Canadian Rumour Mill – March 27
- Don’t think we’ll be seeing Tony Hervey back at Ringside anytime soon…sounds like Tony Hervey was very unprofessional following his loss to Mike Ricci at Ringside. Not only did the Freedom Fight champ grab the mic from the announcer, but backstage he stormed into Ricci’s room looking to fight him, Nick Diaz style! Hervey was restrained by cooler heads, but it sounds like Montreal police are looking into the situation. BAD MOVE Lionheart, Van Damme would have shown more restraint!
- Look for Brent Fryia to battle it out with Syd Barnier on Freedom Fights, April 21st.
- Also Brent’s brother Mitch will also be on the Freedom Fight card taking on Derek “Maverick” MacDonald. Maybe Mitch could be “Iceman”?
- Speaking of brothers! Denis Kang’s younger brother, Tommy fought for Road FC this past weekend. Tommy Kang pounded out Eun Soo Kim halfway through the second to win his debut.
- Lenny Wheeler may replace Lyndon Whitlock on the upcoming Elite 1 card. Won’t be a title fight though.
- Ryan Jimmo is in Florida training with the Blackzillians. Prepping for a UFC fight?
- UFC 154 on November 17 in Montreal could be the return to the cage for GSP!
- Mark Bocek victim update: Ever wonder what happened to Dustin Hazelett? After Mark Bocek tore through his rubber guard to give him his third consecutive loss, he retired and entered medical school. Smart man!
- Wondering how JMac returned to the UFC after his 5 year leave of absence from his “previous” job ended? He was granted another leave of absence, this time for 12 months! YES!
- Seberg has become a two sport can. He lost in 15 seconds (1 punch) in boxing this past weekend. He joins the Bobby Kalmakoff club! BRUTAL!
- Curtis “The Demon” Demarce update! Curtis just had 8 hour surgery last Tuesday. He broke his humerous bone (shoulder down to elbow) into 6 pieces as well damaged all the nerves. Word is he may lose some feeling in arm and if the skin wasn’t holding everything all together he would be missing his arm. Sad news. Hope Curtis heals up as best as he possibly can!
- Aggression is back June 8th! Look for current ECSC Fighter of the Year Steve “Big Bad” Beaumont to fight for the LW strap, and maybe Victor Valimaki to scrap for the LHW title!
- Nathan Gunn is fighting Dom O’Grady on the Bellator card.
- Kinda cool…Before official free-trade talks commenced in Tokyo, Japan on Sunday March 25th, Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper presented Yoshihiko Noda, the Prime Minister of Japan, with a pair of autographed UFC gloves signed by Georges St-Pierre. UFC Canada bigwig Tom Wright helped out the PM after hearing Mr Noda was a huge supporter of Canada’s greatest MMA fighter.
Here’s some Boxing/MMA stuff for you guys:
- Ali Nestor (12-5-2) takes on Martin Avila (13-8) on his own UGC card in Montreal on April 7th.
- On the same card, Dimitri Waardenburg (0-0) will make his boxing debut vs debuting Jaber Zayani (0-0).
- Eric Barrak (6-0) returns to boxing to face Sandy Pembroke (1-4). Pembroke is a former World champ in kick boxing. This fight will be held by GYM promotions in Montreal on April 20th