Canadian Rumour Mill – March 13

I’m really enjoying reading Nick Denis’ Blog, pretty fun stuff to read. I want a Shawarma now, Robin get me one!

Good Canadian fight week coming up with 4 shows on the horizon for this week!!!

• BFL is planning on holding their first event outside of Canada.  Look for BFL MEXICO in December!
  • OUCH, Clay Davidson will be forced out of his AM Ford Fight Night Middleweight title fight against Stephan Frictra after unfortunately sustaining a broken ankle.  Get healthy, Clay!
  • Looks like Freedom Fight’s Pete Rodley will be looking for a new 135er for Brent Fryia.  Bo Harris is moving to the Bellator card at Casino Rama where he will take on Nick Kirk.
  • What’s in the water in Alberta? Private weigh-ins in Calgary now? No media allowed? Will the UFC be allowed to hold public weigh-ins in Calgary but not shows like Hard Knocks or Ax Combat?  Here comes the fun police!!! What’s next Pride Rules??? Oh wait…
  • FIGHTER ALERT – Thinking of fighting on an unsanctioned card?  Any fighter that has competed in a pro or amateur unsanctioned event,as defined by the Calgary Commission, at any time in their career must have an MRI of their brain done prior to competing in Calgary.  Check with the CCSC to see if your fight is sanctioned based on their criteria.  It could be cities with no commissions, commissions that don’t oversee amateur, or commissions that the CCSC does not recognize.
  • It sounds like Luigi Fioravanti will be signing for a couple fights with Instinct.
  • John Alessio has brought to light that in his past (over 10 years ago) he dabbled in PEDs.  While I admire his honesty, I guess he was not completely Natural.
  • Mark Hominick will be featured in a documentary called Lights Spirit Pride about his rise from regional MMA to the UFC title fight!
  • Sources are saying that Unified MMA 11 could be already sold out two week’s in advance of its March 30th date.  Congrats to promoter Sunny Singh!  I guess fans are really looking forward to that Mike Davis vs Corey Lautischer Flyweight title fight.
  • So no Indestructible MMA show in Yarmouth, I guess. Sounds like they were in talks with the Maximum Fighting Championship to hold a big card in Yarmouth, but the guy at the venue wanted to keep his town down and thought maybe the idea was just too big for his britches. The show had the backing of HDNet and TSN2 as well as the mayor of Yarmouth. Too bad the Mariner Centre played hardball and kept the show from happening.

34 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – March 13 ”

1. mike kent says:

If MFC came to halifax or anywhere on the east coast it would sell out for sure

2. It’s the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner

Unified always has a packed house and the best atmosphere for a fight card in Edmonton… Can’t wait for Unified 11!

4. Donald Duck says:

What is happening in Calgary?!?

I get the idea of ‘official’ weigh ins away from the camera (sort of what the UFC did for a while) but to not allow press there kind of makes it sound a little shady or lazy….

Donnie

Keith Grienke kills it when singing Iron Maiden!

Ya when you say that people can’t watch weigh ins they think that something is sketchy.

7. ASSASSIN says:

AX Weigh ins WILL still be at Jack Carter Chev Olds for every event.

Apparently someone… wTF! theres AN AX 3 thread on here?? ahahhahahaha.

brb

8. Ryan says:

MFC in the Maritimes would have been huge. Put it in Halifax PAV!

Thanks Steve

Sean Quinn will fight Brent Fryia. Call him….

Brent turned down 2 or 3 good fighters (who were easy wins for him imo) before accepting Harris because he wanted to fight someone with a big winning record.

Quinn’s misleading record can make it tough.

12. Jamie Locke says:

BFL in Mexico will be super cool, it’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I imagine they will bring down the guys they have signed on multi-fight deals at the time.

I was looking forward to seeing Clay at 185, there are alot of good fights for him in BC at that weight, I am sure he can make a good run. Good luck with a quick recovery Clay!

Closed weigh-ins is definitly a step backwards. It is a great way for a promotion to get some night before hype on their show, support a local venue to host and provide more exposure for sponsors. It’s also a great way for the fighters to get that extra visability, photo’s/ press and give some more exposure for their sponsors as well. Plus everyone loves a good stare down shot when the lads are ripped, hungryu and pissed from their weight cut.

I think the fact that Alessio tried PED’s 10 years ago has 0 relevance. There are tonnes of guys who used regularly back then. Good for him for talking about it and bringing to light that there are disadvantages to them as well.

14. david letourneau says:

What’s the reasoning for the private weigh ins? I’ve never heard a more ridiculous move by any commission in any sport. 1 coach? I’ve got two flying down what’s one going to do wait in the car for a text? Family friends media all enjoy it as much as the event. Wonder if this is a case of somebody abusing power to make a point.

