UFC 142 Conference Call Notes
On the call was UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo, undefeated title challenger Chad Mendes, former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Vitor Belfort, and Anthony “Rumble” Johnson.
– Not worried about the main event happening at approximately 3:30 AM local time.
– Excited to be wearing a Flamengo jersey during his walkout. Says it is an honour but he is thinking about the fight.
– Said that Gray Maynard really helped everyone out at Nova Uniao.
– Said that “nobody is perfect” and “everyone has holes in their game, including myself”.
– Considered a move to 155 a lot but final decision is up to his coaches.
– Calls Brazil the birthplace of MMA.
– Excited to go there and “beat the champion”.
– Asked about Maynard’s comments about Mendes not being ready for a title shot; said Maynard just saying that because he trains with Aldo.
– “He has great takedown defence but my type of shot is a ‘blast-you-off-your-feet’ type of shot”.
– “It’s just awesome” (talking about fighting for the title in Brazil after just 11 fights).
– Said he loves fighting and training with friends and travelling the world.
– Stated that there are “no holes” in his or Jose’s game.
– Said that the pressure is on Jose because he is fighting at home and he has the belt.
– Happy to be a part of the past, present and future of the UFC and MMA.
– Asked about his comments in the past about MMA surpassing soccer in Brazil, “it will overtake every sport in the world”; said it’s happening right now.
– Asked about his favourite fight in UFC history and said “there are so many”; then gave Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone credit for one of the best fights ever.
– Shows his respect for everyone in the call and says “we are going to make history”.
– “It is an honour to fight in Brazil. I don’t mind fighting in anyone’s backyard, I am a fighter and the Octagon is the Octagon anywhere it is in the world.”
– Excited for the opportunity to fight Vitor.
– He is currently at 215 pounds; says “weight will come off no problem”.
– “Right now Middleweight is where I am.”
– Eventually even said “Middleweight is my home. I’m not going anywhere”.
– Feels “1000 times better”; so far “done with Welterweight”.
– Not intimidating but motivating to fight Vitor.