Battlefield Names Kang Replacement

As Top MMA News reported earlier, Battlefield Fight League received some unfortunate news yesterday. Hometown fighter Denis Kang had to pull out of their main event against Jesse Taylor due to a bicep injury.

After burning up the phone lines, BFL president Jay Golshani found his fighter. That fighter happens to be Team Toshido fighter Clay Davidson – a top 10 Canadian Light-Heavyweight.

Golshani explained the decision to use Davidson,

“We got the news yesterday from Kang that he is definitely out for his fight on the 26th due to an injury. We tried the most logical replacements in Jason MacDonald, David Louiseau, Kalib Starnes, Joey Villasenor, Terry Martin, Joe Doerkson, Thiago Goncalves, Jordan Mein, Drew McFedries and Gerald Harris and they are all unable to take this fight for either contractual obligations or other fights scheduled in the same time frame. We hate to have mismatches headlining our cards, and we try to stay away from it even if it’s a last minute replacement. Since most of the top 85ers outside the UFC can’t fight Taylor on short notice, we have decided to ask Taylor to step out of his weightclass and fight B.C.’s Clay Davidson (5-2) from Toshido at a catch weight of 202 pounds. We believe that with the size advantage and Clay’s ground game, this is the most logical replacement and stylistically makes for an interesting matchup.”

Needless to say this is an interesting solution to a very difficult problem. A solid matchup that should also satisfy fan’s desire to cheer for someone from their home province of British Columbia.

Battlefield also announced that Kang has agreed to fight on their May 28th show and that fans who attend BFL 7 can receive a discount to see Kang next show. Golshani states,

“Denis Kang will be back headlining Battlefield 8 in Nanaimo B.C. on May 28th, and all the fans who are attending this event will receive 15% percent off the May 28th event headlined by Kang. (They have to keep their ticket stub and they will get the exact same seat for the next event at a 15% discount.) Denis Kang will still be making the trip down from Montreal on March 26th to meet the fans and the media.”

13 Responses to “ Battlefield Names Kang Replacement ”

Big opportunity for Clay Davidson, good luck to him.

2. Rowboat says:

Dirkson is a can

3. Jamie Locke says:

Really too bad we don’t get to see Kang this time around. I really hope he’s healthy come next show.

Clay is a decent 205 for sure, and he’s a dominant local submission grappler, but on the international stage, I don’t thing he can hang with a wrestler and controller like JT. I will definitly be rooting for Clay to come out with the W here, but realistically I think JT has it.

Don’t get me wrong, I will be at this show and I still think this card is sick! Lots of BC ranking movements involved in this card!

Jamie my friend, would you like to place a friendly wager on this?

I see Davidson shocking you (and Taylor) in this one.

5. The Dude says:

I never saw Clay fight but I know that Toshido is a good camp and anyone coming out of there shouldn’t be taken lightly

6. Bigtoe says:

Hey Robin,

I will take your friendly wager.

I just can’t see an ok regional fighter beating JT even with weight advantage. I see JT as a top 25 mw in the world and kang would have been a good match up.

7. Jamie Locke says:

I am in for a wager Robin. I am a fan of Clay, and anyone who comes from Toshido but I just don’t think he’s at this level.

Are you coming out for this show?

8. robin black says:

I don’t think I’m going to make it for this one :(

I wish I was. They’ve done great things with their amateur shows.

We could bet $5.

I don’t really collect on the bet if I win, but I DO do a mean Stewie Griffin imitation (GIMME MY MONEY! WHERE’S MY MONEY! GIMME MY MONEY! YOU GOT MONEY FOR FAKE MOUSTACHES, GIMME MY MONEY!) for a couple days so be warned…..

9. Chris Day says:

Awesome! Reppin K-Town, good luck to Clay!

10. Jamie Locke says:

Are you going to be out for AFC Robin?

I’m on for $5, it can be a virtual $5, we can start a tab, because I belive we can have a long relationship of me beeting you at bets….

I still need a win back from BK, he took a cool $50 from me at AFC 3…

11. robin black says:

I won a virtual $7 from BK and did my best Stewie imitation at him. “WERE’S MY MONEY??? GIMME THE MONEY!!!”

He’s a good man, tried to get me to give him info so he could send me the $7 too.

We’re banking it for future bets.

Jamie, let’s run a tab……

12. Jamie Locke says:

Done deal! I got JT Money FTW!

13. DeViLBoY says:

Can I get in on this action??