AFC 7 Quick Results – Medler, Bergen, Nolan Stay Unbeaten

Eric Wolaniuk is in Victoria for Armageddon Fighting Championship 7. Here are the quick results:

Pro MMA
Derek Medler submits Brian Grimshaw by Guillotine Choke in Round 1
Karl Bergen submits Dave Logan by Kimura in Round 1
Peter Nolan submits Paul Cheng by Arm Triangle in Round 1, 4:15
Nathan Swayze defeats Brad Robinson by Unanimous Decision (30-27 x 3)
Matt Trudeau defeats Tristan Connelly by TKO (Retirement due to Shoulder Injury) in Round 2, 5:00

Amateur MMA
Tyler Dolby submits Shane Jung by Rear Naked Choke in Round 1
Jean Marc de Groot submits James Pratt by Arm Bar in Round 2
Craig McLean defeats Blake McVittie by Unanimous Decision
Dustin Porter defeats Sanjeev Sharma by Unanimous Decision (30-27 x 3)
Johnny Williams submits  Guy Gauthier by Rear Naked Choke in Round 3, 1:10
Dillon Brown defeats Ron Pierce by Unanimous Decision (29-28 x 2, 30-25)
Ty Daggis defeats Joel Conway by TKO in Round 2, 1:21

12 Responses to “ AFC 7 Quick Results – Medler, Bergen, Nolan Stay Unbeaten ”

1. Nolan opened Cheng up early with an elbow.

2. Time to see Munduruca vs Nolan in the cage!

3. Medler dominated.

4. Jamie Locke says:

Great night of fights! I was skeptical about the amateur fights, but they all delivered!

Eric will be providing a full run down tomorrow so I won’t steal his thinder but here’s some wuick thoughts on the night.

Ty Daggis looked good and had a much better cardio showing than the last time I saw him. Good win for him.

Dillon is a beast, he controlled that fight from the bell. This kid has a long career in mma ahead of him. He actually beat Ty Daggis at their last outing winning the ISKA Amateur MMA Title.

Results are wrong for the Johnny “Two Feathers” fight, it’s the other way around. I’ve seen Johnny and his brother both kickboxing over the past two years. Johnny is a s tough as nails and always exciting to watch. It was fun to see him get the sub victory!

Big props to Dustin Porter for his win over Sanjeev. Dustin looked strong as hell in there and controlled the fight with tre dominant wrestling from the openning bell. Sanjeev fighting was the story of the night, his father was killed in a crazy freak car accident a few weeks back and training for this fight helped him keep his head screwed on. Tough loss for Sanjeev but I’m sure we’ll see him back in there.

Blake McVittie is another always exciting fighter, the guys at MET are all go big or go home style fighters and they are fun to watch. Craig kept the fight close and controlled Blake throughout in a dominant top position. There were two times Blake tried for an arm bar but was stuffed both attempts. Solid win for Craig, excellent top game.

“The Flying Tomatoe” Jean Marc had the arena on it’s feet. He’s a hot prospect for sure! I’ve seen this guy in grappling tourneys (once broke a guys arm with a flying arm bar) I’ve seen him at kickboxing tourneys (slugging with much bigger dudes) and tonight I saw him at mma for the first time. He had the crowd the second he walked in and kept them cheering throught the fight. His transition into this armbar was sweet, I’m sure the fight will be on youtube soon and everyone should take a look at this kid because he’ll be a crazy 125er in the future!

Nothing really special about the Tyler and Shane fight, it was over quick.

Trudeau vs Connely was looking like it was going to be another war (Tristan has put on a couple wars) but then he got hurt. I’m not sure how but I’m sure Eric will explain tomorrow.

Props to Nathan Swayze for his decision victory over my client Brad Robinson. It was a solid three rounds with some good back and forth action. Nathan was the clear aggressor throughout and deserved his UD. I am sure Brad took alot away from this experience.

