Nova Scotia Commission Pulls Eastman vs Hicks Fight

The Nova Scotia Boxing Commission and their doctor have refused to sanction the Marcus Hicks versus Marvin Eastman fight and the bout has been pulled from tonight’s Throwdown in Y-Town card.

Hicks, who has had two seizures in his life, one due to stress related to a family member’s death and one during a hospital stay for servere pneumonia was previously suspended for health reasons.  That suspension was lifted after Hicks was cleared by a neurologist and a neurosurgeon to fight.  However, that clearance was not enough for the general practitioner employed by the Nova Scotia Commission and they decided to not allow Hicks to fight.  The medical clearance was enough for the Manitoba commission to pull the suspension and the Quebec commission to allow Hicks to fight and beat Yan Pellerin last month.

A disappointed Marcus Hicks had this to say,

“I am in the best shape of my life.  I want to show I am a pro fighter now.  I am looking to earn my right to be called a pro fighter and the Nova Scotia Commission is taking this away from me.  I turned down another fight to take this opportunity.  This is absurd.  This is a travesty.”

Hope Fight Productions is expecting a huge crowd in Yarmouth tonight and now have to tell fans that their main event is cancelled. Ken Hope, HFP President, commented on behalf of the promotion.

The Nova Scotia Boxing Commission and medical staff seem to lack the professionals required to run a professional mixed martial arts show.  Due to their lack of due diligence in researching a fight they previously approved, not only are the fighters and promotion affected, but the MMA fans are as well.  Hope Fight Promotions will be seeking legal action.

Hope Fight Productions would like to make it clear that Mr. Eastman and Mr. Hicks have been the utmost professionals and have done everything and more asked of them.  It is our opinion that this fight did not happen due to the incompetence of the Nova Scotia Boxing Commission and negligence of the commission doctor.  There is no reason that Marcus Hicks should not be allowed to fight.

UFC veteran Marvin Eastman and Marcus Hicks will attend the fights tonight now as spectators.  The card will now feature seven bouts.

19 Responses to “ Nova Scotia Commission Pulls Eastman vs Hicks Fight ”

1. LMA Marcus Hicks says:

This really bothers me, I worked hard to be in shape & I deserve to test myself against a high level opponent. So we are clear, the commission was on our side for the fight to happen & the doctor over ruled one of the top neurosurgeons in Canada, not based on medical facts but HIS personal opinion. Thanks to everyone @ HFP for this opportunity and the proffesionalism and over all treatment of us while we were here.

2. mma says:

hubert earle must have had something to do with this nonsense

3. Big Win says:

In the words of the esteemed Keith Grienke, this decision is absolutely BUSH!!

4. J says:

I honestly cannot wait until all these boxing guys get a little older and we have a younger commission that wants to see MMA in NS grow instead of trying to hold it back with dumb ass decisions like this.

5. ryan farse says:

what a clown commission

6. Brad Wall says:

Bush is right!

Hopefully someone can set this bout up for them on another show… maybe one with a commission who knows what they’re doing!

8. Future says:

Boys pay attention the doctor would not approve fight the commission pushed hard to make it happen but could not over rule the Doc.

This is a strange occurance for sure but all the disapointment rests on the shoulders of the doctor.

Total joke move. I will have more to say about this after the show.

Again I’ like to make it clear, I put the blame on commission.

This is unreal!!!
    Stay tuned sports fans.

Also wanna reiterate how professional Marcus was in all of this.

11. Chris Ladouceur says:

One word Marcus….Lawsuit!

12. UPDATE: Ken Hope was speaking on behalf of Hope Fight Productions, not Bobby Karimi.

13. Jamie Locke says:

Strange, I know the NSBA requires medicals early so they can get pre-aproval for fights…. Why wouldn’t this doctor squash the fight earlier if he didn’t like Hicks’ med history?

I feel bad for everyone involved. I’m still looking forward to this new and improved LMA to show us all what’s up.

I know BKB worked his ass off for this show as well, it’s a shame this fight fell through so last minute.

I am sure the rest will put on a great event!

14. Mike Davis says:

THIS IS BUSH LEAGUE !!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE COMMISSIONS, we need to get them proper members, I got in trouble for speaking bad of the Calgary commission but this stuff has got to change they are ruining peoples lively hood and time!

Fight was pre-approved!

Keep working hard, Mr. Loudmouth, and stay in shape. After the Pellerin victory i am sure someone will pick you up to fight again.

17. Jarvis says:

Wow i feel horrible for LMA. This is a travesty!

19. Derek LeBlanc says:

It is basic for what happens here in the maritimes. Lucky enough the night of fights still went off well and even thou the company offered refunds, no one asked for one. The Hope brothers, Bobby, Sara and the rest did a great job and should be proud of what they did.