “exaggerated” as I simply wrote what I saw, as it was a serious concern to me, and to the various folks in attendance who were “oohhing and ahhing” and cringing. The CASK rules call for a safety zone: the picture I have of the competition area does not show this. I will not waver on the fact that more padding/space be made available around the competition area. It’s in the CASK rules, so it should be implemented.

“As far as his critique of the K-1 knockout, it was handled by proper CASK/WAKO procedure and I guess Joe figures he has a license for hyperbole.”

When I retrieve the video, I will post it. Then, You, I, and others can discuss if CASK/WAKO should update their procedure, and whether or not I have “a license for hyperbole”. Not sure why that type of pot shot was sent my way, but I do understand now. A little research I conducted with a few of our mutual friends explained it.

You also stated, “Joe did attend the first meeting once CASK was given the project and was contacted several times by CASK to help participate but was unavailable. Perhaps because after the first meeting it was clear the rules would be very different given the government Mandate.”

#1. I attended the first TWO meetings and was never told that “CASK was given the project”. I was asked if we would entertain having a few members of CASK join our team, as their experience getting kickboxing recognized would help us get amateur MMA recognized. We naturally said “YES”. What happened after that, you obviously do not know, or you would not have then stated the erroneous fallacies thereafter. To say “was contacted several times by CASK to help participate but was unavailable” !!! That is a lie, and is now on public record. I would suggest you retract that, while going ALL THE WAY UP YOUR HIERARCHY to get the truth, or at the very least, question if what they tell you is the truth.

As for “Perhaps because after the first meeting it was clear the rules would be very different given the government Mandate.” – this is obviously your opinion, because it is 100% INCORRECT, and I ask that you retract that statement as well. It is not the truth, and either a flat out lie, or you were given misinformation.

Sir…I do not recall you being there, and if you were, you were NOT THERE when I discussed “what was going on here”, after the meeting, and the words spoken to me about “what” the ONLY ROLE of mine would be. One that I would never agree to…and I’m sure no self serving, honest individual would even dare considering. Do you know what that was/is?

With all this being said, you may want to follow the professionalism displayed by Ms. Domenichetti and Mr. Ross O’Donnell. There is no need to get personal. We are grown adults here, so please consider acting like one. Pot shots, and fallacies based on opinion and misinformation do more harm than good. When you want to discuss AMMA, I am all ears. If you want to take shots at me, let me know when you are done.

12. Jeff harrison says:

If my student ever gets hit with a jump
    Kick to the head and goes down 3 points I need to quit coaching mma.
    Here us go

13. Jeff harrison says:

If my student ever gets hit with a jump
    Kick to the head and goes down 3 points I need to quit coaching mma.
    Here is food for thought: form follows function.
    CASK began governing Muay Thai, or K1 as they call it. They had rules about eight counts that were for insurance and safety reasons. Basically the mOment a fighters head would snap back he would be given an eight count due to the medical facts of concussion. Everyone hated it and everyone bitched! Myself included.. This was a fight!! Let
    Them fight!! But guess what… 5 years later coaches and fighters have adapted to the rule. You rarely see an eight count due to a single blow. Everyone’s chin is tucked securely in, and the safety protocol has essentially bettered the general form of the Ontario kickboxer and Thai boxer affiliated with CASK.
    The same will happen with the mma. At the start people will complain and argue submission stoppages..understandably since there is no tap. But as time goes on and the form of the AMMA athletes follows the function of the rules set out for them, you will see tighter ground games. A bunch of kids with elbows in, chins tucked, and positions tight due to fear of getting caught in a round ending submission. This will
    Absolutely without a doubt transfer into success on the professional stage later in these athletes careers. My two cents:)

14. Donald Duck says:

Counter Point:

1. While you ascribe the reduction in standing 8 counts to ‘tucked chins’ I would say (from the handful of CASK matches I’ve seen) that there has been a reduction in overall power thrown in matches. This leads to fighters not learning at an amateur level how to roll with a punch (when the risk of that punch is greatly reduced due to people learning the mechanics of how to punch) and leads to a higher potential for KO at a pro level. After all Amateur sport is an opportunity for someone to ‘try the sport out’ and to also prepare athletes for a professional bought. I mean if CASK was the greatest regulating body going what is Jean-Yves Thériault’s opinon of CASK? Does he use CASK to regulate his events or does he duck across the border to Aylmer?

2. Apparently Professor Cooligan doesn’t teach you guys to bait. I mean if he did you would see the silliness in the statement around submissions. There are any number of guard passes (for example) where you might allow your opponent to have a chance at an arm bar or kimura or choke in order for you to take advantage of a change in their guard posture and start the pass. Are you telling me you’re okay with someone putting on a sloppy zero leverage kimura and while they’re having their guard passed the ref stops the fight?

Again, you argue that you can have these rules and then slowly move towards something more comparable to MMA. I’m saying you’ve basically created Figure Skating, called it Amateur Hockey and are hoping at a later time to introduce the aspects of hockey once people are comfortable with this.

We already have this. It’s called Sport Jiu Jitsu, sure it’s not nearly as marketable as ULTIMATE FIGHTING FOR SOCCER MOMS but it does the same think that CASK is trying to tell us that they’re doing.

15. Donald Duck says:

Oh, forgot to answer, @ Tyler Mc – You made a statement that I proved to be false. Until you answer my question I’m not going to waste any more time on you or HK’s Unsanctioned Sask shows.

