Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem Announced

Dana White recently announced through an interview with the LA Times the superfight every fan has been waiting for – Brock Lesnar will face off against Alistair Overeem in a five round number one contender bout on December 30.

Fans and pundits alike have been speculating for weeks on the timing of Brock’s eventual return and the future of Alistair Overeem’s MMA career. Well, now we can all start speculating on who will win and why because that nut has been officially cracked. The downside to the deal is that Alistair confirmed in an interview with Ariel Helwani that he has indeed signed an exclusive contract with the UFC forgoing the former cross promotional freedom he had written into his now expired Strikeforce contract.

The only question remaining is why Overeem felt compelled yesterday to tweet, “The Swedish website that posted that I’m on my way to Vegas to sign the UFC contract is WRONG!”

14 Responses to “ Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem Announced ”

Lesnar is going to lose again.

2. trent says:

ya i cant see how Lesner wins this fight but i sure am going to be stoked to watch the whole thing play out!

3. BigBoi says:

Brock is a wild card. He should have by now gotten over his fear of being hit by now and should be running people over with his wrestling.

Fuck I love Brock, the guy is a super bad ass!

No matter what one may think of his “attitude/persona”, he is super talented and fights whomever. The guy has had this serious medical condition two times and what does he do he comes back to fight the most dangerous and talented guys.

A true MMA champ!

I hope Brock Lesnar wins!

6. I agree. The guy just fights the best every time out.

7. Edmonton MMA says:

Agree with big boi. Poor management in my eyes, all these layoffs for medical reasons and comes back and fights the biggest badass’s. Chalk up another loss, the guys got the heart of a warrior, hopefully he is doing something to improve his stand up

8. booboo says:

brock gonna run all over him , if the strikeforce champ fights like the last time he was in the cage against a VERY OVER RATED FIGHTER! ( WHAT A BORING ASS FIGHT ) HOPEFULLY LESNER WILL MAKE IT EXCITING LIKE ALWAYS !

The poor guy had like 30 miles of intestine removed.

Just the fact that he’s back fighting is amazing.

10. Kris says:

Lesnars gonna beat him. I like Overeem but it ain’t happening.

11. Cody Bargholz says:

I’m picking Overeem for right now. This is a tough fight to call because Overeem has literally never faced a pure wrestler like Lesnar. Maybe Overeem really can defend Brock’s takedown attempts. Alistair is talking about training in California for this fight. I think if he wants to win he should train wrestling with Carwin for the next four months instead.

12. Bigtoe says:

Cody – Carwin and Overeem may have a future date so I doubt that will happen. but I agree, he needs to sharpen up his take down defence and wrestling. If he does this, I think Brock is in for a world of hurt.

13. Cody Bargholz says:

Bigtoe – I’m sure you’re right. Carwin vs. Overeem would be an awesome big money fight so it doesn’t make sense for them to train together.

Someone fully above Brock’s wrestling level like Rulon Gardner would be an even better choice.

Man, I really hope injuries don’t prevent this fight from happening.

14. Pat G says:

Wow, I like this fight. You gotta credit Brock, he’s taking a tough fight right off of surgery, and this could be a bad matchup for him.

Ground/Grappling advantage: Brock, though Overeem has good TDD.
    Striking: pretty clear who takes this.
    Cardio: Brock by far. He can last, Overeem doesn’t have good cardio.

Either Overeem blitzes him in the first, or Lesnar outlasts him and KO’s him with GNP. I can’t wait for this fight.