15. Advino says:

Feel so bad for Clay. Dudes on of the nicest guys out there and he really wanted this fight. He looked amazing last weekend sparring, the dudes a warrior and I wish him a healthy recovery.

16. Paveldouche says:

“I dunno why Alessio mentioned it to be honest. What’s the point of bringing it up?”

When questioned about PED use during an interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” program, Alessio jokingly asked if he could plead the fifth.

“I’ll be honest with you,” he said. “I’m an honest person. When I was young — in my 18, 19, 20s, you know, 22 — I dabbled in a few of them. I tried them out [to see] how it is, so I know what they can do, and I know how they can work against you also.”

Any idea where in Mexico BFL is proposing to go?

17. Guns Loaded says:

Pav being a bit to much of a racist:

from article:

Listen, Cain Velasquez is a great fighter, but he couldn’t sell a taco and he’s Mexican, how is he going to sell a fight? He is horrible, the guy can’t even speak , I’m telling you, did you see Dana White’s face when he was putting the belt on him? He almost started throwing up right there in the octagon.

:http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/277287/Mark-Pavelich-Im-kind-of-weird/

18. Just Sayin' says:

I was looking forward to two title fights at the Unified 11 fight. Too bad Shady backed out. Hope to see that match up again down the road.

19. Jamie Locke says:

“OUCH, Clay Davidson will be forced out of his AM Ford Fight Night Middleweight title fight against Stephan Frictra after unfortunately sustaining a broken ankle. Get healthy, Clay!”

Just thinking they should put Andrew “The Belt Collector” Buckland in there as a replacement. I am sure he’s under contract with BFL though.

20. Joe Doerksen says:

I’m not busy right now. WHen and where is the fight,and who was he facing?

21. Jamie Locke says:

I was just saying since Buckland is collecting some belts right now it could be another one for the mantle.

I think both of you woulod be out of this guys league though.

22. mike kent says:

joe dont come on here beging for fights ok ? go through your manager like the rest of us :) lol

23. Joe Doerksen says:

I’m bored Mike. Besides, don’t think I was begging. I was just sayin… :)

24. Donald Duck says:

I thought Joe was going to be fighting SideShow Mike from Team Shenanigans!

25. mike kent says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 2 Thumb down 19

26. Joe Doerksen says:

thumbs down wasn’t from me.

Donald, the Sideshow fight will never happen. It’s just way easier for him to say he’d win than to actually fight.

27. Ryan says:

I can’t believe me and Mike got thumbs down for wanting to see an MMA event come to our town. Some people thumbs down anything about the MFC, kind’ve stupid in my opinion.

The MFC coming to Halifax or Yarmouth would be a place for local fighters to fight on a big stage and get paid, yeah, that deserves a thumbs down. Idiots.

28. Priest says:

Hmmm, i like mark pavelich, and i respect what he does for his organization, but he shouldn’t bring the racist comments about cain, that’s completly uncalled for.

You know what drives me nuts about Cain is his “Brown Pride” tattoo!

WTF does that mean?????

30. Gunner says:

Should definatly have a big “BKB” right below it or in the tramp stamp location on his lower back

happy bday again you sexy mofo you, (well as sexy as robin black anyway)

Thanks Gunner!

I totally agree a BKB tramp stamp would make me a fan. :)

That “Brown Pride” tattoo I don’t understand.
    What’s the meaning?

33. Mighty Mouse says:

Cain Velasquez Interview:

“I got this tattoo for two reasons. One, for everything my parents did to come over to this country, all the hardships they had crossing the border. ‘Brown pride’ when we were growing up meant ‘Mexican pride.’ That’s how we would say it. It’s something to say if we’re proud about where we came from. What my Dad did, my Mom did to get over to this country to me means a lot. I’m proud of where I came from. I’m proud of what Mexican people stand for. We’re known as hard working people. We’re known as fighters. We’re known to have a lot of heart. We’re known to never give up in the gym and have a lot of cardio. To always work hard. The work ethic that my Dad, all the Mexican people bring out in the fields and stuff, we bring to the gym and whatever else we do. Another reason why I got is because when I was growing up I didn’t have anybody to look up to. There’s nobody that was my size that was Mexican that looked like me that I could see in the media. I pretty much didn’t have those dreams of ‘Hey, I can do that stuff. I can be in the media, I can play professional sports.’ I didn’t have that. I didn’t have anybody to look up to so now that I’m in that position, I put ‘Brown Pride’ on my chest to let people know ‘Hey, I’m Mexican. I’m proud to be Mexican. I’m doing good things.’ For those people that just don’t know the story behind it, that’s all I can say. The only thing I can do is clear it up by doing interviews like this.”