KOTC Forty-Eight Photo Gallery

Jason Bouwmeester was on hand at KOTC Forty Eight at Rexall Place in Edmonton, AB on November 21, 2010.

Here are his photos from the event (check back as they will be added throughout the evening):

• Alderic Kieth defeats Jeremy Josey by Split Decision
KOTC Forty-Eight: Ring Girls

KOTC Forty-Eight: Ring Girls

KOTC Forty-Eight: Joe Riggs vs Trent Thorne

Joe Riggs defeats Trent Thorne via TKO (Elbows) in Round 1, 3:56.

KOTC Forty-Eight: Tony Lopez vs Raphael Bergman

Tony Lopez defeats Raphael Bergman via TKO (Elbows) in Round 2, 2:33.

KOTC Forty-Eight: Matt Baker vs Brad Stewart

Matt Baker defeats Brad Stewart via Split Decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-28).

KOTC Forty-Eight: Dan Severn vs Tom Benesocky

Dan Severn defeats Tom Benesocky via Submission (Arm Triangle) in Round 1, 1:33.

KOTC Forty-Eight: Tyler Davis vs Keenan Feeney

Tyler Davis defeats Keenan Feeney via KO (Head Kick) in Round 1, 1:19.

KOTC Forty-Eight: Cody Krahn vs Shannon Ritch

Cody Krahn defeats Shannon Ritch via TKO (Injury) in Round 1, 2:35.

KOTC Forty-Eight: Kris Miskanack vs Mariusz Zastawny

Kris Miskanack defeats Mariusz Zastawny via TKO (Unanswered Blows) in Round 1, 4:04.

KOTC Forty-Eight: Trevor Wright vs TJ Klassen

Trevor Wright defeats TJ Klassen via TKO (Unanswered Blows) in Round 1, 2:23.

KOTC Forty-Eight: Mike Davis vs Matt Knysh

Mike Davis defeats Matt Knysh via TKO (Unanswered Blows) in Round 1, 2:49.

*** All photos © by Jason Bouwmeester|pixelens photography & design

Related Posts:
KOTC Forty-Eight Weigh-in Results
KOTC Forty-Eight Recap

44 Responses to “ KOTC Forty-Eight Photo Gallery ”

1. BigBoi says:

LOL – Love the Strike Force gloves on Rigs.

2. lol I was going to say the same thing!

3. guy are observant. I did not see that at all.

4. trent_thorne says:

was curious about that myself! why is it the commision has rules if there just gonna break them for whatever reason? on that note Riggs was nothing but a class act! cool dude even had a few drnks with him afterwards! good stuff!

5. Jason says:

Mike is a classy guy – spoke to him about this and Braak did mention it to him. He hadn’t even realized he’d done it and went back and apologized – caught in the moment I suppose, I know Mike didn’t mean any intentional disrespect. It was only a gem in the sense that it was the end of a really long day and I hadn’t even noticed it during the fight – there’s a lot you don’t see while catching a fight through a tiny little piece of glass!

6. Mike… you made my night after a long day of “real” work and a long night of photo editing when I came across your little “victory” gem :)

7. Mike Davis says:

saw him complaining about not being able to use his gloves he brought at the weigh ins so maybe they pulled some strings.

8. InTheKnow says:

Many Commissions allow fighters to use their own gloves as long as they are inspected and OK’d by Commission people first.

Edmonton has allowed this in the past, the fact that they argued with him about something they have allowed many times is a bit strange.

And I think the “victory” gem is pretty classless, shows no respect for the fighter who stepped into the ring with him and in many Commissions would be a suspendable act of unsportsmanlike conduct.
    The fact that John Braak let this take place needs to be addressed by the Commission also.

9. I am sure Davis won and got caught up in the excitement of the win.

Love the photo, Jason.

10. BigBoi says:

LOL – commissions used to allow fighters to use their own glove when promoters were broke. I guess if you’re hard up for a main event you don’t mind letting your star batter someone around the ring with well worn in gloves.

11. Jamie Locke says:

What was the victory gem?

12. Jason says:

Pic 35 of 39 of the Davis/Knysh fight.

13. iron rhino says:

Great pics!! Best fight on night Stewart/Baker fight! I think Brad should have won, but that’s what happens when a fight goes to decision

14. Sean Quinn says:

If Mike did it intentionally, then it was kind of inappropriate. But, on the other hand, Matt Knysh is a bitch. So i think we should just forgive Mike.

