Canadian Rumour Mill – June 6

Well I watched Ringside on the Fight Network. It’s great that TFN is showing LIVE MMA!!! By the way, nice little hottie Marcus Hicks had in his corner ;). Oh yeah… didn’t I tell you Bellator was coming to Ontario? Remember where you heard that first.

• So I read on my favourite site, Top MMA News that Aggression and Armageddon have made a blood pact, so I have a question/comment: Why don’t they just man up and get the winner of Hinchliffe/Ford to fight John Alessio for a Welterweight title some time after Alessio’s fight with Neer? The fans want it, the fighters want it, and I want it! Come on boys!
  • Myles Merola has a broken hand, he’s out vs Shane Campbell on the Aggression show.
  • The Ontario MMA scene is growing, Amateur MMA is coming to Ontario this October with help from the Amateur Kick Boxing guys.
  • Thierry Quenneville coming back this fall?  I’d like to see a rubber match with Fraser.
  • Two of Canada’s top Lightweights, Cardinal and Horodecki will face each other on the Slammer in the Hammer debut show.
  • John Makdessi’s next UFC opponent is the always exciting action fighter Paul Taylor, this one should be fun!
  • Lindsay Hawkes vs Curtis Stranger on the September Canadian Fighting Championship show?
  • Ontario is making guys who have had a longer layoff get fights elsewhere, BUT a guy made his debut on MMA LIVE. What the heck? Everyone is equal, just some are more equal than others!
  • So I’ve heard a few different names been tossed around as an opponent for cutie patootie Chris Horodecki on Pro Fighting Championship; Prater, Dent, and Gunderson. All 3 would surely help Horodecki get back in the UFC.
  • Canadian MMA pioneer Richard Nancoo has been looking to get back into the mix. That’s great news!

NOTE: These are just rumors and opinions of the Gossip Queen. If you have a rumour that you want to contribute,

17 Responses to “ Canadian Rumour Mill – June 6 ”

1. Mike Davis says:

Horodecki and Cardinal are fighting at Freedom fight Sept.10th from what I heard. Also if Monkey is back everyone at 135 should look the F*** out!

2. Jarvis says:

Cardinal over Hordecki! im calling the upset!

3. LMA Marcus Hicks says:

Im with Jarvis,Im calling an upset also with Cardinal over Horodecki. Cardinal is the most underrated guy, very good guy with amazing skills.

& thnx for the props for my GF,she also trains full time with me,videos all my sparring to go over it after & knows the things I like to do when i fight. She was a perfect corner person,calmed me down in between rounds & got me back focused more again & called for more kicks & called for the elbows that lead to the finish. She fights her 2nd Ammy fight July 8th in Vancouver. & yeah my babeh is a hottie. Thnx Nicola for cornering me,it was funny cause some people thought it was funny till they heard her talk & corner me & actually knew exactly what she was doing. Not just looks my babeh.

4. LMA Marcus Hicks says:

Oh & Ryan(Ford) has been asking for Alessio for over a year now.

5. Mike Davis says:

Damn I want to see Alessio vs Ford!!!!!!!

6. Dean Panas says:

Congrats on the win Marcus!! Learn from the past and keep up the good work. I’m proud of you.

7. Jarvis says:

Alessio wants no part of Ford?

8. Darren Owen says:

Fact: Alessio would fight Ford or any other Welterweight on the planet. He just want’s to be compensated for a tough fight or any fight understandably. That fight is over the majority of Canadian MMA promotions budgets though. I would love to make that fight but I also don’t want to lose money on an event either.

I find it funny how anyone can think Alessio would duck anyone, the guy fought Pat Miletich for the UFC title at 19 years old. And has stepped in the cage with top 10 of the worlds best 170’s like Thiago Alves, Diego Sanchez, Paul Daley and Carlos Condit. Not 1 ounce of disrespect to Ford but Alessio will fight anyone.

Ya Alessio would fight Batman if he was paid what he deserves. Which, for Natural vs Batman, would be $17500 with a $7500 win bonus and flights for him and THREE corners. He’d have to work on his Batarange defence but I think he could hang with Batman on the feet.

For Alessio vs Ford lets get him at least a flat 10 grand.

10. BigBoi says:

I still don’t get the fixation around Ford. The guy is a gamer but has consistantly fallen short when he’s stepped up in competition (excluding Speers who if memory serves me right took the fight on short notice). Frankly with his ties (family and sponsor) to Edmonton and then travelling out of town to train I just don’t see him becoming more than a solid local scrap.

Alessio is smart to ask big money since the risk is purely his in this case. Let’s be honest, even a win over John won’t gaurentee Ryan a spot on a UFC card. His best hope right now is that the UFC comes to Edmonton and decides to stack the undercard with locals.

Still a huge accomplishment for the guy and something few people acheive.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

11. Hawkes says:

I can confirm that if a contract for that fight happened to be infront of me i would sign it… i can confirm that i am planning on fighting at CFC.

Im also looking for a fight before that. Never really got started in my last one… got caught right away and was conservative due to the cut… the wheels just started gettin greased when it got stopped. no disrespect to gunner… good job dude.

I want 5 more fights this year… help a brother TMN!!!!… my cut will be 100% healed by July 1st!

Hawkes vs Stranger would definitely be an exciting fight, make it happen MAD!

13. Jarvis says:

Ford is not UFC worthy, the guy lost to Healey 2x, Lima, cheated to be Spratt, etc.

14. Jarvis says:

Darren, AFC needs to step up its game and its pay scale!

15. busted nut says:

Darren keep doing what your doing, your shows are great. I would like to see a few more top lhw on your shows but hey, this is a forum and I can dream all I want. Therefore I would like to see a lhw and a hw champion in the near future. Lots out there without belts who dont demand to much money

16. ccanadx says:

I follow and read a lot of sports.
    However when sports stories become money stories, salary caps, fees etc. I just glaze over.

I know mma, and all sports have a biz side – but lets be honest; MMA is not big biz and as such needs tight cost control. The definition of Small and Medium sized business varies according to different sources:

According to Canadian Industry Profiles, a small business is defined as one with revenue between $30,000 and $5 million.A medium business has revenues between $5 million and $25 million.

Statistics Canada defines small businesses as firms with less than 500 employees and less than $50 million in annual revenues.

The Canadian Council of Ministers of the Environment defines business size according to the number of employees. Small Business has less than 50 employees. Medium Business has 51 to 500 employees.

Yes UFC in Canada may be a small business if one is talking net net

So please, lets avoid MMA fans giving biz advice and leave all that $ stuff to the gutsy entrepreneurs. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

17. Shell says:

its CHRIS STRANGER not CURTIS STRANGER, ahhh the travesty LOL, yes make that happen MAD ;)