Canadian Rumour Mill – August 22

What does the Gossip Queen have for you this week?

Congrats to Saskatchewan’s Mitch Clarke on making it to the big show!

• Looks like the Haggis Basher John Fraser will battle it out with ex-UFCer Alvin Robinson at 145lbs on Score Fighting Series.
  • Brandon MacArthur will be stepping into the “Torture Chamber” at Rumble in the Cage and slugging it out with Dan Chambers.
  • Edmonton commission Tsar, Pat Reid, recently presented the ABC with a study on weight cutting that has been in the works for the last few years. I’d like to get my hands on that.
  • Iron Tiger stand out Will Romero will be on the September 10th Canadian Fighting Championship show. It won’t be in MMA though.  Romero will bang with Mark Durant in one of the featured Muay Thai contests.
  • Also the brother of Anthony “Showtime” Pettis, Sergio Pettis, will make his pro MMA debut against Kyle Vivian on the September CFC show.
  • Look for Nick Denis to get back in the mix and fight Nick Mamalis on WRECK MMA. Hopefully this happens, it’s been a long time since the Ninja of Love has competed.
  • Big John McCarthy protégé, Jerin Valel is going international and travelling to Shanghai, China. Valel will be officiating on the Ranik Ultimate Fighting Federation (RUFF) show.
  • Welcome to the world of unified rules Manitoba. Elbows are now allowed in Manitoba.
  • John Alessio is dropping to 155lbs. Watch out Lightweights!!!
  • What is/was Hope Fight Productions looks to be returning in either mid November or January. Small town hockey is causing venue availability problems.
  • This should be a fun one and is more for fans of Top MMA News.   Allen Hope vs Markhaile “Showtime” Wedderburn are scrapping at Prestige FC 3, October 21st.
  • Sounds like Chuck Liddell will sign a big sponsorship deal with Canadian fightwear apparel company Headrush.

NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute, email:

25 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – August 22 ”

Please tell me the weight for the Showtime fight. I’m bored…

2. Cj Saftic says:

Alessio at lightweight?! Thats awesome, depending on how he handles the cut he could have some great success at 155

Middleweight (185) for Wedderburn vs Hope

4. Le Roi says:

Robinson will be a large feather weight. Might be too much for Fraser.

thought he was 135 after reading the Bantamweight poll on here.

Tough fight for Fraser. Good step up in challenge though.

6. mike kent says:

not really a rumour but i finally got a out of town fight so you guys wont have to listen to me bitch for a while atleast ! Me VS. Josh Powell was just added to the september 2nd card in Montreal !

Good stuff man, good fight.

8. Blayd cooper says:

Fraser is a big 45er and huge 35er from what ive seen
    So i doubt that being relevent in this fight. I def am
    Getting tickets asap for that one!!!

9. Mort says:

Lookin forward to Fraser doin some more haggis bashing!

Tough one for John but he can win and then he’s where he wants to be…. knockin on the big door

11. Congrats to Jerin for his UFC debut and now his China trip.

Fraser/Robinson will be entertaining. I am surprised John would not take his big step up fight at 135.

12. john doe says:

how is kyle vivian still getting fights?

13. Anonymous says:

Alessio at 155? Also MacArthur vs Chambers aren’t they training partners?

14. Derek LeBlanc says:

Alessio at 155. Wouldn’t want to be the person donating my body for that fight although I know dam well I can never get that low in weight. Mike it is not bitching if you want to take the step up to fighting the big boys across the country. I am glad for you and that you can get the oppertunity to get that chance

15. Dan chambers says:

Brandon and I have trained together from time to time an I consider him a friend and he’s a great guy, I had a couple guys back out for this fight now and we couldnt find anyone to take it and he jumped at it. He’s a banger and is always ready to go.

Alessio back in the UFC at 55 before next summer

Totally agree Robin!

18. Cj Saftic says:

He was on a solid tear at 170 before Siyar who is a stud. At 55 he’s going to be a monster

19. Anonymous says:

I’m liking the support for Alessio and can’t wait for his debut at 155, let’s hope it’s with Zuffa! Thanks to Dan for responding, should be a very entertaining fight!

20. Justsayin says:

Just curious, has John ever fought at 55 or is this truly his debut?

I’m thinking this might be too much of a cut!

He said he’s been walking around at really low 170s so its a very average cut.

Lotsa 55ers will walk around near 180.

Some higher.

22. Justsayin says:

I just found it strange that 46 fights later he is just now dropping to 55.

Some guys get more serious about diet and training all year long as they get a bit older. When ya do that you drop your walking around weight significantly. Then, with an improved strength and fitness routine, a drop in weight class becomes very do-able.

24. Jamie Locke says:

There’s also alot more weight cutting, and bigger weight cuts, than were going on back when John got in the game.

Look at how many UFC’ers have been dropping weight in the past two years.

Times change and the game changes with it. I am personally not a fan of big weight cuts. This one seems “Natural” for John (see what I did there?). But I don’t like it when guys are cutting 20+ lbs, it doesn’t seem healthy to me. But I don’t think there is really a fair way to govern that.

25. Justsayin says:

The only way to govern it would be same day weigh in.