CCF Bushido – Mayerthorpe – September 3

Date: September 3, 2011
Location: Mayerthorpe Exhibition Centre in Mayerthorpe, AB
TV: USTREAM.tv
Tickets: Eagle River Casino

Main Event:
Gilbert Yvel (36-16) vs. Tony Lopez (24-6)

Ross Ebanez (20-7) vs. Fabio Nascimento (11-5)
David Douglas (8-3) vs. Shane Nelson (13-5)
Donald Sanchez (22-11) vs. Kenny Raught (3-3)

Preliminary Card:
Shane Pacarro (3-1) vs. Arnold Ranon (2-1)
Kris Kucher (2-1) vs. Eddy Millis (1-3)
Josh Kyrejto (5-7) vs. Lorenzo Borgomeo (5-3)

104 Responses to “ CCF Bushido – Mayerthorpe – September 3 ”

McKee is fighting MFC

2. Sam wambam says:

Lol is anyone surprised? Ccf=epic fail!

3. UPDATE: Confirmed with Mckee that he was removed from this card. Lino confirmed that Hinchliffe fight is off as well.

I’ve also heard Britto is not competing

5. Sean Quinn says:

what a joke.

6. BigBoi says:

jokes are funny… this is not.

7. Title Shot Mgmt says:

Shane Nelson is not on this card either, he got injured and they called up 1 of my fighters to replace him, dont think he will except, I hear to many bad things about this event..

8. Home Wrecker says:

I heard Lino is losing his mind and good chance this show doesn’t even happen.

9. Sean Quinn says:

I will step in to help out. I only want $10,000.00 to show. Then $15,000 to win. I want both sums in cash, in my hands before i weigh in.
    Also, i will not make weight so dont even ask.

10. Please note Shane Nelson is on the card. Talked to Mr. Penn (BJ’s dad) from Hawaii who confirmed that Shane Nelson, Ross Ebanez, and Shane Pacarro are all still on the card.

11. Tellitlikeitis says:

Shocking….just shocking.

I have nothing against Lino at all. But I bet someone $100 this show would not be happening as it was presented.

Sometimes it sucks to be right.

13. Dean Panas says:

I hope you were nice Robin and gave the guy odds.

14. ruckus780 says:

I wouldn’t mind discussing with a few knowledgable cats like robin or dean there thoughts on ccf and the pride rules as to whether or not they think its a good thing or not for mma,,, My personal feelings are I believe this sport still has far to go in terms of growth and legalization and all that… And as much as I do enjoy rewatching my old pride dvds,,, I believe if a bad injury were to occur to a fighter on one of these pride rule shows,,, it could only hurt the credibility of all the people working hard to prove this sport is a legit art and not human cock fighting as the naysayers have been saying,,, me as a greedy fan would love to enjoy an alternative show with an alternative set of rules… but on the otherhand I think until mma is legal in every province and state,,, Mma promotions should adhere to the north american combat rules,,,, just my thoughts

15. BigBoi says:

Rules are some what immaterial so long as the safety of the fighter can be assured. At the end of the day that’s all a commission should ever care about. The addition of soccer kicks and removal of elbows can be managed so long as the safety of the fighter is protected. Unfortunately (as you touched on) the sport is so new that 1. we don’t have the refs who can adequately manage the current rule set and 2. the public as a whole will not react well to it. While the first is purely safety the second is sport longevity. Without the 2nd (ie. public acceptance) we don’t have a sport. Without the first we lose the 2nd.

Since they’re both tied to each other they have to be managed.

16. Dean Panas says:

Including my name in a list of knowledgeable people like Robin, Jake, Keith, Cody R, etc is an insult to them. I may be knowledgeable in the entertainment side of things, but definitely not the technical side of it. With that being said, I will give you my thoughts.
    I am a definitely a fan of stand up wars and huge knockouts. Nothing excites me more then seeing somebody getting his ass kicked and coming back to win with a KO. As a fan, I would love to see Pride rules. However I don’t feel they are best for the sport or the athletes.
    Concussions and their effects are all over the news right now. I have suffered 4 major ones myself and was in a comma for a short time when I was 14. Although the rules may result in more entertainment for the fans, I feel that the athletes are the ones who could pay a price that is not worth it.

