Back to the UFC for the Thrashing Machine

Hague knocked out Travis Wiuff in his last fight. (photo by Jason Bouwmeester|pixelens.com)

A week ago, Top MMA News heard rumors that Tim “The Thrashing Machine” Hague was off the December Aggression MMA card and headed back to the UFC.  However, the Thrashing Machine would only confirm that he was off the Aggression MMA card.  Now, MMAFighting.com has confirmed with sources close to the fight that Tim Hague is heading back to the UFC.

Hague will be appearing on the UFC Fight for the Troops card on January 22 against The Ultimate Fighter 10 competitor Matt Mitrione.  After being released after losing to Joey Beltran, Hague quickly got reinstated by the UFC after impressive knockout victories over Zak Jensen and Travis Wiuff.

Mitrione is coming off of a win over the same Joey Beltran to bring his record to 3-0 in the UFC.

Join the forum discussion on this post

43 Responses to “ Back to the UFC for the Thrashing Machine ”

1. ERE says:

This should be excellent =D

2. Rowbo says:

I’m excited for Tim. I hope he takes this fight very seriously.

3. BigBoi says:

Congrats to Tim! Dana never makes a match where he doesn’t win both ways. If they’re bringing him in against Meathead it means they feel Tim’s ready for another push.

4. Jamie Locke says:

Best of luck to Tim on this one. I hope he gets the W and secures his spot in the UFC HW ranks.

5. mark says:

TOUGH MATCH UP FOR TIM. NO EASY FIGHTS. BEST OF LUCK

6. MFC FAN #1 says:

Can the UFC not find heavyweightS? Hague is 1-3 in the UFC and only looked good in the one win.

Really MFC Fan…. did you not watch the Tuchscherer fight? Tim won that fight!

8. MFC FAN #1 says:

It was close for sure.

9. gd up says:

stfu mfc fan..can the mfc not find hw or what!??!

mfc should worry about filling seats lol

10. MFC FAN #1 says:

MFC NUMBER 1 IN THE COUNTRY BY MILES. MILES

11. Phil Baroni says:

lets hope tim is in “shape” like his last fight and doesnt come in looking like larry holmes

12. Bigtoe says:

Tim should have never taken his last UFC fight, unless it was against Larry Holmes (Thank Phil, you made my day).

I hope Tim is working his takedowns, he shouldn’t have a problem if he gets Meathead is on his back.

Does anyone know where Meathead is training? His boxing was much more crisp and his footwork was 100 times better than his previous fights!

I hope Tim puts together a smart gameplan and sticks to it. I would recommend a good ol’ fashion dirty box / GnP against the cage.

13. vayne says:

at the end of the day tim is still 1-3 in the ufc, matt is probably better in every aspect of mma and has shown he can go 3 hard rounds at a very fast pace for a heavyweight

Tim was on the wrong end of bad decisions twice. He could easily be 3-1, with 3 wins ( a sub and 2 decisions) and one quick KO loss (those things happen in MMA man). So he’s one judge away from a 3-1 UFC record. Close, no?

Anyone who thinks Tim doesn’t belong there is strangely bias or has not been paying attention.

Good luck Tim. Do what you do and have fun man.

15. JayKay says:

Robin Black is suck a dick! I can’t beleive he would come on here and post insulting thing like that about Tim. I hope Tim punches you in the head Robin Black, I really do.

16. bigtoe says:

I 100 percent agree with Robin. He destroyed Wiuff and for any of the hardcore fans you know Wiuff is no joke! I think Monson would agree.

Tim focused and in shape has all the tools to put a rookie like Meathead in his place. Anyone basing their opinion solely on the Beltran fight you are going to be surprised. Download his last fights agains Wiuff and Beltran, two different Tim’s showed up.

IMO Wiuff would take out Meathead.

Cheers

17. LBoutin says:

“Tim was on the wrong end of bad decisions twice. He could easily be 3-1, with 3 wins ( a sub and 2 decisions)”

LOL, I love when people say this.

His fight with Beltran was not a robbery or bad decision. He lost a unanimous decision. The only thing weird about that fight was that 2 judges gave Beltran the third round (Which Hague clearly won) Other than that he was easily out boxed in the first 2 rounds.

The fight with Tuchscherer was scored 29-28, 29-28, 28-28. It was a super close fight, but the judges all saw it the same way. Hague losing the first 2 rounds and coming on strong in the end. Could have gone either way probably, but definetly wasn’t a robbery or close decision.

“one quick KO loss (those things happen in MMA man)”

True, things like that do happen. But so do things like catching a kickboxer in a guillotine after getting lit up standing. It goes both ways.