15. Mike Davis says:

I stood up from mount and kinda used him instead of having feet on both ends by the look and raised my hands as I got up, Braak pointed it out and I said sorry right away got caught up and did not do it to show off, anyone who knows me will know I do not do that. I think Riggs was upset that he could not use his own gloves and they folded and let him just cause its Joe riggs.

16. Mike Davis says:

The gloves did suck they need to start having small size gloves for guys under 155 cause my pinky barely came out of the glove.

17. Mike, didn’t think for a moment that you did it intentionally or to show off :)

Just one of those things that got caught on film and after a long day gave me a moment to grin a bit :P

And haha re: gloves… maybe you just need to bulk up on your hands ;)

18. InTheKnow says:

“Mike Davis says: I stood up from mount and kinda used him instead of having feet on both ends by the look and raised my hands as I got up, Braak pointed it out and I said sorry right away got caught up and did not do it to show off, anyone who knows me will know I do not do that.”

Thanks for walking us through what happened Mike, and it sounds like an honest mistake.

It also shows a lot of character to politely tell your side of the story and too not lash back at comments,

Bravo!

19. Tyler Davis says:

i know mike personally and all i can say is that he is a terrible human being, he is cocky, arrogant, and just a all around dick

20. Tyler Davis says:

p.s. hate the pics lol wow pictures capture ALL the mistakes i make, terrible…everything.

21. InTheKnow: Told you he was a stand up guy – disregard what Tyler says ;)
    Tyler: haha – hey at least they are stills and not motion, if you hate the pics I bet you’re gonna LOVE the video!

22. Tyler Davis says:

YOU HAVE VIDEO!!!! i need that and yes i only HATE the pics cause my boxing caoch has been drilling me on having good form, hands up, feet under me, eyes open and on opponent NONE of which is shown in the pic, just more disappointed with myself if anything. And if my boxing coach see’s those he will put me hell

It was filmed for PPV… if they don’t use that one for the PPV they need their heads checked! That’s the kind of fight KOTC needs to showcase to gain new fans!

24. Mike Davis says:

i want to see this KOTC, and thanks InTheKnow, Tyler is just a shit starter what a ass. Insulting me behind the computer in the other room like a lot of forum peoples. No need to back lash at anyone someone calls me out on anything I will take what they have to say in perspective and give my side of view on it, no need to get too personal. I am not in this sport to be a dick but just to compete and have a good time. If it was not for this sport I would not know many of the people I call friends now.

25. peruvian neckbone says:

lame-o

26. Tyler Davis says:

if mike davis want to throw down ill knock his ass out too

27. Tyler Davis says:

and me and mike both consider the kynsh brothers great competitors and friends the whole red dragons team out of Edmonton are some great guys, we really hope we can great all the fights out of the way and start training with them. Mike feels really bad about that picture and did not mean to do it by any means.

28. BigBoi says:

Poor Cryin’ Ryan.

29. Sean Quinn says:

lol. Bish Knysh ;)

30. Tyler Davis says:

ryan is a nice guy, why hack on him?

31. Tyler Davis says:

sound like mike will be getting suspended for that pic GOOD ONE JASON!!! sixty day suspension, p.s. jason why you gotta take pictures all the time what is that like your job or something?

32. I’m sorry to hear that Tyler, Mike is a stand up guy, and a stand up fighter and as he mentioned previously he didn’t intend anything by this.

That being said, yes, I’m a photographer who loves to shoot the fights because I feel that those photos go along well with Cody’s play by play and can help people visualize the fight better… I can understand how this picture may have posed some controversy but Braak had already mentioned it to Mike during the fight, this isn’t the only picture of this pose that is on the Internet (http://mmanewscanada.smugmug.com/Sports/mma/KOTC-48-Michael-Davis-vs-Matt/14770430_255SF#1101163034_iopyT) – although I will concede that this would be the higher viewed one – and there is also video of the fights.

Anyways, I shoot, and I post what I shoot. My last intention is to get anyone in trouble but in the same token I’m not about to censor my images – if it’s in focus and relevant to the fight, up it goes. Heck, I even posted Robin Black going out on a stretcher at CFC 5.

I’ve responded to the forum post that Mike started on the issue and I’ll be continuing discussion (if there is further) over there.

33. Sean Quinn says:

The knysh brothers wanted a Quinn beating and then wouldnt accept the Quinn beating when it was offered.
    This angered me to no end. So, from now i long to beat the piss out of them.
    They gave me the fighting equivalent to blue balls.

34. InTheKnow says:

As far as the Edmonton Commission goes, and I try and support Commissions as most can probably guess, the decision was poorly handled in this case.

