Canadian Featherweight Rankings – February 2012
It has been a rough time for the Canadian Featherweights since the last rankings period. The top two Canadians, Mark Hominick and Antonio Carvalho, both lost their last UFC fights and another four were not able to fight in the past five months. This division is lacking the depth it once had before many departed for Bantamweight – most recently Yves Jabouin and Mitch Gagnon. As a result, these rankings see one fighter backing into the top 10 with a loss and others moving up the rankings without wins.
All is not lost, Tristan Johnson, Will Romero, and Graham Spencer continued their winning ways.
On to the rankings!
Top Canadian Featherweights
1. Mark Hominick (20-10) – Previous Rank (1) – The Machine did not look himself at UFC 140, looking impatient and sloppy in his quick loss to the Korean Zombie. It was his first fight without the Coach and he wanted to win in his home province after falling to Jose Aldo in Toronto in his last outing. No doubt Hominick will get back on the right track against Yagin. Next Fight: vs Eddie Yagin at UFC 145 on April 21
2. Antonio Carvalho (13-5) – Previous Rank (2) – Pato looked great at the start of his fight with Felipe Arantes and even obtained the full mount position on his way to winning the first round. Perhaps the UFC jitters caught up with Tony or maybe it was being the enemy in the first Rio fight with the loudest UFC crowd ever, and he faded after the first and ultimately lost the decision. Expect bigger things from the former world #1 Featherweight. Next Fight: TBD
3. Tristan Johnson (7-2) – Previous Rank (7) – On the strength of two wins over Iron Tiger 145ers, Tristan Johnson vaults ahead four spots on these ranks. The Fitplus product squeaked by fellow top 10er Will Romero last June and then polished off Lyndon Whitlock in October to be 2 for 2 on Score Fighting Series shows. So why isn’t Tristan on SFS 3 next month? Next fight: TBD
4. Graham Spencer (8-1, 1 NC) – Previous Rank (6) – Spencer fought
Mike Adams Tim Jenson Shawn Albrecht in a rematch of their 2009 bout at BFL 13 and came away with his first finish since 2009. Spencer likes taking guys down and keeping them there and has moved up the ladder with his successful strategy. Next fight: vs TBD at BFL 15.
5. Adam Lorenz (5-2) – Previous Rank (4) – Lorenz has not fought since losing a quick one to Alvin Robinson at Aggression in 2011. Adam dropped one spot due to Johnson and Spencer passing him with wins. How about Lorenz vs Welsh when Evolution returns? Next Fight: TBD
6. William Romero (7-3) – Previous Rank (8)– A big KO of Stephane Bernadel at Score Fighting Series 2 improves Leon’s status on this list. Romero has righted his ship with a pair of victories after losing three in a row. Next up for Romero is another SFS fight in Hamilton although his opponent has yet to be named. Next fight: vs TBD at SFS 3.
7. Nick Driedger (5-1) – Previous Rank (9) – Everyone seems to be calling for Mike Adams vs Graham Spencer for Spencer’s first BFL title defence. How about Nick Driedger instead? Sadly, it probably will not happen as Nick is an AFC mainstay. If Driedger does not fight on the next AFC card or somewhere else by the time the next rankings happen, he will be dropped to the inactive list. Next fight: TBD
8. Rejean Groulx (5-1) – Previous Rank (10) – Groulx needs an MMA fight. He has not had one since his outstanding performance in a loss to Michel Gagnon. Like Driedger, Groulx moves up two spots with the departure of Jabouin and Gagnon and he will also be off this list due to inactivity if he does not fight in the near future. Next fight: TBD
9. Brad Duguay (9-5) – Previous Rank (NR) – Welcome to the Top 10, Brad Duguay. Thanks to the previously mentioned departures, Duguay makes his first appearance on the 145 ranks and with seven wins in his last eight fights, it is well deserved. Duguay defeated Justin Bourgeois for the Elite 1 MMA title in his last fight. (Unfortunately, Elite 1 pretty much stripped him of the title immediately and now have Bourgeois fighting Whitlock for the title). Next fight: TBD
10. Tim Wadsworth (5-1) – Previous Rank (NR) – Wadsworth backs into the Top 10 with a loss to Waylon Lowe at Instinct MMA 2. Wadsworth was dominated by the former UFC fighter in his first fight in a year and a half. Let’s chalk this loss off to ring rust as Wadsworth, when active, is usually the dominator, not the dominated. Those dominated in the past include #9 Brad Duguay, Dwight Sutherland, and Jeff Harrison. Next fight: TBD
Fighters who dropped out of Top 10 – Yves Jabouin (was #3, dropped to Bantamweight), Michel Gagnon (was #5 dropped to Bantamweight)
Close to the Top 10:
Lyndon Whitlock (5-2) Next fight: vs Cory Houston at SFS 3 on March 16
Greg Welsh (6-2)
Dwight Sutherland (5-3)
Seiji Sugiman-Marangos (5-1)
Matt Bagshaw (6-3)
Canadian Featherweight Rankings – September 2011
Canadian Featherweight Rankings – March 2011
Canadian Featherweight Rankings – July 2010
Canadian Featherweight Rankings – February 2010
Canadian Featherweight Rankings – October 2009