Pure Fighting Championship 9 – Red Deer – May 11

Date: May 11, 2012
Location: Westerner Park, Prairie Pavilion in Red Deer, AB
TV:
Tickets:

Pro Fights:
185lbs- Ryan Machan (15-8) vs. Dan Chambers (16-18)
135lbs- Mitch McPhee (3-0) vs. Tyler Davis (6-2)
Tim Tamaki (15-23) vs. Aaron Armstrong (3-1)
Mark Maruzs (3-2) vs. Peter Neufeld (4-3)
155lbs- Cody Ries (1-1) vs. Brendan Blacquier (2-1)

Amateur Fights:
Chris Chapman (1-1) vs. Lee Popp (0-0)
Abel Burroughs (0-0) vs. Jemark Brady (0-0)
Zach Burroughs (0-0) vs. Taylor Bongofski (0-0)

All fights unconfirmed and Subject to commission approval

128 Responses to “ Pure Fighting Championship 9 – Red Deer – May 11 ”

1. Donald Duck says:

While the sport is hybridizing I personally think that ‘Pure MMA’ training is an excuse for some guy who fought a bunch to partner up with another guy and open a gym in a basement and start making money. The gyms people often cite as ‘pure MMA gyms’ are often the ones run by guys with ridiculously deep pedegree’s in BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing, Muay Thai, Sambo, etc, etc, etc…

The gym most people cite for being a ‘Pure MMA Gym’ Team Quest was founded by a BJJ Purple belt (Follis), and two Olympic Wrestlers (Lindland and Couture).

2. Frenchy says:

I didnt mean to start debates but they turned out to be good ones :-) I was just trying to get someone for my guy cause he trains damm hard, and improves everyday, he loves it and has proven that he deserves it and nothing better then an amateur fight cause he is young.

3. James Petryk says:

Thanks Mike for the clarification. The fact amateur fighters have to pay for their corners is silly. A year ago or longer, wasn’t amateur MMA supposed to be legitimized and regulated through the Edmonton commission? They set out that fighters had to have a winning amateur record before turning pro, a coach from a reputable gym sign off on them, etc., etc. What ever happened to that? I’ve asked before and no one seemed to know. Does anyone? To me, that was a step in the right direction.

4. Just Sayin' says:

I agree with Duck. Too many guys think they can train and train others in their basements, backyards, or garages with having not enough experience themselves. They think they train ‘MMA’ for a year and suddenly are experts in the field. Sometimes these guys are being trained by people who themselves don’t even step into the ring…

5. TiTuS RhymeZ says:

In the Blue corner we have a fighter training under a prestigious gym, but has horrible control over his nervous system prone to getting butterflies in the cage. In the Red corner is a fighter who is training in his backyard/garage but has a good understanding of the sport and is mentally tough with great composure…Is this a mismatched based only on the fact that Red corners garage/backyard has no credentials and Is looked down upon by MMA enthusiasts?

6. Tyler Davis says:

Well put Titus , I know me and my brother had a basement gym we put alot if work into. And then fought out of edson (small town,small gym) but we managed to do OK.

7. Donald Duck says:

Well Titus, you assume that the Blue corner’s team did everything right with regards to training and then sh*t the bed when it came to understanding their fighter’s mental state. Odds of that happening are probably very low. Add onto that the fact that said gym has a half dozen or more active pros training in it and that chance goes down to zero.

Tyler, was this before or after you guys trained with a legit gym and then decided to strike out on your own? I don’t ask to be a dick but to make the point that you didn’t just start watching tapes in your basement.

Donnie

8. Tyler Davis says:

No we trained on our own first, through alot of instructionals as well. The first gym we trained at was an hour drive away and we only made it there 3x a week and then trained at our house. We then moved to Edson to train more steadily. I’m just saying Titus makes a point about counting some guys out due to credentials. I was just at a grappling tournament where someone said “hes white belt just like you” but the white belt was a very experienced grappler, so sometimes just don’t count out guys.

9. Tyler Davis says:

Don’t get me wrong Donald I’m totally for training at established training facilities, and don’t not advocate training at home. Just thought Titus had a good argument going there especially when its ammy Mma. I don’t think anyone should step in there pro unless totally prepared and willing to condone themselves like professional athletes

10. TiTuS RhymeZ says:

Donnie you make a great point,training with a team of active pros will definitely give any fighter a confidence boost. I agree with you that in most cases the scenario I suggested is unlikely, but its not unrealistic. The point I’m trying to make is that its not the tools in box its how you use your tools on site that counts. Fighting can be as complex or as simplistic as you want it to be. Example in one corner you can have a well rounded fighter a jack of all traders but a journeyman of none vs scrappy guy with less then avg wrestling weak Bjj but a leg kick like Pat Berry. The well rounded fighter will have many more options as to where he can take the fight but one miscalculation that allows the kick to land can change the entire fight at any point in the fight, Obviously the well rounded fighter should win 8-9/10…but if we apply this to my blue corner gym trained fighter vs Red corner basement/garage fighter. If the blue fighter counts out the red fighter simply because of credentials the chances of a mistake that allows the kick to land are much higher due to a negligent elitist attitude where we could see the well rounded fighters chances of winning drop from 80-90% to as low as a 50/50 split….Tyler Davis hit the nail on the head with the grappling tourney example and also had a nice follow up comment, I agree that once you get to the point to where you want to make a run and stay in this sport you’d be stupid not to be training with a great team just don’t let it go to your head because ” On any given Sunday you’re gonna win or you’re gonna lose. The point is – can you win or lose like a man?”

