Luke Harris Takes on Dewees at MFC 33

Luke Harris

A new bout featuring a pair of high-profile names has slid into position on the main card of the Maximum Fighting Championship’s MFC 33: Collision Course lineup.

Meeting at a catchweight of 195 pounds, veteran Edwin “Bam Bam” Dewees (37-15) will clash with submission specialist Luke Harris (8-1) in a featured matchup that will be part of the HDNet Fights live broadcast on Friday, May 4 from the Mayfield Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta.

The televised card, topped by the MFC welterweight title fight between Ryan “The Kid” McGillivray and Nathan “Soul Force” Coy, kicks off at 10 p.m. ET/8 p.m. MT/7 p.m. PT (check local listings for channel designation).

The Dewees/Harris matchup will take the spot vacated by the postponed contest pitting Dwayne Lewis against Aron Lofton. That rematch has been shelved due to Lewis sustaining a hand injury in training.

Dewees, who hails from Phoenix, Arizona, has collected 30 submission wins over his career, and will make his organizational and 2012 debut at MFC 33. The 29-year-old has fought a who’s who of big-name competition throughout his career including such notables as former MFC middleweight champion Patrick Cote, Rich Franklin, Chris Leben, and Frank Trigg. Dewees, who fought three times in 2011, is a former reality show standout alongside Cote, Matt Serra, and Jorge Rivera.

Harris returns to the MFC looking to avenge the only loss of his career, suffered back at MFC 13 via a first-round TKO loss to Brad Zazulak.

The 34-year-old, who will have plenty of home town support fighting in Edmonton, has not lost since his pro debut and already has two victories under his belt in 2012. A Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, Harris’s wins have all come inside the opening round, and he holds first-minute victories over veterans Elliot Duff and Dan Chambers.

Tickets for MFC 33: Collision Course are going fast and are available exclusively through the MFC Ticket Hotline at (780) 504-2024.

38 Responses to “ Luke Harris Takes on Dewees at MFC 33 ”

1. mike kent says:

thats a good fight ! glad to have harris in the MFC. Maybe will meet up after all :)

2. Jamie Locke says:

“(check local listings for channel designation).

I am so bummed to have lossed HDNET… Hopefully I can find a stream.

3. Donald Duck says:

Sorry to say this but…..

It’s been a long long long long long time since Edwin Dewees was a serious threat to anyone. Add to this the fact that he’s fighting at a bloated 195 and you have yet another bit of cannon fodder for Harris to blow through.

4. BFM says:

Still should be a good fight. Good for Harris

5. Gunner says:

Regardless where dewees is at ,,, this is still a big step up in competition for Luke so props to him for that , will be an interesting fight for sure

6. Donald Duck says:

How is it going to be a ‘good fight’? Since lossing his fight to Leben in ’05 he’s gone 5-8 and only made it out of the first round once. Actually he’s only seen past the four minute mark of the first round once in that time as well.

Edwin was a destroyer back in the day but that was when he was a small middleweight. Since his fight with Leben his 5 wins have come against 4 guys with lossing records and one with 1 fight! A combined 18-29! Edwin had more wins then these guys had combined losses!

7. Nighty night says:

Big name I guess. Still many more interesting match ups I would have rather seen with Harris. Good luck to him. To bad he signed with Pavelich though. Only reason I was excited for this card was to see lewis vs lofton. Mukais fight will also be good and I am not intrigued at all by the main event unfortunately

8. Paveldouche says:

Going to be an empty barn without Dwayne.

9. Idolmaker says:

What kind of a promoter actively cheers, albeit behind many screen names, against fighters in their organization?

10. booboo says:

11. Freddyboomboom says:

This is a step up for Harris

12. mike kent says:

hahah thanks for your enthusiasm booboo lukes a great fighter and fighting someone like that would be a great exciting fight and is possible but im focused on cody right now , training has never been better , im lighter then ever before a fight and im ready for a war. cody is the biggest challenge and best ive faced yet so the MFC wil get the best of me ,

As for luke this is a step up dewees is a veteran and has tons of wins and great on the ground , good for luke signing to the UFC and good luck

13. mike kent says:

mfc lol

14. Nighty night says:

Mark – how many screen names is that now? freddie boom boom is number 10? At least your not bashing your own fighters on this thread. Wasnt long ago when you were bashing harris on topmmanews. Surprised he is fighting for you

15. Freddyboomboom says:

Mike Kent would love to see him down the road against Harris or Hope.

16. gd up says:

bout time

17. Nighty night says:

Freddy Boom Boom aka mark pavelich – what is your secrete to looking like a tranny?

18. Guns Loaded says:

Did Luke sign a 1 fight contract?

19. Idolmaker says:

You tell us guns. We know who pays your bills.

20. Kyle Stoltz says:

@Guns Loaded, Yes he did!

21. Kyle Stoltz says:

@Donald Duck I think we need to do a tiny bit of homework before we bash Edwin. He is 5-7 in his last 12 fights. 4 of those losses were to Jorge Rivera, Frank Trigg, Cory MacDonald and Lil Nog. The other 3 were to guys with records 21-3, 10-2 and 18-8. So it’s not like he is losing to bad fighters. People use to complain about Luke not fighting enough now he is taking his 3rd fight in 2012, has to be one of the most active guys in all of Canada for 2012. Then people say let’s see him face someone with a good ground game Edwin has 30 submission victories. To break this down the complaints are getting a bit old.

