Top MMA News Canadian Bantamweight Rankings – November 2010
In June, Top MMA News said that the story at Bantamweight in Canada was Roland Delorme and guess what? He lost at CFC 6. In fact, CFC 6 threw the division upside down with wins from Eric Wilson and Eric Perez and losses by Delorme and Remi Morvan.
There are two newcomers to the list. Eric Wilson joins the top 10 due to his decision win over Delorme and Diego Wilson gets promoted from the #11 position as Jason Towns has been inactive for over a year.
There is one major concern when looking at this list – None of the top 10 have any scheduled fights! C’mon promoters and managers, get together and get these fighters on some cards!
Top 10 Canadian Bantamweights
1. Nick Denis (9-1) – Previous Rank (1) –Nick Denis has not fought since the last rankings and people are starting to wonder if we will hear from Denis any time soon. In fact, Denis will leave the Bantamweight list next time it is created if he does not get a 135 lb fight in. For now though, Denis remains the top Bantamweight in Canada. Next fight: TBD.
2. Adrian Wooley (7-1) – Previous Rank (3) –Adrian Wooley defended his W1 title in June against tough journeyman Randy Spence and for the first time since early 2008, Wooley finished off his opponent. One has to think that with teammate Sean Pierson in the UFC, Wooley might be close behind if he could win a big fight against a former WEC fighter. Maybe W1 could have him fight Abel Cullum or Chase Beebe next? Next fight: TBD
3. Roland Delorme (6-1) – Previous Rank (2) – Leg lock specialist Eric Wilson did something no one else has done in Delorme’s professional career – hand him a loss. Did Delorme take Wilson too lightly? Maybe. One knows that Delorme will be back better than ever after this setback. Next fight: TBD
4. Eric Wilson (4-0) – Previous Rank (NR) – From the ranks of the King of the Cage comes Eric Wilson. Wilson took a decision victory over Roland Delorme and vaults to #4 on the rankings. Why not #3 ahead of Delorme? Top MMA News looks at the body of work and feels that Delorme still has more wins over higher ranked fighters. Next fight: TBD
5. Hardeep Singh (10-2) – Previous Rank (4) – Singh headed to Hong Kong to fight at Legend Fighting Championship since the last rankings. There he lost to Yohan Mulia Legowo by Triangle earlier in the first. Legowo is no joke and is 7-1 according to Sherdog so Hardeep does not drop too far. Next fight: TBD
6. Clayton Sheen (5-0) – Previous Rank (6) – The King of the Cage Canada champ has been inactive for eight months with no fight scheduled in the future. Maybe KOTC could get him to defend his title against Eric Davis or maybe AFC could steal him to take on Diego Wilson? Right now, Sheen stays put at 6. Next fight: TBD
7. Eric Perez (7-2) – Previous Rank (9) – “Fight of the Night” Eric Perez keeps steadily moving up the Bantamweight ladder. Up from number 9, Perez showed the world that he is not just a brawler at CFC 6. He displayed a solid ground game in his decision win over Remi Morvan. Next fight: TBD.
8. Diego Wilson (5-0) – Previous Rank (NR) – Wilson debuts on the top 10 despite not winning a fight since the June Rankings. Wilson is a top fighter and was previously ranked in the Featherweight top 10. Diego is a top talent out of Victoria. Look for big things from him in 2011. Next fight: TBD
9. Remi Morvan (7-5) – Previous Rank (10) – Morvan is 1-1 since the June rankings. He first beat Chance Whalen in a tuneup fight at WRECK but then lost a tough decision to Eric Perez at CFC 6. Morvan showed talent and heart in the Perez loss after injuring his ribs via a Perez knee late in the first round and still gutting it out to the end of the fight. Morvan hints at fighting at WRECK in January but nothing is confirmed. Next fight: TBD.
10. Ryan Diaz (13-13) – Previous Rank (5) – After losing t0 Reuban Duran at the KOTC since the last rankings, the Lion headed to Strikeforce to face Chris Gruetzemacher. Gruetzemacher, 6-1, is no slouch and he stopped Diaz in the first. Diaz has been slowly dropping out of these rankings, a win is need to stay in the Top 10 or a hungry up and comer may take his spot. Next fight: TBD
Fighters who dropped out of Top 10 – Sean Quinn, Jason Towns(inactivity)
Out of the Top 10:
Sean Quinn (4-4)
Josh Hill (4-0)
Mike Hong (3-1-1)
Brent Franczuz (3-1)
Not Considered Due to Inactivity: