Canadian Rumour Mill – May 22
Hope everyone had a nice long weekend. I sure did. Got to go camping and do a little suntanning in La Belle Province. On to the rumours!
- More trouble on the Edmonton Commission… a senior group of Edmonton officials, including former ECSC Chair Usman Ali and former ECSC Executive Director Ron Hayter, have signed a letter to the Mayor of Edmonton, alleging improprieties by current ECSC Executive Director Pat Reid. The Senior Officials Group ask that Reid be immediately removed from his Executive Director position. Included among their complaints are that :
- Pat Reid collected licensing and administration fees from officials, athletes, trainers, and promoters that was outside of the ECSC’s boundaries.
- Pat Reid has made event decisions, including the use of inexperienced boxing officials, due to pressures from a local boxing individual who may have threatened Reid with physical harm in the past.
- Pat Reid has partaken in punitive and retaliatory actions against individuals who have spoken out with concerns about Reid’s actions.
- Pat Reid has made decisions that compromise the heath and well-being of combative sports athletes. Examples include allowing Sokoudjou to take his gloves home prior to his MFC 31 fight, a 35 lb weight differential between Payne and Glover at Heat XC 6, and not halting Aggression 7 when there was a physical problem with the cage.
- Ringside is trying to put on a show before the summer. They are currently working their way through the Regie’s new approval process.
- Invicta 2 in July will have a Canadian presence. A female Flyweight battle between 2 amateur fighters making their pro debuts will feature BC fighter Cheryl Chan (6-2 amateur) vs Jocelyn “Lights Out” Lybarger (4-2 amateur)
- Mike Ricci will fight for the Ringside Lightweight title at their next event.
- Matt Bagshaw is out of his fight with Adam Lorenz at AFC 10, any Featherweight want to step up and face Lorenz?
- ECF has moved their show date to July 28th.
- ECF 2’s Main Event will feature Augostino DeNatale.
- Score will hold their show on Canada Day weekend in Hamilton.
- Robert Thomas, a Canadian 37-7 Muay Thai fighter, will make his MMA debut on the next Score.
- Advin Omic is dropping to 155lbs.
- Cage Fighting Manitoba will hold a show in November. Someone should win a shiny new Bantamweight belt on this show.
- It sounds like Ryan Chiappe is no longer with the MFC.
- I heard one of the first people to call Mike Hackert after his big win over Tim Hague was Mark Pavelich. Possible rematch at MFC?
- Why is more known about Aggression FC 10 on June 15 than the Aggression FC 9 card scheduled a week earlier?
- Hard Knocks has raised over $70k for charities. Money has been donated to the Lions Club, local sports organizations, athletes and other worthy causes.
- AFC 10: Rise contest. Take Steve Fader’s AFC profile photo from his Facebook page and make it your profile picture. A draw will be made from all those that did and the winner will receive 2 tickets to the Calgary AFC show.
NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email: email@example.com.