Hard Knocks 24 Amateur MMA Results

Here are the results from the Hard Knocks 24 amateur show in Estevan, Saskatchewan as provided by Hard Knocks.

Exhibition MMA
Christian Crowthers vs Roark Franke – No official result

Amateur MMA
Tyson Haines defeats Cody Puls by Unanimous Decision
Felix Jimenez submits Steve Arens by Guillotine in Round 2, 0:29
Madison Mejia submits Curtis Richard by Arm Bar in Round 1, 2:18
Derek Lapierre submits Adam Zarrillo by Arm Triangle in Round 2, 2:31
Rodney Dela Rosa submits Mike Papequash by Rear Naked Choke in Round 2, 1:44
Craig Gaudry defeats Mike Geib by Unanimous Decision
Bob Macumber vs. Harold Brun No Contest (Illegal knee to the head from Brun) in Round 2, 0:19
Wade Baldwin submits Damon Steadman by Verbal Tap in Round 1, 2:16
Ryan Starkell submits Travis Triskle by Rear Naked Choke in Round 3, 2:59
Ron Gonzales submits Chris Wilson by Arm Bar in Round 1, 1:31
Devon Smith submits Derek Daku by Guillotine in Round 2, 1:44

20 Responses to “ Hard Knocks 24 Amateur MMA Results ”

1. MMA Fan says:

Since knees to the head are illegal on this amateur card…. how is Bob Macumber vs Harold Brun ruled a “no-contest”?!

Unintentional, sure – but watch your strikes. The penalty should have been a disqualification loss, not a no-contest!

When in doubt, foul out – and you don’t get penalized. That’s a BS decision.

2. Bubba says:

These guys are jokes.
    A lot of these ‘fighters’ don’t even train and these people make money off them.
    And they have a promoters kid fake fight at 12 years old.
    People should stay away from these shysters

3. Certified Referee says:

@mmafan if the referee deems a foul to be unintentional and it ends the fight before the beginning of third round the fight is a no contest. Those are the rules.

4. Donald Duck says:

@ Certified Ref – The ref could also DQ the fighter for a foul in ring which would result in a DQ loss for one and a win for the other.

You know, cause there are always many ways to look at something.

5. Certified Referee says:

you cannot DQ a fighter for an accidental foul. As i said, if it is deemed an accidental foul, the no contest is the only option.

6. Donald Duck says:

I didn’t realize you were in the ring that night….

6. Disqualification: When an injury sustained during competition as a result of an intentional foul is severe enough to terminate the contest;

The ref ultimately owns the ring from bell to bell.

Are you sure you’re a ref?

7. Bdc says:

@ donnie lol ya a ref for an illegal event with kid fights on it. Im sure they’ve got the cream of the crop lol

8. Marc-Andre Drolet says:

9. MMA Fan says:

So, Certified Ref – were you there? Because I was.

The knee may have been “unintentional” – you know, caught in the heat of the moment – but the trajectory of the knee was right in the temple of the other fighter, even had him doing the “chicken dance” as he got up after the hit. How do you determine the intention? Because If I’m going to throw a knee, I intend on it hitting the target! Very different throwing a knee to the head, rather than an unintentional low blow, which is seen much more often…..

Like I said – when in doubt, foul out – and you won’t get penalized.

10. Donald Duck says:

I seriously doubt if ‘certified ref’ will ever post on the internets again.

11. Certified Referee says:

No I wasn’t there.

It may be that the ref made the wrong call of deeming the knee unintentional. The referee has the tough job of deciding whether he thought it was intentional or not.However, like I said, and your quote said the foul must be intentional for a DQ.

I can’t speak to whether the call in this case was correct. My comment was in response to the first comment that said the foul was unintentional, but should have been a DQ. Unfortunately that isn’t how the rules work.

12. Donald Duck says:

That was kind of my point. Neither of us was there and yet you assumed the action was unintentional from the PBP where you probably should have offered both potential outcomes (three if the ref opts to look the other way and not take action in the ring).

My point was that the entire thing pivots on the intent of the action where you had stated the ref only had one course of action. If it was unintentional then it is ruled a NC inside the ring and if intentional then it is a DQ.

13. Certified Referee says:

My original comment did not assume anything. I was just clarifying the rule for mmafan. The first comment seemed to say the foul was unintentional and I just wanted to clarify that if the ref believes it is unintentional then the injury leads to a no contest.

Determining the intention of a foul is a hard, even for grounded knees depending on the flow of the action. Could have been a bad call as to the intention, but I wasn’t trying to debate the decision so much as clarify the rule.

Seems like we actually agree on what the rule is. You just thought I was talking about the particular call.

14. Donald Duck says:

Seems you may be right.

Often times (and this is personal bias) I have seen refs shy away from the DQ because it means they have to take ownership of the decision. Often times it is the refs who have either come from pro-wrestling or boxing backgrounds who don’t realize what they’re watching.

15. Certified Referee says:

Duckman, I agree that the sport is full of bad and unqualified refs that are imported from other sports. The same is true for judging. That being said refing is a tough job and someone always thinks the call is wrong.

For an example, look at MFC a few months back. In that case a very experienced ref decided a knee to a grounded opponent was intentional and DQ’d a fighter. That fighter’s fans and camp went nuts and even complained formally to the commission.

I guess all I can say is that there will always be bad calls. In this case, at least the referee saw it was a foul and stopped the fight to make sure the fighter didn’t take any more punishment. It would have been worse if nothing was done and the offending fighter had gotten the win. So at worst the call was half right.

You seem to know the rules better than most. You should take John or Herb’s course and start refing.

16. Donald Duck says:

I might pass on Herb’s course. I disagree with his section on “How to be looking at the wrong thing during a pivitol moment in the fight.” I have taken BJM’s intro course a few years back.

I’m holding out for Josh Rosenthal to teach a course. He’s, in this Duck’s opinion, one of the best and most consistant refs in the game with Mario coming a close second.

17. Donald Duck says:

Thanks for the kind words, by the way. I do like how this website seems to encourage debate.

18. Guns Loaded says:

Donald duck your a waste of skin please leave your comments to your self it sometimes is funny how stupid you sound however you just purely are a waste on society :0

Suck it

19. Donald Duck says:

Dear Guns Loaded:

The word “Your” implies possession. For example, “Did you move your car?”

The words “You Are” are more often seen in the contraction “You’re”. For example, “You’re going to have to move the car.”

I realize that these two can be confused due to the fact that they sound the same when spoken. Unfortunately for you it weakens the overall impact of calling someone else ‘stupid’ when you make a mistake like this in the process.

If you’d like you could email me your comments in advance and I could proof read them.

PS – You may have noticed that I used the contraction you’d. This is short for you would and given your clear struggles with the English language I didn’t (a contraction for did not) want to further confuse you.

20. ...a troll...maybe... says:

Hey guns ur a tard thats all.