Time to Hang Up the Boots

Holst took on John Gunderson

Mark “Boots” Holst will retire from Mixed Martial Arts following his upcoming MMA fight.  Holst, who currently has an 8-3 record, will face Markhaile Wedderburn in a Welterweight fight at WRECK MMA on January 28.  Win or lose, Holst will hang up the gloves following the fight.

Holst recently made the jump to the UFC where he lost two fights to Paul Sass and John Gunderson.  One of the biggest highlights of Holst’s career was winning the XKL Lightweight belt with a submission over Corey Hill.  Holst will now focus on other career opportunities.

Look for future interview with Mark “Boots” Holst at Top MMA News by Don Wilson in the next week as well as Mark’s own thoughts on the retirement in his upcoming Top MMA News ‘Boots Scraps’ columns.

26 Responses to “ Time to Hang Up the Boots ”

1. Sean Quinn says:

WTF?

2. hog says:

yeh you no showtime was going to do that to you anyway

3. Sean Quinn says:

Shut your fucking face you piece of shit. I like watching Showtime fight, but his fucking shithead fans make me want him to lose brutally.

Fuck you, retard.

Yeah seriously. Why do people have no class?

Mark is a great fighter and an awesome person. If this is what he decides, he can hold his head up high and be proud of everything he’s done.
    If this is his last fight, everyone will watch it with great enjoyment and that casino is gonna be LOUD!

I’m excited to see whatever Mark does next. I’ll predict he’s gonna set out to build a few champions. Stephane Bernadel is a good place to start.

Congrats Mark on everything. Have a great fight.

5. Gunner says:

Sorry to hear this but congrats on many great fights and now i am even more upset i was unable to make this show and perform along side you in what is sure to be one hell of a going away celebration. All the best Mark

6. Gunner says:

And yea what Sean said!

7. Vanilla Gorilla says:

This blew me away this morning when I heard it. It does make sense from a business stand point though. I’ve heard that hes thinking about opening his own gym, an OAMA of course, and he wants to focus on getting his bbj black belt.

Being a 2x UFC vet and have a bbj black belt are some serious, serious creds when opening up your own school. OAMA has some 1000+ students right now between their 2 schools. Mark opening his own gym will find him set for the rest of his life doing something he loves, and maybe he wouldn’t have been able to do that as a fighter.

Best of luck to Mark in whatever he does. I have been and always will be a fan of the nicest person I’ve ever met. In MMA or otherwise.

8. showtying says:

good luck in the future mark and i no we will both put on a good show. i wish you the best in training.I cant wait to get this fight on the road. thanks again.hey hog keep it kool brother.

9. Tim Wilberforce says:

To “Hog” – so-called “showtime” is 9-8 and he is on a 3 fight losing streak. The only “show” is his ring entrance. He should have retired long ago. It’s no wonder you won’t put your real name on a dumb ass comment like that.

10. BigBoi says:

Tim Wilberforce is as classy os Hog.

That said, sorry to see Boots retire.

11. Tim Wilberforce says:

The difference is that my opinion is backed up by facts and records and I can put my name on it because it’s a valid point and not just fan boy crap. The truth hurts sometimes but it needs to be said.

12. trent_thorne says:

wow thats shitty man! well good luck in all your future endevours! cheers!

13. Joe Doerksen says:

I would tell Hog he’s a fucking loser, but I’m sure he already knows.

Too bad about the retirement, but a guy has to follow his heart. If that’s what he wants, no one should try to talk him out of it. Would be nice to see him go out with a win.

14. Pat G says:

Best of luck Mark

15. Pat G says:

Hog is probably chrissy in disquise

16. Tyler Davis says:

Wow hog your a douche and have no idea, showtime gonna miss wieght and then lose to a natural 155er can’t wait. Congrats to mark on deciding to retire and open a gym that’s great to know when to get out of the game(although he prolly had lots of great fights left in him).

Sorry to hear that; I am sure he is gonna be a success at his next gig and I am glad he got a taste of the big show. I am stoked I am going see his last throwdown and it’s a scrap I never thought I’d get to see. A nice send-off for us mopes.

18. JYD says:

Congratulations on an outstanding career Boots.

19. O' Papagaio says:

Wish Mark all the best with this fight and future plans. This is a never say never situation, Mark is only 25 years old.

Let’s not forget that Ricardo Almeida also took some time off from MMA and he’s doing pretty good right now.

This will make Mark a better fighter and prepares his career for the long haul.

Congrats Boots and look forward to your fight on the 28th!

20. McDooogs says:

Unreal… He must have big plans ahead him. All the best to Mark…. He truly is an outstanding role model, fighter and person… feeling a little sad to know this is it.

21. JOE says:

hey joe you should not talk your no star yourself..just cheep filler your as good as your last fight buddy.and your last fight was??? wel you can answer that prick.your only good against losers

22. Moemar says:

Uh oh internet tough guy bashing fighters because hes never accomplished anything in his life and he cant just admit that hes jealous.

Big Rig

23. Joe Doerksen says:

Big Rig!!! You gonna be around when I come to visit your city?

JOE, thanks for sharing your feelings. If you don’t like me, you don’t have to watch. Remember though… As shitty a fighter as you think I am, I still get laid more than you. ;)

24. Joe Doerksen says:

hog, showtying, JOE…. all the same guy. Am I the only one who sees this? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills!!! Lol

25. ricosuavable says:

EVERY TIME YOU FEED A TROLL SATAN KILLS A PUPPY

26. ricosuavable says:

LOL WHY ARE MMA FANS SO EASY TO TROLL?