Some great thoughts here from ruckus, Boyee and Deano. Great stuff.

I agree with ruckus (and must say I’m impressed with his points) that:
    “this sport still has far to go in terms of growth and legalization and all that… And as much as I do enjoy rewatching my old pride dvds,,, I believe if a bad injury were to occur to a fighter on one of these pride rule shows,,, it could only hurt the credibility of all the people working hard to prove this sport is a legit art and not human cock fighting as the naysayers have been saying”.

Also love Boyee’s points about referee management, public reaction, safety, and longevity.

Deano makes great points about concussions and makes me NEED to hear his story about being in a coma at 14!!!!!

Not much to add here. Except WHY??

I mean, again, no disrespect to Lino, but we are talking about traditionally a lower level promotion here in terms of fights, audience numbers, show’s public reach, profitability, reliability, etc.
    And, as we see if we look further up this thread, the show has some alleged history of fighter non-payment and other issues.

So, when you have a lower level promotion, with some past controversies, and you see the addition of “Pride rules’, one can’t help but assume its just to the rule controversy to create press and attention in hopes of further financial success.

So, now we have a lower level show RISKING FIGHTERS HEATH AND RISKING DANGER TO THE HEALTH AND LEGITIMACY OF A STILL DEVELOPING SPORT just to try to get more people to talk about/pay to watch/ get media attention for itself.
    In other words, risking fighters heath and the sport’s possible viability TO MAKE MONEY.

That is not ok.

Its also f#(king lazy. You can improve a show by increasing its value, by building better more trusting relationships with fighters and people in the business. You can grow a show by doing better matchmaking, by investing $ in marketing, by creating a passionate street team. You can do it by educated use of social media, by developing a tv deal based on quality not controversy, by building the trust of the people in the sport, by DOING A MILLION OTHER THINGS RATHER THAN CREATING RISK TO FIGHTERS AND THE SPORT in hopes that the controversy will make you $.

And the rest of the world uses and loves the unified rules. But some show up in Edmonton knows better? Some show up in Edmonton who have had 1 or 2 of their last 20 fights go past the first 5 minutes needs a 10 minute round and head stomps? C’mon people.

And some guy in Edmonton, in his quest to make a bit more $ and because “Robin, he loves Pride rules”, has the right to put fighters and potentially THE WHOLE SPORT at risk??

Not in my opinion.

I was just told by someone that my above post is negative and biased and that “your input is supposed to be unbiased as a mma news liasons”.

Here’s my thoughts on that:

My input is unbiased. I am an analyst. I analyze.

There is nothing biased about what I have written. I analyze, give my informed opinion as an educated MMA analyst, and that’s it.

I have taken all the information available to me, written my thoughts based on my experienced and what I’ve learned over the last few years of 24-7 education on the sport and the business of MMA, and drawn educated conclusions.

That’s all.

Also, my opinions or the opinions of any other analyst are just that: opinions. Yes, we hope to give an educated and informed opinion, using every piece of data and information and experience we have compiled through spending every day trying to learn about all aspects of our job. But in the end it is an opinion.

People tend to find the analysts they trust based on what makes sense to them. And based on the credibility that they may build.

But its still only the educated opinion of some guy who tries to be as informed and educated on the topics that he analyzes that he can.

19. Trent says:

has the world gone crazy, i did just see a pig fly by my window lol im in 100% TOTAL agreement with Robin! and hey i got a super special tan for ya next fight! lol

Holy crapola I think I just saw one fly by my window too. :)

(i’m scared about the tan)

21. sigh, No Comment.

22. Marc-Andre, you need to focus up.

23. Who am I? Michael Bolton?

24. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

Marc-Andre shame on you!

25. I know, Blasphemy.

Nobody should soil the good name of Michael Bolton like that.

You guys are confusing me.

27. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

Keith please explain exactly why show is delayed.

Like what exactly does this mean… “Summer holidays – that is why the event is delayed”

28. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

Show is rescheduled to Aug 27 now.

29. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

Yvel posted the press release of him not fighting July 23.

