Nick Penner on Top MMA Radio

Nick Penner (Photo by Jason Bouwmeester)

The UFC’s Nick Penner joins Top MMA Radio to discuss his upcoming bout with Anthony Perosh at UFC on FX 2 in Sydney, Australia this March.  Nick discusses how he thinks the fight will go and his upcoming training at ATT in Florida for the bout.

The conversation then changes to his previous contract situation with the MFC.  Nick details the contract he signed and how Mark Pavelich claimed he was still on contract to the MFC when he signed with the UFC.  Penner talks about how he got out of the MFC deal and how he believes the contract was modified after he signed it.  Penner then advises fighters on how they should deal with contracts.

Check it out by pressing play:

or download the file by right clicking and Save As: Episode 48 – Nick Penner.

Now you can subscribe to Top MMA Radio now via iTunes. Go to the iTunes store and search for topmmanews.

MMA Betting

19 Responses to “ Nick Penner on Top MMA Radio ”

1. peter puck says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 4 Thumb down 17

2. peter puck says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 1 Thumb down 14

3. Demitri (trev) says:

Good warning to all the young fighters. Maybe mark will think second now when he is about to screw someone over.

Peterpuck, Marks events are getting worse and worse. Penner was right about that one, not sure what you are seeing. I missed this Fridays event though but I’m assuming it was the same as the last few. Speaks for itself when local fighters don’t even want to sign with an organization that’s on hdnet.

Good luck against perosh, you deserve the UFC shot penner!

4. Jake says:

Just wanted to say thanks to Dean for the kinds words and shout out. I’m glad I can help someone who never quite gets the credit they deserve. There’s a LOT of people in this business that are very behind the scenes and do it quietly while other glory hounds try to thrust themselves in the spotlight. I was definitely one of those people.

I think over this last year, I have came to terms with a lot of things. My entire time spent in the MMA game, I’ve come to some realizations…that you’re only as good as the reputation you have and the relationships you maintain. I’ve had to reassess a lot when it came to managing fighters and making deals. I felt like I lost sight of what it was all about. Having my picture taken with fighters at after parties or making sure people knew that I was putting together big deals was huge to me. Now, just hearing someone give me a shout out or seeing one of my fighters with his hand raised in the cage is enough to put a smile on my face. For as much as Jerry Maguire was cliche…he was right: The key to this job is personal relationships. FEWER CLIENTS. LESS MONEY.

So if my reputation is still intact after 10 years and I can still make my boys happy…I’m glad I can do that. But other than that…I’ve lost my ability to bullshit.

Sorry for the long drivel…just wanted to explain why Dean’s shout out meant so much to me.

J.

5. Luke says:

Why train at ATT? Cardinals gym cant get job done?

6. Edmonton MMA says:

Good interview, best of luck Penner

Luke says:
    January 29, 2012 at 7:34 pm (Edit)
    Why train at ATT? Cardinals gym cant get job done?

Ricardo Liborio, Howard Davis Jr, Jorge Masvidal, Thiago Alves, Thiago Silva, Tyron Woodley, Hector Lombard, Jason High, Brian Bowles, Cole Miller, Mark Hunt, Jeff Monson, Ben Saunders, Douglas Lima, Nathan Coy, Wilson Gouveia, Alessio Sakara, Yves Edwards, Dan Hornbuckle… should I keep going?

8. Jimbo says:

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated... Thumb up 1 Thumb down 13

9. RAPECHOKE says:

He trains at ATT since they have better sparring partners you f__king idiot.

10. Edmonton MMA says:

I dont know Penner well but I believe in all interviews he always gives a lot of praise to Cardinals and Frank lees.

But ATT, not only did Cody Rempel post about all the sparring partners. Take a look at who there coaches are. In one building he has howard davis Jr, Ricardo Liborio, Vitelmo Katel Kubis
    and apparently a real good wrestling coach (dont know him)

He doesnt have to go from one place to another, wasting time during his day. He can be set there and focused all day without anything to worry about. That, and…even if Cardinals and Frank Lees were the best in the world at what they do. Dont you think its smart for him to see if any other guys have good tricks or tips to get better?

So, good effort trying to start shit. jack ass

11. mike kent says:

Nick penner is sick . He is a scary heavy weight at 205 I think he can go to the top .

12. Shoe tying 101 says:

I think the wrestling coach is George the animal Steele. That guy is an animal. In all seriousness I’ve never wished anyone more success than I do for nick Penner.

13. Jimbo says:

He trains at ATT because Cardinals cannot get the job done. If you leave your camp to train else where it means you do not have confidence in your camp. No way around that fact.

14. cardinal says:

lol penners fighting in the ufc you dummy ! why would i risk keeping penner here to train with just me anda couple of guys when we can send him where he can get better training with world class fighters? if he didnt have that option we would get the job done. usually i dont post back to keyboard wannabes like you…fuckin idiot!

15. david letourneau says:

I strongly disagree with that statement that because you go else where to trains means your camp cannot get the job done. People get used to training with the same people and figure out each others games and begin to stalemate because of it. All good fighters bring in new guys go to differentcamps and use different coaches to help push them selves, every fightis different and the needs of fighters change depending on who they are facing so changing things up makes perfect sense.

16. J James says:

Mfc packed lol sell out yes but when you put 600 seats in a barm wow great job the line for the bathroom at the aggression show will have more people then the last MFC.

17. cardinal says:

frank lees and cardinal will be cornering penner in austrailia ufc

18. Dean Panas says:

I’ve restrained myself from posting on this thread because I said enough in the interview. I would like to thank everyone for the positive feedback I have received since it was posted on the site.

The heat that Kyle Cardinal has received is absolute bullshit!! Nick has very limited internet access while he is in Florida, if he had been following what has been posted on here I know he would stand up for Cardinal Sports Gym and his other traners and teammates at Frank Lee’s, Hayabusa, and SVPT.

Nick got a great opportunity to go and train at ATT. It was something that was talked over with all of Nick’s trainers in Edmonton and everyone was behind nick in supporting him to go to ATT. The biggest reason for Nick to head to Florida was the timing of the fight. With Valimaki, Chemelli, and Harris all fighting on the Aggression card they would not be able to work hard with Nick when he needed it the most. Kyle Cardinal blew his knee out and Hague is also hurt so there was very few options for Nick as far as training partners in Edmonton. Kykle was the ideal training partner for Nick to get ready for this fight.

Since he arrived in Florida, Nick has had the chance to train with, and learn from, some of the best in the business. He has had his ass handed to him on a daily basis and that is exactly what he needed going into this fight.

MMA is a team sport. Fighters do not get to the top without having a good team behind them. Nick Penner is lucky to have people like Kyle Cardinal in his corner.

19. cardinal says:

well……there you go lol thanks deano!