1st it was done under pressure from individuals with influence, and not with the facts of the incident, with the emails in question making it across Canada and people like Mr Braak not being included.

2nd They are supposed to have a hearing with facts presented then discussed and voted on by the Commission, from Mikes posts and emails passed my way, I’ll “assume” they didn’t.

3rd There is an appeal process I’ll also assume they didn’t bother to inform Mike about it.

This suspension was %100 political in nature.

And finally, 60 days is pretty week for a suspension in itself; when it comes down to it, most fighters only fight 3-4 times a year and have 3-4 months between fights as it is.
    60 days wouldn’t effect 95+% of fighters out there.

That being said, Mike, I’m glad it was only 60, in my opinion (after it being discussed here) you didn’t deserve anything more then just a review and a warning.

Scary, but I think it was handled better here.

Unfortunately Mike is one of the more active fighters in Alberta and 60 days probably did affect him!

Didn’t you have a fight scheduled at on of the cards in December Mike?

36. BigBoi says:

– Are you saying that there are people with influence over the Edmonton commission? That’s a pretty significant accusation to make against a city employee. Pat Reid collects quite the salary from the City of Edmonton as I hear it.

– Is there anything in the Edmonton commission rules that state they must have a meeting to implement a suspension?

– Again this is a pretty significant allegation to level against the commission. Are you saying that they are disregarding their rules and

This suspension was %100 political in nature.
    – I think you’re being unnecessarily cryptic unless you’re closer to the issue than you are comfortable admitting.

37. BigBoi: here’s a link to the ECSC site, has a PDF there of the Code of Conduct, I can’t seem to get it to load though…

38. InTheKnow says:

1. Absolutely it was done under influence, also Mr Reid is technically the head of Operations and not a Commission member. And I never accused any individuals, but rather the Commission as a whole.

Yes Mr. Reid is a City Employee, but the Commission is supposed to handle bylaw and policy including hearing/appeals and suspensions, not Mr. Reid.
    Commission members are not City employees.
    In Edmonton/Calgary at least, I am pretty sure they are volunteers.

2. All matters are supposed to be carried out at meetings and voted on record, by a minimum of 4 members.

3. Yes there is an appeal process.

“significant allegations” is a little over the top, this is just an online mma site, not like I filed a huge scathing report in the papers.
    (No offense meant by “just an online mma site” Keith!)

4. Nothing Cryptic about it, it was %100 political. And I am absolutely not comfortable relaying more, I’ve mentioned in the past that commenting on any Commission, specially in Alberta, will cost you. Edmonton has been waving the Ban stick a lot in 2010.
    I’ve been lucky enough to be cc’d emails from Edmonton/Calgary Commissions and would like it to continue.

As far as Commission go across Canada, and some parts of the USA, I am here to help with any questions regarding them. And will continue to do so as long as I can keep my identity to myself.

No Commission is infallible, just keeping on point of this conversation. I could tell you about horror stories of Commission ethics from all over North America.

“I could tell you about horror stories of Commission ethics from all over North America.”

Like letting 0- and (insert terrible number here) weight-missing, talentless palookas whose tilts end in under a minute fight over and over again?

40. Tyler Davis says:

harry balls i agree i think the worst they have done is been swayed to reduce medical suspension by promoters which leads me to think they are there for money and not the safety of the fighter. JASON i was just busting balls man i know its your job, just assumed you had sense of humor lol great pics by the way!!. Cody yes mike is very active so it did affect him, but he has a positive outlook and will be focusing on learning as much as he can. sean quinn thanks for the explanation blue balls suck, hatred is understandable

41. Tyler Davis says:

AND FIGHTERS WHO MISS WEIGHT!!!! not saying any names but somtimes with us fighters and the top dollar we get paid ( snicker snicker) a five pound advantage dont justify the sixty dollars someone theoretically recieved

42. Tyler Davis says:

big boi i think there should be a meeting to suspend someone so the person can at least defend him or her self for the suspension

43. Tyler: It’s all good and I do… I was as baffled by the suspension and it had been an extremely long week. Plus I like Mike – great guy and great fighter and hated to see him being made an example of. I do understand though, and I see that Mike understands – I just hope that this is the start of a trend in Edmonton and not just an isolated incident or two. Only time will tell.

And I totally agree with the missed weight thing – something has to be done about that over and above the purse penalty, because you are right in some cases it doesn’t amount to much.

I also agree with the suspension “hearing” – I mean Sonnen got his hearing today to discuss his suspension in Cali…

44. Tyler Davis says: