Top MMA News Canadian Bantamweight Rankings – June 2011
We finally had some action in the Top 10 Bantamweights, so Top MMA News got off its ass and ranked the 135ers. Some big wins happened including Josh Hill winning twice, John Fraser topped Eric Wilson, and, oh yeah, the Pride of El Salvador coming back!
On a sad note, former number one, Nick Denis has had fights with Kyle Dietz and Josh Hill fall apart and has therefore been moved to the inactive list along with Sean Quinn. Both have not fought in over a year.
Here you go, make sure you complain/compliment/tell us who we missed on the Official Canadian Bantamweight Rankings!
Top 10 Canadian Bantamweights
1. Ivan Menjivar (22-8) – Previous Rank (1) – The Pride of El Salvador is Number 1 in our hearts, for now! Ivan went 1-1 in Zuffa since the last rankings and gets the #1 spot thanks to his short elbow on Charlie Valencia at UFC 129. Menjivar is 2-1 since his return and really wowed the Canadian fans with his KO. No word on Ivan’s next opponent, but there is no doubt it should be announced soon. Next fight: TBD
2. Adrian Wooley (7-2) – Previous Rank (2) –Adrian Wooley lost his only fight over the past year at SFS on June 10, but oh how close that loss was. Wooley slammed Nick Mamalis around the cage, but ate a lot of good strikes during the match. Top MMA News scored the fight 30-27 for Wooley but unfortunately the judges awarded the split decision to Mamalis. Lets hope Wooley does not wait another year before fighting. Despite the loss, he remains number two on the charts with a loss to a very tough opponent. Next fight: TBD
3. John Fraser (8-3) – Previous Rank (NR) – The number six Featherweight debuts at number three on the Bantamweight ranks after only one fight at 135. Is that fair? Top MMA News thinks so! Fraser dominated the previous number four ranked Eric Wilson and has beaten such vets like Thierry Quenneville at 145, so Top MMA News was forced to put him near the top. Fraser is a huge 135er and now that his head is screwed on tight, looks unbeatable. Fraser should make short work of the wee bunny man next. Next fight: vs Chucky Mady at Professional FC 1 on July 16
4. Roland Delorme (6-1) – Previous Rank (3) – Delorme was scheduled to face the unbeaten Josh Hill at Score Fighting Series but had to pull out. His last fight was October 2010. If nothing is lined up by then, Rolly will join the ranks of the unranked. Next fight: TBD
5. Eric Wilson (5-1) – Previous Rank (4) – Eric Wilson received a Haggis Bashing in the WRECK Bantamweight title fight from John Fraser. No shame in that. Eric is still high on our radar with his win over Roland Delorme and we know he will go back to Saskatoon and learn from this loss. Next fight: TBD
6. Josh Hill (6-0) – Previous Rank (NR) – Hill rockets up the rankings with two wins since the last rankings. From the depths of “Out of the Top 10”, Hill took on Diego Wilson in a battle of unbeaten 135ers. Hill dominated that fight positionally for five rounds and came home with the Aggression Bantamweight title. Next, Hill fought the unbeaten Darin Cooley from the Cesar Gracie camp and handed him his first loss at SFS. Basically if you are tired of being undefeated, fight Josh Hill. Next fight:
7. Hardeep Singh (10-2) – Previous Rank (5) – Singh has not fought since losing to Legowo in Hong Kong at the Legend Fighting Championship. Since being ranked as high as number four, Singh is making a slow exit from the rankings. He needs a fight by next rankings our he will be off the Top 10. Next fight: TBD
8. Eric Perez (7-2) – Previous Rank (7) – Since displaying his solid ground game at CFC 6, Perez has been sitting on the sidelines just like his teammate Rolly Delorme. We know he will not be dropped due to inactivity though, as he is sure to show up on the CFC 7 card on Sept. 10. Next fight: TBD.
9. Stephane Pelletier (5-1) – Previous Rank (NR) – To tell the truth, Top MMA News had Dimitri Waardenburg pencilled into the #9 spot prior to Stephane Pelletier derailing him at Ringside 11. Top MMA News has had its eye on Pelletier for a while, but a loss to Mike Hong knocked him off our “Out of the Top 10”. Now having won three in a row in 2011 with a Bantamweight title, Pelletier earns his spot with the big boys (or is that little boys since they are 135?). Next fight: TBD
10. Diego Wilson (5-1) – Previous Rank (8) – Wilson falls two spots with a loss to Josh Hill. Since he lost to tougher competition than Clayton Sheen, who lost to Ryan Knysh, Top MMA News felt that Wilson deserved the 10 spot. With Battlefield fighting pros now and Armageddon always running solid shows, lets hope Wilson gets a fight in BC soon. Next fight: TBD
Fighters who dropped out of Top 10 – Nick Denis (was 1st, inactivity), Clayton Sheen (was 6th), Remi Morvan (was 9th), Ryan Diaz (was 10th)
Out of the Top 10:
Remi Morvan (7-6)
Ryan Diaz (13-13)
Clayton Sheen (5-1)
Dimitri Waardenburg (7-4)
Tyler Davis (5-2)
Not Considered Due to Inactivity: