Strikeforce Signs Rising Welterweight Jordan Mein

The wait is finally over and Jordan “Young Gun” Mein has signed in the dotted line. Strikeforce announced early Friday morning that they had signed the 21 year old rising welterweight prospect to a contract. Terms of the deal were not disclosed however Jordan’s father Lee Mein announced on Facebook that he expects Jordan to make his début at the September 10th Strikeforce event.

Mein, the 6th ranked welterweight in Canada is riding a five fight win streak including wins over current DREAM welterweight champion Marius Zaromskis, Ultimate Fighter 2 competitor Josh Burkman and UFC veteran Joe Riggs. Mein’s only loss over his last ten bouts came to current Strikeforce fighter Jason High in a close decision at Rumble in the Cage 40.

With Nick Diaz vacating the Strikeforce Welterweight championship in favour of a UFC title fight with Georges St. Pierre, the welterweight division is wide open and a few wins should put Jordan Mein close to title contention.

In addition to Jordan Mein, Strikeforce in September is also rumored to feature a Middleweight title fight between Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Luke Rockhold, The North American debut of Maximo Blanco who will take on Josh Thomson, and a pair of Light Heavyweight contests between Gegard Mousasi and Mike Kyle as well as “King Mo” Lawal and Roger Gracie.

31 Responses to “ Strikeforce Signs Rising Welterweight Jordan Mein ”

1. Jamie Locke says:

Congrats to Jordan and Lee, this was long overdue.

I’m excited to see who he gets for his first match up…

2. Adam Lorenz says:

Congratulations Jordan!

Congrats and well deserved!

4. Hardcastle says:

Congrats!!! Very well deserved!

5. Konrad anderson says:

So pumped about this another Canadian makin it to a big stage and this card sounds great

6. Darren Owen says:

It’s about bloddy time! Congrats Jordan!

7. Dean Panas says:

Congrats to Jordan and Lee! We all know how hard you have worked and how much you deserve this!! Also congrats to Strikeforce….you have yourselves a keeper!!!

8. Anonymous says:

I think everyone on here is right, it is about time! How about a rematch with Jason High now?

9. dutch says:

excellent news!

10. Graham Weenk says:

Congrats Jordan!

11. Jake - Triple Crown Fighter says:

Big congrats to Jordan! I don’t think Jason would be a good one right off the bat. I think someone like Cyborg would be a great name for his resume. But either way, I hope they take their time building him up. He deserves to stay around.

12. Nigel Guerin says:

Awesome….Jordan represents himself and his Team with such class!

13. Bdc says:

Don’t it seem strikeforce is paying shitty wages from what I’ve seen the guys gotta make a living n get sum sponsors or sumthin. I’m not sure what he got but from what there pay shows on the fight network it’s really a joke for being one of the top 3 mma events

I’m sure now that Zuffa has taking over, the new contracts will be signed closer to the UFC pay scale.

15. Jarvis says:

Love it! Go Jordan Mein!

16. grienk says:

awesome news!

17. Grandma Mein says:

Way to go Jordy. I knew you would do it sooner or later & it is never too late. I’ll be cheering for ya sittin’ in my rocker wearing my “YOUNG GUN” Tee. Love you!!

18. hawkes says:

Congrats!… i just hope they keep him busy enough and he got a good contract.

19. CM says:

Looks like he’s taking on Cyborg in his debut with Strikeforce.

20. Jake - Triple Crown Fighter says:

Not a bad first opponent guess…if I do say so myself. lol

21. mmanalysis says:

Congrats would have liked to see him face Ryan Ford before he got picked up thats a fight I really wanted to see hopefully strike force pics up Ford so it can happen!!!

22. ruckus780 says:

Truthfully I am happy that they didn’t fight. As somebody would’ve had to lose. And I think they both deserve a shot in the big leagues.
    Hopefully they both excel and one day we see them go at it for the ufc ww title. Other then that I see to many other opponents for both these guys.Congrats too both

Prediction on Mein VS Cyborg
    If Mein Makes it threw the first 2 and a half three minutes I see a mien submission victory huge first fight

23. Jamie Locke says:

I agree with Ruckus on Mein vs Ford. Once you get to that level, there isn’t really any need to be fighting other Canadians unless it is for a big show or big dough.

There are enough opponents from south of the border for our Canucks to fight, that there is no reason for them all to move ahead in the game, instead of one having to step back fofr another to step up.

sure there is a reason. Its called making money, two good canadians fighting each other means a greater chance of making money on a fight and drawing fans and general attention.

25. Jamie Locke says:

Hence the “Big show or big dough”… If it is financially worth it for the fighters than for sure. Of course a promoter would want it, if they could afford it, as like you say, it will bring in local fans. But these guys are both headliners, they could bring the same fans to see them no matter who they fight, you could leave the rest of the card to the Canadians vs Canadians.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be a great fight to see, I just think it wouldn’t have made sense to the fighters unless it was for big bucks or a big show (like Alessio vs Ford).

“Plus, like Ruckus says, one of these guys would have had to lose, putting them back a step, and this is one where I want to see both guys progress.”

That’s called competition.

This is my opinion only…

Also many fighters are/were under contract to specific organizations.
    Say a fighter signs a 3 fight contract.
    Fights first fight at whatever dollar amount is stated.
    Now second fight a “big name/wanted” opponent is brought in.

So if an org finds an opponent (fighter B), then the original fighter (fighter A) who’s already under contract has made the commitment to compete for said organization at the originally discussed 2nd fight purse.
    But if instead of competing the fighter asks for more money, then it is no different than a fighter holding out while under contract in other sports leagues like nhl, nfl,etc

28. Jamie Locke says:

I understand the competition aspect, and the struggle to get to the top. Times like this happen in the UFC, where I won’t like a match-up strictly because I like both competitors and don’t want to see either one lose.

I understand, and I am sure both these guys would have fought if offered, or if under contract and that’s the fight that was given or whatever. And hell ya both Mein vs Ford or Alessio vs Ford would have been killer fights. But at a time where both Mein and Ford are on the cusp of big time signing, than as a Canadian mma fan I want to see them both move up. But if we’re talking about an all Canadian fight, than this would have definitly been a great one to see.

29. ruckus780 says:

Hey Im not saying this wouldn’t have been a huge Canadian fight. But now that Ford is in Bellator. And Mein In StrikeForce. I believe win or lose for either fighter. It is not beneficial for either fighter. Lets be real a win over Santos Daley or Scott Smith does a lot more then a win over Ford. And same with Ford a win over askren Hornbuckle Saunders is definitely going to push him further up the rankings then a win over mien. Just my opinion. But hopefully both these guys succeed and oneday this fight can be as big to a us market as it would in a Canadian one.

30. Jamie Locke says:

^^^ Word!

31. Waylon Fairchild says:

I wish I had tickets to this boxing show. Anyone sell me some tickets?