Peter Nolan crazy smashed Cheng, very fun to watch and there was tonne of blood….. A little piece of Cheng will remain with that cage forever. Good win for Nolan, who’s next?

Poor Dave Logan didn’t have a cornerman tonight so I stepped in to help the guy out. I was surprised to see that he was a great listener, he did exactly what we asked of him fro outside the cage, but obviiously “The Viking” Karl Bergen is on a much better level. Good finish for Bergen, am sure we will see him step the competition back up in his next outing. It’s hard for a promotion to let a guy like Karl go without a fight after a late injury cancellation, the guy has alot of fans and sells a shitload of tickets, enter Dave Logan and the story of his career.

Derek Medler needs to be ranked period! I’m excited to see who’s next for him, and I’m sure it will be for a belt if it’s with AFC (all 7 of his fights were wins with the AFC). Very awesome performance again tonight over a very big threat in Grimshaw!

I’ll post more about the event I’m sure on Eric’s run down tomorrow. I had a great time at the show as usual. I hope AFC keeps the cards coming, as UFC is not planning on returning to Vancouver this year.

Good stuff Jamie, thanks

6. Mike Davis says:

I want to see more of Derek Medler

Peter Nolan is a bad ass

8. ccanadx says:

great show, lots of folks in stand, afc is a class act

9. mymmaopinion says:

I’m curious if anyone has any insight to offer into the reason why AFC had amateur fights on the card this time, anyone?

10. Anonymous says:

Fights were amazing! Nolan, Bergen and Medler were all impressive wins! Would be nice to see Nolan with a couple more wins fighting Drysdale for the Light Heavyweight strap! Both fighters have a long list of grappling accolades. AFC has a couple good Light Heavys! Perhaps next AFC or AMMA will have Bergen vs Mike Hill? Lastly would be sick to Medler’s next fight be a top ten Canadian fighter in either AMMA, Instinct, Wreck and or Ringside?

11. Jamie Locke says:

I believe AFC had amateurs on this card to follow suite with what’s becoming the quick standard across the board.

Amateur opportunities are great for new fighters to get their feet wet and compete in front of a crowd/ make sure the sport is right for them.

It’s a good idea for professional promotions to bring up their own amateur personalities instead of taking them from others.

Battlefield is an excelletn example of how successful a promotion can be bringing up amateurs and seeing them turn pro, it also allows the fans to follow the guys from the ground up.

So, I believe AFC is just following in line with the way the sport is going, bring up the amateurs in your own organization.

+ you can’t argue with the money they save on not having to pay a purse for over half the card.

I was skeptical of how this would be with the amateurs, as I have seen a lot of flop amateur fights, poor matchmaking and generally low quality shows. Battlefield has set the standard high with regards to how an amateur show should look production wise and all the other low production shows are now going to far fall into the sahdows. AFC started with high quality professional production, so I think it was very easy for them to put these fights on the card. I was very impressed with the matches, all were fair and they were all competitive, and most importantly they were all entertaining (which is a worry sometimes with little known amateurs). I think the AFC fans last night appreciated the ammy’s and what they brought to the show, I sure did.

Also, like I said, Jean Marc was the only fighter to have the entire crowd standing from start to finish. Brown, Porter, Williams and Jean Marc are all talented exciting and entertaining amateurs that I am sure evryone who saw them last night can’t wait to see again.

12. beefstorm says:

@ jamie locke thanks for the compliment MET guys do go big or go home just sucks we been goin home lately… I think the afc is a great organization that takes care of its fighters which is a rare. Medler vs __________ he is ready for any welter weight in canada other than maybe that frenchman… looked awesome great top control and perfect switch to the sub!!! bergen needs to step it up in competition but not his fault with opponent gettin injured. All the ammy fights were well contested and to get these guy’s experience is a big plus for the growth of the sport!!! Next AFC needs something hmmm maybe some BEEF??? lol GREAT NIGHT OF FIGHTS!!!