Donnie

16. Jeff Harrison says:

From what I saw the refs stopped it only when the arm was fully extended or the choke was deep. The referees seemed aware and stopped the fights at reasonable times. Assuming as soon as ” a sloppy kimura” is applied the match will end doesn’t give enough credit to the experience of the referees, which all seemed to be trained in Jiu Jitsu.
    This said, Pat, really has nothing to do with any of this conversation, and bringing his name up in that manner isn’t necessary as he was the first Renzo Gracie Blackbelt in our Country and has forgotten more Jiu Jitsu than you know. If you want to bait people with your arms dangling and use it to pass their guard go ahead. Please post video of top tier championship level guys in the UFC using these passes in recent history.. I would really love to see it.

I never said CASK was perfect, in fact some of their rules drive me crazy, but I do agree with their mandate, safety protocol, and the general outline for their Kickboxing, K1, and AMMA program. We have had alot of fighters go on to international Thai competition after their initial bouts in CASK and do very well, even winning some world titles abroad..CASK is legal experience in my home province for my guys. They provide a safe venue and tonnes of experience for our young fighters, so I will get their back when people talk shit about them. I will take my kids to CASK, and take fighters to larger amatuer or pro shows when they are ready.

17. MMAOntario says:

I would like to start with that I have been a fan of Showdown Joe for a long time and respect his knowledge of MMA and the arts in general. His passion for martial arts is commendable and I every week look forward to his show and read his blog. But after reading this past weekends report on the event I can not help but ask a simple question. “Having such a passion for martial arts did you care to ask if you could participate in development of the AMMA program?” I ask this question why, a person with your passion and dedication to the sport would have been a valuable asset to the team developing this amateur program that you are so critical about. You stated that since 1998 you have waited for the day to arrive when amateur MMA would finally take place in your home province and that you personally embarked on a 14 year journey. This very group that you are chastising I understand reached out to you and invited you to participate in the development of this program and no response was given. No answers to emails or phone calls.

I personally can not believe that I am about to make this analogy but it’s the only way to describe what I am feeling. As a Canadian parent, week in and week out for a number of years have taken my son to his hockey games and practices, for many years as a coach and as a parent. I have watched and listened to opinionated parents who criticize coaches. People should not loose focus but these individuals are volunteers. My son was blessed to have great coaches throughout my son’s minor hockey life but to some parents these volunteers could not tie their laces correctly commenting on every practice drill and game play. As a parent and not as coach I could not help but turn to this one parent and ask whether they have a coaching card and not to my surprise they said “No”. I told the individual something that was taught to me “If you can do something about it and help then do it. Don’t sit on the sidelines and critic but rather get involved and make a difference. Get behind the bench!!” So I asked the question again “Why not participate in the build of the amateur MMA program you have so long waited to see.”

I attended the show on the Sunday and noticed you in the audience talking with others and did not want to interrupt your discussion. You had many opportunities on Sunday while attending to ask the CASK coordinators and developers any question but from the tone of your report it suggests no questions were asked. Being a media figure is a very powerful thing as it provides you a means for your messages to be heard. Some will listen or read your words and formulate their own opinions while others will take what you are saying as gospel. Taking what you have stated as a platform to promote themselves or their mma organization as one individual has done by commenting on your facebook page. For all those individuals who state they have been waiting so long for amateur mma in the province of Ontario I congratulate you though for introducing to the sport of amateur mma to “polictics”. Reports such as this have only stalled or caused the sport to take a step back, only re-enforcing the negativity that kept MMA from entering our province to begin with.

To those volunteers who built the AMMA program and for its first competition I congratulate you. From this first competition you will determine what worked and what didn’t and change or build on what has been started. This was your first show and it met my expectations. Your program will continue to evolve allowing amateur athletes to excel in a sport that they love. As a parent I thank each and every volunteer I appreciate your time and support in these developments. To the athletes congratulations on participating in the competition and hope many of you will continue to grow in this sport.

18. MMAOntario says:

Just realized that Showdown has answered questions in an included in my write up. Thanks for explaining.

A lot of good can come of this if we all help and build this program Ontario will see the growth of Amateur MMA.

19. topmmmafightfan says:

letourneau vs demarce! or cardinal! either way 55ers be watch out! War diesel!!!!!

20. Donald Duck says:

@ Harrison – This will be my last comment on this cause clearly you and I are not communicating effectively. First off I said nothing derogatory about Professor Colligan however you’ve opted to throw up a straw man and shift discussion away from the key points. Are you that worried about your position that you need to create controversy out of nothing?

You’ve already accused me of being a beer swilling knuckle dragging thug so I’m not sure why you’re even talking to me if you know me so well. My point is, and has always been, that CASK is degrading the sport of MMA to a point where it can be easily packaged up for the Volvo driving soccer families. They’re implementing a rule set that has little to do with MMA and instead and imposing old school TMA tournament rules. This reeks of a cash grab and frankly I’m not sure why people are tripping over themselves to endorse them.

At the core of it MMA is Self Defense. That has been the position since the early days of Vale Tudo. We currently (at a professional level) have an almost universally accepted set of rules in place that level the playing field but keep it MMA. The CASK rules do nothing for this and the argument that a younger fighter needs a reduced rule set to be ‘safe’ is laughable.

Feel free to try and imply that I’ve insulted someone or come across thuggish in this reply. I choose not to post with my name because I’ve always felt the information I post should be able to stand on its own. I choose not to share my background (although more than enough people have figured out who I am) because I want to see MMA grow and it needs to have support to do so. Who I am is inconsequential.

Donnie