11. Ryan Machan says:

Justin Baesman has pulled out. PFC is looking for a last minute replacement. anyone interested
    ?

12. Dan chambers says:

What weight?

13. Advino says:

Bump bump bump it up.

TORTURE CHAMBERS!

Still love when he KOd 6’8″ Darren Appels at MFC 10! Classic!

Chambers vs Farmer was a classic too.

I sparred a couple rounds with Dan once in Lethbridge.

Still hurts when I sneeze.

16. Ryan Machan says:

Willing to fight 180 or 185

You say that Robin, cuz you never saw Torture Chambers damn near kill Darren Appels back in the day!

True. True.

Wish I did.

19. Dan chambers says:

Thanks boys…. I just love to throw down!

20. Dan chambers says:

We said yes to fighting Ryan…. I hope its a go!

21. Mike Davis says:

Hope fight is a go that would be a great scrap!!!

22. Dean Panas says:

Great to see a fight come together like that! Two respectful Canadian boys who like to scrap. They’ll put on a great show and then grab beers together after.

23. Advin Omic says:

Your da man Dan, much respect dude.

24. Update: Added Cody Ries vs Brendan Blacquier

25. Ryan Machan says:

Looks like everything is a go.
    I’ll be fighting Dan chambers.
    Deinks are on me. Thanks Dan

26. Ryan Machan says:

Drinks lol
    Sorry I get hit in the head to much

27. Jamie Locke says:

Great Fight!

28. Jake - JHEG says:

This is why I’m a HUGE fan of Dan Chambers.

29. Dan chambers says:

Hey a chance to test my self against a guy that is tough as nails, a real warrior that has done alot for Mma in Alberta.. And to help out jay Mac and pfc by not losing there main event….. I’m more than happy to be stepping up to this big chalange!!! Should be a exciting one

30. Ryan Machan says:

Dan I’ve nothing but respect for you. You are a true fighter
    And it’s a honor to get in the cage with you.

Great fighters and class acts.

Enjoy the challenge guys.

32. gorny says:

Who ever wins this match gets to keep my undies that i throw in the cage! Love you both long time!!

33. Tyler Davis says:

That is one HELL on a main event!!!!!

34. Tyler Davis says:

Of ***

35. Mike Davis says:

Chambers you are the F***ing MAN!!!

36. Mike Davis says:

Fight card I know about..up to date

185lbs- Ryan Machan (15-8) vs. Dan Chambers (16-18)
    Evan Sanguin (7-3) vs TBA (opponent hurt)
    Mitch McPhee (3-0) vs. Tyler Davis (6-2)
    Tim Tamaki (15-23) vs. Aaron Armstrong (3-1)
    Mark Maruzs (3-2) vs. Peter Neufeld (4-3)
    Matt Ogle (0-0) vs. Tyler O’Brien (1-3)
    Cody Ries (1-1) vs Brendan Blacquier (2-1)

Ammy
    Chris Chapman (1-1) vs. Lee Popp (0-0)
    Abel Burroughs (0-0) vs Jemark Brady (0-0)
    Zach Burroughs (0-0) vs Taylor Bongofski (0-0)

37. Mike Davis says:

If anyone knows someone willing to step up and fight Evan Sanguin at 155 please post…far shot but worth it

38. Ryan Machan says:

Marty Ecklund vs Grayson Wells

39. Just Sayin' says:

I say Sanguin fight Trevor Wright. Best out of 3??? Or, looking at Sanguin’s fight record,fight Troy Sorenson – seems to be the only fight of Evan’s that made it to a third round…

40. rick pfeifer says:

if any one as a amateur 130-145 let Machan know i’ve been looking to get on this card but no opponent

For 155 I know Derek Boyle has been asking around for fights!

42. Jerobe says:

Does anyone know why Arashi Do Red Deer keeps producing top level beasts like the Davis brothers, Omic ect and all the other Arashi Do schools like the Edmonton and Calgary schools dont produce any fighters? I’m just curious. Anyone know?

43. Advino says:

@Jerobe, Gary Vig is a phenomenal coach, plus we got a room full of hungry mentally disturbed dudes that train 6 days a week with the dream of getting punched in the face by the best in the world. Hard work, great coaching, and really messed up adrenaline junkies…great combo. Hope that helps

44. Just Sayin' says:

I wouldn’t say it was strictly Arashido that produces ‘beasts’. For example the Davis Brothers have trained at a few clubs over the years and I would say all those clubs combined have contributed to the fighters they are today. They have not been in Red Deer that long. And the other Arashido clubs do indeed produce other fighters. Might want to double-check your facts there Jerobe…

45. rick pfeifer says:

arashi-do red deer is 9-0 with pros and ams in 2012 when you get so many top level guys like the davis’s machans omic jay mac and many others. combined with great coaching it makes for one hell of a team

46. Donald Duck says:

Still looks like a McDojo to me.

47. Tyler Davis says:

Yup that McDojo serves out McAsswhoopins daily. Just wanna say I could not be happier with the training here in reddeer. Great coach and tons of talented dedicated guys who also happen to just be awsome people!!!! That gym is just a fun atmosphere to train in

48. Tyler Davis says:

P.s. you guys all say Davis brothers like were Siamese twins or somthing lol