Lesnar Diverticulitis Symptoms Recur; Out of UFC 131

The UFC called a press conference today where they stated they were going to make a major announcement. Here it is:

Former UFC Heavyweight champion has diverticulitis again.

At UFC 131, Junior Dos Santos will fight Shane Carwin instead of Lesnar.

Lesnar stated that diverticulitis never goes away.  He has been able to train in his last few fights, but this bout of diverticulitis has drained him of energy and he has been unable to train.

Lesnar needs to decide whether to have surgery or to deal with this issue for the rest of his life.  Two years ago, doctors wanted to do the surgery.  Now he will have to make the decision again.

Brock said he is not going to retire and he will return to fighting.  “This is a speedbump in the road,” says Lesnar.  This is a problem that he will have to overcome, but is not the end of his career.

Lesnar believes that diverticulitis affected him in the Carwin and Velasquez fights. “I was 80-85% against Carwin,” says Lesnar.

Lesnar has been very dedicated with his diet since first being diagnosed.

There is no opponent for Jan Olav Einemo yet.

10 Responses to “ Lesnar Diverticulitis Symptoms Recur; Out of UFC 131 ”

1. Dean says:

I think thats a way tougher fight for JDS and should be more exciting to watch. Get ready for bombs!!

2. Jamie Locke says:

I have to disagree…. I think Brock would have been a more entertaining fight.

Not that this one won’t be enetertaining. But I think JDS will have an easier time.

3. Zach B says:

I agree with jamie, some leather thrown in this fight though. JDS by first rd ko !!!

4. Jamie Locke says:

You think he’s done for good? In mma that is?

5. Brock was adamant that his career was not over on the call.

6. JunkBoxx says:

I have Diverticulitis and it is swelling (inflammation) of an abnormal pouch (diverticulum) in the intestinal wall. These pouches are usually found in the large intestine (colon).
    All he needs is to stop eating certain foods….
    And he will be pain free.

7. Junkboxx … On the conference call, Lesnar maintained he has been committed to eating proper foods. He said (and I am paraphrasing) that the problem is that is enough for ordinary people but not for guys going through demanding MMA camps.

8. Just Sayin says:

Heck for Brock to cut out protein and meat from his diet and concentrate on high fibre is a huge step for him considering his love for hunting and im sure passion for meat.

I hope he can recover and fight again, Not a huge fan but you hate to see anyone lose thier livelyhood due to an illness.

Hope to see him back in the sport.

I’m a fan of Brock, I hope he recovers and gets back to the top, the guy is a beast!