22. Idolmaker says:

I agree Kyle, however you last stated
    His next opponent was a gonna be impressive. Alot of people are wishing Luke much success, myself included. Edwin dewees doesn’t exactly get too many ppl excited.

Edwin Dewees is a monster step up over his previous opponents. Dewees would crush everyone of Luke’s last opponents.

24. I think its a good step up for Luke to get a chance for a win over an ex-UFC fighter on his resume. No problems with the fight.

25. Kazam says:

its a very big fight and I don’t think Luke will have an easy win .I think he is going to lose this one .just sayin

26. Donald Duck says:

Thanks for the flip side of the coin Kyle although you didn’t address the fact that while he losses to tough opponents his wins are against scrubs. I think what you fail to understand is that everyone is in Luke’s corner and have been for a while. The guy reeks of talent yet hasn’t fought anyone on par with his prospective skill level. The longer he fights guys like Dewees (come on, to say Edwin isn’t long past his prime is bunk and you know it) the harder it will be to make the case for him moving up to where he belongs. A record of smashing cans won’t get him into the UFC.

Also, beating a guy who hasn’t gone more than 2 minutes with the guys you listed won’t mean much if Luke can’t do it in under two minutes. If he takes longer than that to beat Edwin he’s not going to look very good. Frankly Edwin is too much of a risk for a fighter in Luke’s position and failing to have a stunningly dominant performance is going to hurt Luke more than anything else.

Keep in mind, you’re being lectured on the fight game by a Disney character so take it for what it’s worth.

27. Idolmaker says:

No doubt dewees destroys all of Luke’s prior opponents, look at who all he’s fought. It’s a step up, judging from kyles previous posts he was fighting like Anderson silva!

28. Kyle Stoltz says:

@Idolmaker no I think your the one who took me saying most people will like his next fight as me saying he will be fighting the likes of Anderson Silva. No offense but I used logic when I said that and thought most people would realize it’s a reasonable step up in competition not an ubsurd step up. We found a televised fight vs. a UFC vet with 37 wins and a household name. If all goes to plan expect to see Luke in there with 2-3 known names or top 10 Canadian 185 pounders by years end. If your not happy with that, then sir I can’t help you.

29. Kyle Stoltz says:

@Donald Duck here comes the flip side. In Edwin’s last 21 fights he has gone past the 1st round, 1 time and that was an early 2nd round fight. He is 12-9 in those fights as well. So the reality is in fights he wins or loses he usually does not leave the 1st round. So your statement of him losing fast means nothing cause he wins fast too. He’s kind of a home run or stikeout type of fighter. It’s all or nothing.

I think even Edwin himself would tell you this is not the best he has ever been in his life but to say he is still not a very solid fighter is crazy to me. Also he’s 29 year old so not like he’s old. I think a ton of Edwin’s loses he took on short notice, this one he had the same notice that Luke had, so I expect Edwin to come in very ready.

Then you said if Luke does not win fast it’s a big let down. That makes zero sense. If he looks good that is a huge bump up to his career, as it’s a televised fight vs. a household name. I could care less when he wins the fight as long as he looks solid doing it to me it’s a great boost.

Also about you saying everyone is behind Luke, I don’t see it that way. It’s odd to me but the reality is some people here complain about him no matter what he does. It’s odd cause he’s an extremely solid fighter, geat guy and is part owner of a company that contributes a huge amount to this sport. But the truth is most complaints on here about him are from 2-3 screen names and I believe those all belong to promoters that complain for one reason or another. So I agree FANS are behind him it’s promoters that bark the loudest, for what ever reason.

30. Cameron McQueen says:

Kyle, Edwin is a good name to add to the resume. Luke should no doubt run through him and I wish his success. You don’t have to defend yourself here. Goodluck but after this one you need to get him a good stiff test to show if he has that heart that champs are made of.

31. Idolmaker says:

So he will run through him, but then needs a stiff test….doesn’t that back my take up. Kyle ideally it is the next logical step would be an Edwin dewees, you did good work homie. I like Luke, and glad to see he’s moving forward with a plan.

32. Guns Loaded says:

Luke wins this fight he will be on the Calgary UFC show!

I agree with Guns

34. Kyle Stoltz says:

I think Calgary would be tough but you never know. UFC is so organized even though it’s not public knowledge I would bet a good 80% of the Calgary card is booked already or just waiting for contracts to be signed to make the fights official. I think for us to get on that card someone would probably have to fall out to injury, which let’s be honest happens alot. My eyes are set more on 2 later UFC Canada cards in 2012.

I think with this card now having Kent, Cody, Luke and Buckland on it to me all 4 are in the top 15 185 pounders in Canada there should be some interesting matches to make after this card is over. To me this card has 4 elite level prospects for Canada at 185 pounds, to me the winners should fight and see who the best prospect of them all is.

35. mike kent says:

i agree kyle . This card will answer alot of question about alot of fighters ! its shaping up to be a great night of fights. there will be alot of great matches to make after this event

36. Guns Loaded says:

In MMA you need ground. Luke wins 99% of the time if he gets it to the ground.

It’s only a question if the fight can go there.

I earned allot of respect for Luke in MMA but have lots all respect for Jimmo.

That’s all :)

37. My Name is URL says:

I want to see how Luke does when he gets hit. Heard he was hurt in Troyer fight before cage ended that fight.

38. Idolmaker says:

Guns all of his wins are by sub, wouldn’t that mean he wins 100% of the time he gets it there? He also has a loss and a nc, so in 10 bouts does it mean he wins 80% of the time, when he gets it there?