Bellator 67 – Casino Rama – May 4

Date: May 4, 2012
Location: Casino Rama in Rama, Ontario
Tickets: Ticketmaster
Broadcast: The Score/MTV2 (Main Card)

Fight Card:
155lbs- Michael Chandler (9-0) vs. Akihiro Gono (32-17)
***Non-Title Fight

170lbs- Ben Saunders (13-4-2) vs. Bryan Baker (17-3)
*Welterweight Tournament Semi-Finals

170lbs- Ryan Ford (17-4) vs. Luis Santos (50-7)
265lbs- Damian Grabowski (14-1) vs. Dave Huckaba (17-4)

Preliminary Card:
170lbs- Nathan Gunn (9-2) vs. Dom O’Grady (13-4)
176lbs- Nordine Taleb (7-1) vs. Matt MacGrath (10-7)
145lbs- Matt Veal (9-7) vs. Will Romero (7-3)
135lbs- Bo Harris (6-3-1) vs. Nick Kirk (7-0)
155lbs- Cosmo Alexander (1-1) vs Lorawnt Nelson (4-0)

35 Responses to “ Bellator 67 – Casino Rama – May 4 ”

1. Update: added Akihiro Gono vs Michael Chandler

Irrelevant fight

3. Veal vs. Romero is an interesting matchup with 2 great guys.

4. Jamie Locke says:

Akihiro Gono vs Michael Chandler

Irrelevant indeed. They could have at least brought in a guy coming off a couple of wins. I hate non-title fights!

John and I just called Gono’s last fight in Deep. Called it yesterday.

It airs Thursday eve on Fight Network. Fight Network is in free trial all month, everyone gets it free.

Gono looked good, very elusive counterpunching game.

I doubt he can hang with Chandler but I’ll be excited to see it.

If you check out that Fight Thursday tell me what you think.

Gono is not even close to half the fighter he was back in his Pride days. He’s on a 2 fight losing streak and he’s coming in to fighter Chandler??? BRUTAL!

7. Jake - JHEG says:

We were holding off announcing the Veal fight but I see that it’s out so I’ll go ahead and comment…lol.

Just wanted to say that I’m very proud of Matt and this huge opportunity speaks volumes about his work ethic over the last year. We sat down a very long time ago and discusses his path to a big show and he knew what it was going to take to get there. This young man has a ton of heart, work ethic and one hell of a great style when it comes to weigh in costumes. With the help of my partner in crime, Kurtis Loth, together we have tried our best to be a solid management team and these are the fruits of HIS labor…not ours.

Welcome to the big show Kid Lightning…well deserved!!

8. Sean Quinn says:

My managers and I had a similar discussion about how we were gonna get to the big show.
    We determined that i needed to get some fights.
    I guess that isnt happening, so plan B is to buy a ticket to a big show and just enjoy other people fighting…

fuck.

9. Jake - JHEG says:

Maybe your managers should talk to us managers and TOGETHER we can get ya a little somethin’ somethin’

I don’t poach fighters…but I am more than happy to help out other people if you need a fight.

Proud of you guys Veal and Big Jake and Kurtis!

Great things happen for great people when they put great effort in.

Awesome stuff.

11. Jake - JHEG says:

@Robin – Thanks brotha!

Veal just beat Courtney Buck, major win!

Veal put on a epic fight vs Veal.

I’m a fan of that motherfucker!!!

13. Kyle Stoltz says:

@Jake congrats on getting your fighter a fight for Bellator, that’s great! I know a ton of manager’s in the business, know most to be honest and you my man work as hard or harder then them all, this accomplishment is so beyond deserved.

@Sean looks like you have not fought in a long time. Not sure if you have been injured but one rule of thumb stay active as much as you can. Any manager who has talked to Joe Silva and he doesn’t sign your fighter, he will tell you one main thing keep your fighters active. The manager I respect his accomplishments the most in this business from building fighters is Monte Cox and look at what he does with his fighters. It’s a building block his top guys not in the UFC aren’t always fighting the toughest fights, he mixes things up to keep them very active. Two fights where his guys a heavy favorite then a major fight with major implications. I think too many fighter’s and managers try to hit home runs with every fight. Sitting idle waiting for that perfect pitch is not usually the best option. Just my 2 cents.

14. Sean Quinn says:

I’m drunk.
    Inactivity has never been by choice.
    I’m sad.
    And drunk.
    YAY!!!

15. Cody Moorman says:

@Bobby Karimi I think u meant Veal vs welsh was an epic fight.

Just thought id post this cuz it made me laugh.

