Canadian Rumour Mill – February 13

Tons of news and rumours today! Enough chit chat. Let’s get straight to it!

• OK, this is a biggie… Colin Daynes, an undefeated MMA fighter and 1996 Canadian Olympic wrestler, who had just won the Canadian Greco Olympic trials a couple months ago in Winnipeg in his attempt to make a comeback in the 2012 London Olympic games has been busted for multiple banned substances, including boldenone and drostanolone as well as two other banned substances. Canada Wrestling is already looking for another wrestler to replace Daynes for the team. Daynes acknowledged the infraction, waived his right to a hearing, and received a two year suspension, effectively ending his wrestling career.
  • Is MMA in Manitoba pretty close to dead? No CFC talk whatsoever, only 1 CFM show being thrown around… the most active show is Rumble on the Rez with their first show being last weekend and them throwing around a second show in the latter half of this year.
  • Former MFC and TFC LHW Champ Victor Valimaki will be trying to add the Aggression MMA LHW belt to his collection.
  • Rumours are swirling that Pride and EliteXC vet Travis “The Gladiator” Galbraith is looking to return to MMA this year. Maybe finally in 2012 we’ll get to see the long awaited Galbraith vs Valimaki at Aggression MMA.
  • Despite a brief dip into amateur competition last November by popular TKO-era Quebec Heavyweight Bob Landry, the 36 year-old says he’s 99 per cent certain he won’t be back. Between a full time job and two young daughters, there aren’t enough hours in the day for the Train to train at a level he feels is sufficient.
  • Bully Fight Night 3 will be on March 30
  • Lenny Wheeler vs Jeremy Henry is being thrown around for Indestructible MMA 1.
  • Eric Barrack is fighting on a boxing show in Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, just two weeks before he will be co-headlining Ringside 13. Let’s hope for Ringside’s sake that Barrack comes through unscathed.
  • If you’re wondering why Alex Garcia isn’t headlining Ringside 13, word is the Dominican Nightmare has suffered a serious knee injury while in wrestling practice and won’t be back in action for the foreseeable future. For now, he’s stuck training with a knee brace on.
  • At least here’s some good news for Ringside MMA, as 9-1 Lightweight Guillaume Delorenzi was finally back training MMA at Tristar for the first time Saturday after getting the OK from his doctor. Out of action since June 2010 due to injury, we should see ‘Il Toro’ back by late summer/early autumn if all goes well, though there’s an outside chance he’ll be ready in time for Ringside 14 on May 25.
  • Prestige FC 4 will return on May 18th.
  • The Unified/KOTC Canada Super Show will be held at the Crystal Centre in Grande Prairie and most likely be on April 28th. Look for the Machan brothers (Ryan and Josh) as well as Layne McTaggert to be on the Grande Prairie combo show (along with the already mentioned Briere).
  • I’m hearing Remi Morvan will face Michael Imperato at 125 lbs Apr 21 at Freedom Fights.
  • Martin ‘Stress’ Desilets’ return to competition was temporarily put on hold after he had his front teeth broken in an accident at his job as an swimming pool installer. Now back in training, Desilets is looking to be back in the not too distant future.
  • Both Andrew Buckland and Graham Spencer will be defending their BFL straps on April 27 in Nanaimo. Also look for Tyler Jackson vs Nick Hinchliffe.
  • If all goes smoothly for Martin Grandmont in his Instinct 3 bout against Brandon Thatch in late March, he could finally get his fight with the ‘New York Badass’ Phil Baroni on May 5 at Instinct 4 (first reported by MMANouvelles.com). Either way, it will be a semi-voiceless Grandmont who shows up. A late first round punch to the throat against Pete Spratt has left the ‘Hammer’ with a paralyzed vocal cord. No word yet on whether the damage is permanent, Dave Manson style.
  • Almost two years out from his last fight, a disappointing loss to John Fraser, the desire to compete seems to be returning for Thierry Quenneville. As he’s never stopped training, the Surgeon could be ready to go at any time if the right offer came along. Due to his French PPV commentating for Instinct MMA, it’s likely that’s where he’d end up if he returns.
  • Also, is the new rule in Edmonton that you’re allowed to show up between 45 minutes to an hour late for weigh ins?

79 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – February 13 ”

Was it Sean Quinn?!?!?!?

2. Demitri (trev) says:

terribly classless to disrespect Sandy that way

3. Dan chambers says:

Sandy is one of the best guys I have met in the last 6 years I have been fighting….. Don’t try and discredit his win by some bullshit remark like that. He works hard and trains many good fighters ….. Just a brutal thing to say

4. Sean Quinn says:

I’ll be back in there…someday.
    Meanwhile, I wonder if Sandy is the source and he ratted himself out?
    Or maybe it was Elvis.

5. I removed the three comments as they piss me off. Don’t come on the site and slander someone with zero accountability. The dead giveaway that you are full of shit is when you use two names to comment on the same article to look like you have support.

Folks…I haven’t had the time to view all comments lately, please email news@topmmanews.com or send me a note on Facebook if there is ‘over the line’ comments on here.

