Hard Knocks 16 Estevan Results

Here are the results from the Hard Knocks all amateur event that happened in Estevan, Saskatchewan on October 22.

265: Devon Smith defeats Wade Baldwin by KO in Round 1, 0:08
265: Derek Daku defeats Justin Schmit by TKO (Strikes) in Round 1, 1:28
145: Keith MacDuff submits Rod Busler by Verbal Tap due to Strikes in Round 2, 1:29
175: Kurt Bailey defeats Evander Masukapoe by Unanimous Decision
155: David Swanson submits Angus Deschambeault by Side Choke in Round 2, 0:41
135: Leo Shoji submits Travis Favel by Verbal Tap due to Strikes in Round 1, 3:00
205: Ryan Feere submits Craig Gaudry by Rear Naked Choke in Round 1, 1:13
145: Zamir Safi submits Dillon Adam by Verbal Tap due to Strikes in Round 2, 3:00
145: Andy Jack submits Ryan O’Kurly by Rear Naked Choke in Round 2, 0:53
210: Derek Parker defeats Felix Jimenez by TKO (Strikes) in Round 2, 2:25

13 Responses to “ Hard Knocks 16 Estevan Results ”

1. Sean Quinn says:

Thats alot of verbal taps. Probably from a lot of guys that had no business being in there.

2. Derek Daku says:

What exactly is that comment supposed to mean sean????? Were u Even at this card…

3. BigBoi says:

Well Derek,

Multiple verbal tap outs on a card can tell me a number of things as a casual observer of MMA:

1. The fighters were unfamiliar with the rules to a point that they yelled out instead of tapped out due to strikes.

2. The fighters were ‘green’ enough that they were surprised when they were on the ground taking punches (this supposes the fighters didn’t verbally submit during a standing exchange).

3. The ref in the ring was ‘green’ enough that he/she stepped in to stop the fight during a fighter ‘making noises’ on the ground.

4. The ref in the ring that night wasn’t paying attention during the fight which led to missed the first tap outs from the fighters which led to fighters verbalizing a desire for the fight to end.

5. The ref in the ring wasn’t doing his/her job and didn’t stop the fight sooner which led to an opponent being significantly outclassed and a subsequent verbal tap out.

All in all a fighter ‘verbally tapping to strikes’ sends a message that one of the three people in the cage was not significantly experienced enough to be there.

Hope this helps.

4. Sean Quinn says:

It means exactly what you think it means. Congratulations on having the fourth longest lasting fight at 1:28 seconds.
    And no, I want there.

5. jeffrey wilson says:

Have to agree 100% with Mr. Quinn and Big Boi.

These cards are a joke: Obviously problems with the fighters, and or the officiating, as was previously mentioned.

Might as well just have these things in a back yard, like the recent Tank Abott / Scott Ferozzo fight. You can BBQ a steak while you are at it, and roast some smores on an open campfire, and in between that, you can watch a fight.

Is this where MMA has seriously evolved to? Another promoter just throwing bodies on a card to make a quick buck.

6. Derek Daku says:

good points, Sean I know being an elite fighter as yourself that you would have never encountered a short fight in your mma career but I will tell you a little story, I have been trying to get on a card for the past 2 yrs and none of your associates have been able to do so, if you are not within the inner circle of these people it makes it very tough for anyone to get experience in the cage. You might not agree and I and not trying to raise shit but hard knocks ran one one the best amateur events I have ever been to and I been to all around this area, refs were fine, drs checkout before and after all paperwork in order so how do you make these comments when you werent even there, 3100 people in attendance and not a complaint from anyone, how is that bad for the sport? big boi had good points, jeffrey , get your head outta your ass, guys like you are bad for the sport . do you even fight? your a joke,

7. Sean Quinn says:

There is nothing wrong with a short fight, they happen. People get caught, no biggie. An entire card of short fights is a different story. It tells me that there was likely no real matchmaking taken into consideration. A pile of verbal tapouts tells me another thing. Which BigBoi and Jeff Wilson outlined very well.

Again, congrats.
    p.s If you have been trying for 2 years to get an amateur fight, i think you are doing something wrong.

8. BigBoi says:

Hey Derek, B to the Big here,

Just wanted to ask you a couple of questions before I verbally eviscerate your post….

– You say you’ve been trying to get on a card for two years now. How long have you been training in total?

– Which other cards have you tried to get onto?

– I remember the ‘darker ages’ of MMA and I have driven many hours to find a fight back in the day. How come you didn’t try to get onto a fight card elsewhere?

– You say everything was done properly. How do you know? What is your previous experience with fight cards? (Note: I’m not being a dick I’m just curious).

9. Graham Weenk says:

Derek, where are u training? sometimes shit happens and fight fall thru and stuff, but is there no coach or manager in your camp that can find you a fight?

Like Sean said, something is wrong if you cannot get an amateur fight in 2yrs of trying… unless its been your own injuries or something keeping you out of action.

10. Derek Daku says:

when did u become such a hater sean, u of all people should remember all the umc events 2 of the last I recall not one fight went the distance, we could argue all night long but this is a pissing contest because a new promoter moved in on someone elses so called territory and is doing a better job than the other two ever did , so lets just agree to disagree . we each have our oppinions. but to cut down an event just by the write up of results and not actually being there is being totally ignorant.. big boi, i have also drivin many miles but was informed that if I fought for another organization I would be black listed or “suspended ” from fighting with the two local promoters. am I right sean? well I know I am, thus not wanting eliminate the ability to fight locally that is why It has taken so long to get a fight…. Graham it was never because I got injured that fight was cancelled, it was opponents injuries and backing out with no backups, Hard knocks has a vast reserve of fighters and has these backups for events because i know injuries happen. do 4 prefight camps and get calcelled every time. its frikin depressing, thats why Im standing up for this promoter.. its working for me and if all 3 of you were in my shoes u would do the same..

11. Sean Quinn says:

Derek, I think you are misunderstanding me. I am not a hater at all. I know for a fact that Hard Knocks has put on some good shows, I’ve seen them. That is not my argument. And you are absolutely right, the UMC put out a ton of shit shows because they didn’t give a fuck who was in the cage. They just put in guys that would go in and swing for a few seconds and make the crowd believe this is what mma is all about.

Graham’s last post sums up what I was getting at when I said that you are doing something wrong. You need to get a coach, make the right contacts, get a manager, pursue, pursue, pursue and train, train,train. Believe me, living in the SK makes all of that more difficult. But it’s definitely doable. I can be contacted on Facebook for help, tips or advice. So can Graham, Adam Lorenz, Troy Scheer. If you want something you have to work at it. Don’t just cop out or cut corners.

Sorry for kinda going off topic, but I’m not a hater. I call shit as I see it.

12. Derek Daku says:

got ya good point… its all good… thanks for the input got me thinking lol

13. Jim k says:

Hi Mr.Daku, the fights were awesome, and ran very well. You were great and my hats off to you showing how us a litter older fellows can still do it. I am waiting for the next ones here and I tell all my friends how good these were and there comming again so they better go. And it sure would be nice to get a pic of the mma estevan girls :)