Gerry Dee-Sports Reporter with Robin Black – YouTube

► 3:47► 3:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbAls1avzzo1 Jul 2008 – 4 min – Uploaded by gerrydee
    Comedian Gerry Dee interviews Ultimate Fighter Robin Black before his first fight. Catch more videos

Ya veal vs welsh. Thanks

17. Jake JHEG says:

Thanks a lot Kyle! That means a lot to me! And who would thumbs down his comments about keeping fighters active? The one thing I love about Topmmanews is that it’s now the premiere place for fighters to go and get info, talk fights, possible opportunities, etc. There’s probably a lot more fight deals that go on from talk here than managers calling each other. If someone like Quinn needs a fight, nobody is telling him to jump ship on management, we’re saying there’s probably a lot of opportunities for fighters when managers work together.

The problem with Quinn is literally no one will fight him.

He doesn’t have any official management, he just has 3 or 4 friends (literally in Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Toronto) constantly looking to find him something. There’s just no takers.

If there’s anyone that can find him a fight do it, He really needs it.

And if there’s anyone that can get him busy and keep him busy he’d be thrilled.

If someone can help him that would be awesome, and his buddies will keep helping look for opportunities.

He’s an idiot and he smells but he’s a great, talented, tough, interesting marketable fighter who should be fighting.

Jake, Kyle, others- please help find him a fight.

19. Idolmaker says:

All we are saying is give Quinn a chance…

20. Kid Lightning says:

This is going to be a great card! Not getting enough attention. Xoxo

21. Jeff harrison says:

Barnier would fight Quinn.. But what promoter would have it? Rodley maybe ? Patry ?

22. Update: Cory MacDonald is off the Bellator card with a concussion.

UPDATE: Added Ben Saunders vs. Bryan Baker and Karl Amoussou vs. David Rickels in Welterweight Semi-Finals

UPDATE: Added Damian Grabowski vs. Dave Huckaba

25. barrie says:

Lets see some local talent for rama card

26. Kenny says:

Fords getting knocked the fuck out.

27. Bern says:

Amoussou-Rickels was moved to Bellator 69, presumably due to a minor injury to one of the fighters.

Another fight on the card is Nick “the Big Hurt” Kirk (7-0) vs. David “Bo” Harris (6-3-1). http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=stats.fightCard&eid=a7e5246d-edda-4864-8759-2f266775fa6e#fight_192749

Taleb is still a possibility.

Anybody hearing about other fights? This card is mysteriously far from complete less than 2 weeks away from the event.

28. KeeSmyth says:

When will Bellator come to western Canada, they could sell out some shows here
    Chandler is an exciting fighter, he will most likely run over Gono but will be interesting to see how much he’a improved
    Good luck to Ryan Ford, his opponent has hell of a record and be cool to see another canadian compete in the tournament

29. CM says:

@ Bern – Not having a full card announced this far out isn’t unusual in Ontario. They can be tough to deal with in terms of match-ups so often promotions aren’t able to announce the full-card until the week of the event.

30. Bern says:

@ CM – Now that you say that the Windsor show also didn’t have several of match-ups released until very last. Why does it take longer to finalize matches in Ontario? Stricter medical and/or drug testing?

31. CM says:

I`m not sure the exact reasons but if I had to guess, it`d be because the commission wants all the medicals in before allowing an official announcement (even when they`ve ok`d a proposed match-up).

In one sense, it should prevent any potential bait & switches from promoters, but it sucks from a fan`s point of view because I don`t want to buy tickets until I know who`s on the card.

32. Bern says:

I’d rather get more of an idea who is on the card well ahead of time so I can make plans, and if they pull the bait and switch too much, I and others won’t be attending their next shows. They’re not a one time, get rich promotion that can benefit from that practice long-term. And from my perspective, I’d be only out part of 50 bucks if I was dissatisfied with the card when it was finalized.

Anyway, Nordine Taleb announced on his Twitter and Facebook that he is competing on this card. His opponent was not mentioned.

And you can be assured of the credibility of my statement that the Rickels-Amoussou fight won’t be on this card. Rickels said it himself on Twitter and the fight isn’t on Bellator’s official site. http://www.bellator.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205409198&DB_OEM_ID=23600

33. Bern says:

Here is the “full” card. Cosmo Alexandre is Nelson’s opponent. Taleb still hasn’t received his. Seguin isn’t listed. Of course neither is Amoussou-Rickels.

34. UPPDATE: 176lb catchweight fight – Nordine Taleb (7-1) vs. George Lockhart (10-4)

35. Jay says:

Kenny your an idiot, I hope you get knocked the fuck out,I dont think Fords ever been knocked out,
    I think we’ll see an improvement in his all around game after training at tristar, GOT to rep those canadian kids, LETS GO FORD!! STAY G’D UP