I was a table away from cage side at the fight. Unless Sandy is an academy award winning actor, I don’t think he and Butterbean could have pulled this off.

I was wondering what Bowman was doing with the spinning back kick to start things off, when I thought Sandy would stand on the outside, use jabs and leg kicks and try to outpoint or tire out Butterbean. But I soon realized Sandy lives and breathes Tae Kwan Do and was going to live and die with it in the cage and give his town the fight they paid to see.

That head kick absolutely landed, was loud, and was awesome. Saw the Bean after and his head looked like a bat hit him. Talked with him about the difference between this fight and the one he had with Barrack at Instinct and how he respected Sandy for standing instead of running away like Barrack did.

After the win, I also saw Sandy absolutely pumped more than any other fighter I have seen and I don’t think that level of adrenaline can be manufactured.

Great post!

Boom. Keith don’t play like that.

Btw its Tae KwOn Do. :)

9. BigBoi says:

Shut up Robin, no one cares what you think.

Taekwan-Do is just as acceptable as saying poshintun instead of pushintung.

Biggie

10. I don’t spell check my rants.
    I should or maybe some grammar/tae kwon do enthusiast from Bowman’s Tae Kwon Do may head kick me.

11. Gunner says:

no worries there Keith they just pretend head kick at Bowmans and then pay you money so sign me up i dont wanna get kicked and i wanna get paid

12. Chris Ladouceur says:

Funny people are taking shots at Sandy talking about a fight that happened a while ago and noone has said anything about Colin Daynes or Travis Gailbraith.

13. Chris Ladouceur says:

NOT that Sandy anit big dael in all !! I hope I can amke it down to Prestige 4

14. Tank Engine says:

No disrespect Keith but its possible. The fact that you only let people tell one side of the story because you like the guy is pretty irresponsible. I dont find it far fetched at all that this happened with Sandy Bowman vs Butterbean.

15. Gunner says:

I dont find it far fetched that a guy beleiveing in fairy tales who calls himself TANK ENGINE just posted the above,

thats it i am now
    Dean “i love Hirschs tomatoes” Panas
    number one supporter for name verification

16. Jerobe says:

Anyone know where Travis Galbraith is training these days?

Tank guy.

I’ve been kicked in the face. I’ve kicked guys in the face.

I’ve gently sparring-kicked guys in the face. They’ve done it to me.

Sandy Bowman almost kicked Butterbean’s head off.

There’s some people here who know the sport to enough of a degree that they know a brutal head kick when they see one.

It is so far from cool to accuse a man of a work. So far from cool. Its just the lowest.

Especially when its such a definitive ko.

Keith, wanna post that ko?
    It was a thing of beauty, and it was a fantastic thing to watch that man get such a great moment in his home town.

BOOM

Such a beautiful knock out.

Whatever troll was attempting to question Bowman’s win in hopes of raising doubt just got the opposite effect.

There is no doubt when you see that!

19. Dean Panas says:

The fact that anyone is questioning Sandy’s name is a joke. I don’t know him well, but from what I have heard from others he is a stand up guy.

And yes Nathan “Cap” Gunn, I do love Jake’s tomatoes! He makes great salsa with them.

I was on the flight out of Ft Mac with Butterbean, he had a few bruises on his face. Was still an awesome dude though to everyone at the airport.

21. Jamon says:

I went back and had a look butter ban took the kick then said
    , I’m 45 I’m gonna lay here for a while and enjoy my trip to sunny Alberta

If fat men are conscious when they fall they put their arms out lol

23. nick penner says:

That’s great news that Travis is back. The guy is one of the most talented fighters I have ever trained with.

24. Joe Doerksen says:

I watched the fight. Never seen it before and didn’t really care if it was a work or not.

My first impression is that Butterbean thought it was gonna be a body kick and took it in the face. While watching, I was surprised it was a head kick. Looked like he was going for the body. So that part is believable, in my opinion.

The elbows on the ground didn’t look devastating, but they were landing. It looked like he was more concerned with controlling position than doing damage, but elbows don’t need a lot of force to do damage. Either way, the blood leaking from Butterbean’s head after the fight didn’t look fake.

So I’m gonna vote the fight was real.

25. Donald Duck says:

I don’t know who this Joseph Doerksen is so I will reserve judgement until someone with more name recognition steps forward to provide support.

Donnie

26. Gunner says:

At least Joe Doerkson legitimatly got a drink on with me on a few occasions …. so i believe his judgement

Mr Duck you are still on my S*@t list as you apparently were close enough stalking me at some point to smell my cologne but yet to shy to reveal yourself and create a bar tab with me

27. Donald Duck says:

I wasn’t wearing my rinestoned out True Religion jeans, Affliction shirt and white pumas. Plus I didn’t have a mohawk or thick silver chain. You can understand why I wouldn’t want to talk to you.

28. Gunner says:

How did you hear “stuff” if it was behind closed doors?

People has been saying a lot of shit lately i hate this “people” person

Are you like really Griffin ? like THE ANDY GRIFFIN