This was posted by Lino as a comment to that status…

Pasqualino Sisto Santoro
    sorry guys for the postponement especially to gilbert his fight is rescheduled for aug 27 this was not due to the promotion but to alot of factors one being gilbert return fight should be broadcast on a greater scale live television and live internet gilbert is one of the best heavyweights in the world in our eye’s and the promotion should have the same quality of production standard as it fighters, we are displaying please be patient i am sorry but we are just postponing it not cancelling i am assuming full responsibilty for the postponement

30. So i see 3 reasons so far.

1) Not enough time for Commission paperwork.
    2) Summer time
    3) Gilbert should be on live tv and internet

How many more reasons will pop up?

How is this stuff not the promotions fault? Why is there no accountability here?

August 27th is still summer, no?

32. When Lino posts “i am assuming full responsibilty for the postponement”, “not all of the official paperwork required by the Commission sanctioning the event can be completed in time” I am taking that as Lino saying its the promotions fault.

Yes…Aug 27 is still summer. I guess he just needs another month.

33. But then goes on to list 3 more excuses.

34. Bobby Karimi-Busheri says:

Watch it!

35. Sam wambam says:

What a wanker!

36. Big Jake says:

All great posts imo. Deano, Robin and Ruckus are bang on.

37. Not sure why the press release mentioned River Cree and Edmonton Commissions, but if this means Lino is looking to run a show with one of those commissions, I applaud him. Smart move.

If with those commissions, I’d assume it would under unified rules?

Just as a side note… Lino posted that he’d be fighting one more bout as a retirement fight! God I hope it’s against Trent Thorne, almost happened a year or two ago and everyone was looking forward to it, bad blood makes for good fights!

Lino is an alright guy. If he wants another fight I say best of luck man.

I wouldn’t mess with The Thorne tho…..

40. Trent says:

lol ya thanks Robin, lol. i got super hair and tan power now! lol ya id take that fight tonmorrow but unfortunatley i dont think Lino would take the fight. last time i didnt get so much of an excuse as to why he dropped out. 2 days before Chad Frey steped up. Also no way im the name of baby jesus will it be in the CCF! i like to get paid after fights….

41. Sam wambam says:

Also id take that fight at whatever weight he would like from hw down to ww!

42. Sam wambam says:

Good on ya Trent I just hate to see good fights passed up!

43. Trent says:

lol, so many fans eh? well its on the table.

44. Sam wambam says:

This looks like a fight you might win! Hahaha

45. And for the record, i just want to be very clear that despite where I work, my opinion is my own opinion, and not that of the fight network.

46. I lost a lot of respect for The Fight Network when they press released this,

“This event is a throwback to some of the glory days of mixed martial arts in Japan,” stated Chad Midgley, vice president of programming and production at Fight Network. “While Fight Network does not in any way endorse the use of an alternative set of rules, “CCF 6: Bushido” should provide some quality entertainment for our Canadian fans.”

When you knowingly put something on your network, you are endorsing it.

When Janet Jackson suprisingly showed her boob on the super bowl, that network never endorsed it.

If the Fight Network is broadcasting a PRIDE rules show, that means they are standing behind that product and their rules.

47. BigBoi says:

Leave Linus alone. He didn’t do nothing to make you all so mean to him.

Oh and for what it’s worth, I’ll fight that bloated windbag but I’d want to do it in the MFC. Does anyone know Paveldochebag well enough to set this up?

Big “The Promoter Destroyer” Boi vs Linus

This whole thing is super tiring.

I totally agree with Keith and I too lost respect.

Very weak statement. Cop out in my opinion. If you play it you endorse it.

I thought TFN was going the right way with retaining quality guys like Robin Black and hiring in my opinion one of the best guys in Canadian MMA in Marc-Andre, as well as removing some of the crappy programming they had.

Then they announce putting on a at very best questionable if not illegal show which brags about not using the unified rule set and having a checkered history.

I’m sure there is enough “legit” quality entertainment out there that The Fight Network didn’t have to go down this path.

Weak.

UPDATE: CCF Bushido will now take place on September 3 in Mayerthorpe, Alberta.