KOTC Infamy: Mike Froese Gunning to “Walk Away With the Belt”

After submitting Chris Lauzon in just 50 seconds at King of the Cage Canada’s “Goldmine” event in October, Mike Froese has not only been tapped for a main event appearance, the rising veteran has been granted a shot at Canadian Middleweight Champion Elmer Waterhen. After three plus years of professional fighting and countless hours of martial arts training, it’s a dream come true for the Albertan.
“You know what, it was “wow,” said Froese, while discussing his reaction upon finding out he would fight Waterhen for the belt, March 9th at Edmonton’s Mirage Banquet Hall. “It’s goal number two off the bucket list. One of my goals was to win a fight after I turned 40, and now I’m given this awesome opportunity to contend for the belt and walk away with the strap if things go my way. So I was really excited to get that news.”

Of course Waterhen is no stranger to many Canadian fans. Not only has the Saskatoon fighter competed for KOTC Canada extensively throughout his near decade long career, but he’s taken on several of the nation’s UFC vets like Jesse Bongfeldt, TJ Grant and Rory MacDonald.

“Elmer is quote, unquote a badass,” Froese said about his next opponent, who stopped Brad Stewart last July to become the middleweight champ. “He’s taken some of the top notch guys out there to the distance. I do see one weakness, and his weakness is that he’ll fight anyone. That’s not always necessarily a bad thing, but he won’t turn down any fight, and his record reflects that a little. No one can look at his record though and dismiss that, he really is badass.”
While Waterhen has often earned praise for his toughness and willingness to stand and exchange, Froese is keenly aware that the Champion will bring more than just that to the cage.
“I think it may be fair to say his ground isn’t as good as his striking, but let’s not take away his ground skills from him either,” Froese noted, while discussing whether Waterhen is more of a danger on his feet. “The guy pulled the Chael Sonnen on Aaron Bruce; he was taking a hefty licking and he pulls his heart out of nowhere and triangles him in the third round. His ground might not be as good as his striking, but that’s only because his striking is that good. I’m not underestimating him in any area.”
Froese (5-3) heads into this Friday’s “Infamy” card having gone undefeated in his last three fights and has not lost since May, 2010, when he was submitted by current KOTC Canadian Lightweight Champion Chad Freeman.
“I guess I’m a guy that likes to set the pace early; I wouldn’t say that I’m as high energy as Elmer, but I’m a style of my own,” said Froese, who has recorded four wins now by submission. “I’m not afraid to stand and bang, but gravity’s on my side, so I’ll take that edge if it needs to go down. If not, I’ll stand and bang. There’s all these names for fighters, whether it’s a wrestler, a ground fighter or a Muay Thai fighter, whatever, but let’s go back to the old days and say that I’m freestyle.”
Froese continues to benefit from the guidance and training that’s provided through one of Canada’s leading facilities, The Hayabusa Training Centre in St. Albert, Alberta.
“Wrestler extraordinaire, Roger Alves is a key component to all of my camps as of late,” Froese noted, when asked to relay who has helped him prepare for the upcoming title fight. “Submission guru Luke Harris; that guy has really put a lot of technique into my ground game, and then I have guys like Chase Degenhardt, Chuck Pelc, and Jeff Montemurro really adding their pieces into my game…All the guys there, the students too, have been helping me out.”
Now, as the biggest fight of his career approaches, Froese is keeping his eye on the prize rather than speculating too much on what lies ahead if he becomes champion.
“You know, one fight at a time,” said the former welterweight. “I’ve struggled with trying to keep my weight up for this fight, and that’s something I’ll have to look at moving forward at 185. It’s clear that my body is telling me that it likes to be at a lighter weight class, so I may have to put some lean mass on and see how that works for me.”
“The plan for this fight is to just go out there and fight my ass off; hopefully walk away with the belt,” Froese furthered. “Then we’ll go from there and see who Ken (Kupsch) puts in front of me.”

23 Responses to “ KOTC Infamy: Mike Froese Gunning to “Walk Away With the Belt” ”

1. Dave Mah says:

This will be a great fight. Elmer is in the best condition that I’ve ever seen him. This is the strongest he has ever been. You’d be nutty to miss this fight!

2. Guns Loaded says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 4 Thumb down 16

3. Donald Duck says:

A win over Lauzon (who was 0-1 when they fought and has since add two more for a wicked 0-4 record) gets you a title shot?

4. Dean Panas says:

This is going to be a fun fight for the fans.
    I know this is an article on Mike, but why use a pic of him standing in another organizations ring? If you don’t have a pic of him in the KOTC cage maybe use the KOTC logo.

5. Jake - JHEG says:

I’m a huge Mike Froese fan. Great guy and awesome ambassador to the sport. He’s always been the first guy to step up when helping other fighters (wrapping hands, cutting weight, cornering) and his work ethic is dynamite in the gym.

Proud of you buddy. Best of luck in the fight.

Mike Froese is not only one of the best guys in MMA, he’s one of the best guys I’ve ever known.

7. Donald Duck says:

I get that its nice to see a nice guy get a nice opportunity to do things but (and I’ve only heard of the guy since Lauzon waggled his jowls pre-fight) can the guy fight at least?

PS – Donnie is nice.

8. Jerobe says:

Froese by sub 1st round

Yes Mike can fight.

I got Mike by TKO in 1st rd. Ref stoppage strikes from mount.

or maybe RNC

Mike Froese would beat the Mark Dellagrotte look alike in Calgary(at least that’s how he looked 4 or 5 yrs ago) :)

Frose is a sweet dude and a good fighter. Great work ethic, great passion for the sport.

Waterhen defines the word warrior.

Great fight.

Mike’s repping the old guys and old man strength!

Ya Mike get in there and score one for guys in their 40s!

14. Mike Froese is awesome

I talk about him on this week’s episode of Top MMA Radio.

15. peter puck says:

Froese is a very good guy.

16. peter puck says:

king of the cage is brutal

17. Really Dean Panas? Are the ropes that offensive?

18. Dean Panas says:

No Keith Grienke, the ropes aren’t offensive at all. For me it’s about principal. This is an article on Mike and his KOTC championship fight. If it was an article on Mike and his MFC championship fight, would you have a pic of him standing in a KOTC cage wearing KOTC gloves?

19. @Dean Panas… Yes.

It’s never ever been a consideration before.

20. Donald Duck says:

BK – You’re probably right.

22. What does it matter where the picture is from?

MFC has the best lighting at their shows, so the best pics are most likely going to be from that show.

It shouldn’t be about the show, it should be about Froese.

23. Gunner says:

Sorry you guys are wierd you have a sexy hunk of a mike in front of you and your fighting over ropes or cage geesh both can be kinky in there own way if used proper so stick to the point Mike is sexy and he is fighting for a belt yuppie