I only bring this up because I’m tired of guys making excuses.

Hague is a good fighter, he ran into a few guys better than him got let go, then fought his way back into the big show, he belongs there again. Hopefully this run goes better than the last one.

18. Well put Luke. Jensen was giving it pretty good to Tim as well before the knees got him. (those things happen in MMA man).

It is my hope that the Hague who dominated an extremely tough Travis Wiuff shows up to fight Mitrione. It was Hague’s best performance, IMO.

19. LBoutin says:

I wouldn’t go as far as to say Hague dominated Wiuff. They traded a couple punches, nobody really landed anything, Wiuff hit a nice throw, landed a couple punches from on top, Hague wrapped up Wiuff’s arms and stalled for a stand up. Then Hague landed a hard right that put Wiuff down. Good win but far from a domination, just landed a clean shot early. Mitrione looked really good in his past couple fights, he’ll be a good test for Hague.

When a guy is 1-3 but a judgement away or a punch or 2 or away from being from 3-1 it is ridiculous to suggest they don’t belong.

That’s all I’m sayin.

Tim belongs there.

21. Jamie Locke says:

If you look at it that way Robin, any fight is one punch away, and many many many are a judge’s decision away…

I don’t think those are good arguments.

I think Tim is a great fighter, and deserves to be in the big show.

But anything can ghappen in any mma fight, to say the what ifs of every fight, they could all go either way…. Like if Brock had of landed the takedown of Caine in side control the fight would have gone another direction, or if The ref had of stopped the Carwin/ Brock fight, we’d have a different champ, if the judges had of called the Shogun/ machida fight differently we would have had a new champ sooner..

These are all just what ifs and don’t really count towards Tim’s skill level…

22. TimHague says:

Pass judgement after jan. 22. I’ll be in shape, and I’ll submit Mitrione.

23. Jamie Locke says:

I predict a second round sub for Tim

24. It’s funny because Tim’s last 2 fights with Aggression he has predicted the exact outcomes of his fights. If he says sub i believe him. It’s almost eerie when he gets a “feeling”.

25. robin black says:

“Like if Brock had of landed the takedown of Caine in side control the fight would have gone another direction, or if The ref had of stopped the Carwin/ Brock fight, we’d have a different champ”

Yeah. You’re making my point. Each or Lesnar, Velasquez and Carwin belong at the top. Each is a punch away from being the champ.

Because, if you take a bunch of ELITE fighters, they are all so close in skill. They all belong there.

3 of Tim’s 4 fights in the UFC were all VERY close. Because he is on that level.

Put a guy who is not at that level in those 4 fights. It will not be close. We will not be having this conversation.

My point is, there are a few heavyweights out of the thousands in the world good enough to hang at the top and win or lose close decisions in the UFC. Tim is one of them.

Geez.

26. Jamie Locke says:

OK, I understand your point.

I just don’t like the “if this happened than this guys would have won” arguments for judging skill levels. I hear it alot, especialy when watching fights. Someone always says “aww, if that punch had of landed”, the thing is, the punch didn’t land.

One of the funnest things about watching this sport, is everyone has a punchers chance to win.

I think Tim needs to go in there, get this sub victory and make it a quick show. The last thing he needs is to go to another decision…..NEVER leave it in the hands of the judges…

I guess I will meet you tomorrow in Vic Robin…

Yessir, I’ll see ya in Victoria!

One last friendly thought: “Everyone” doesn’t have a puncher’s chance. We all say this, but it isn’t true.

I do not have a puncher’s chance against BJ Penn. I don’t.

I train boxing every day for 3 years, with one of the best boxing coaches in Canada. 2 of my training partners are Canadian champs. I have 7 pro MMA fights. But I’m here to tell you that I don’t have a puncher’s chance against BJ Penn.

I could fight him 40 times and I would not knock him out.

Yet, fat guys on the couch actually believe they have “a puncher’s chance” against GSP/Anderson Silva/whoever.

We have to change this to “even UFC first-timers MIGHT have a puncher’s chance” or “he’s proven he belongs in the UFC, he probably has a puncher’s chance” or “every elite athlete could have a puncher’s chance”.

Cuz, like I said “everyone” doesn’t have a puncher’s chance against the elite.

29. Jamie Locke says:

Robin Black with the KO win over BJ Penn….

30. Most people DON’T have KO power.

People who have demonstrated they have 1 punch KO power have a punchers chance.

otherwise Punching is just 1 way to win in this sport. A more appropriate line is, anybody has a chance to win in MMA due to the multitude of ways you can win or lose.

Jamie Locke says:
    November 5, 2010 at 1:27 pm

“you never know, you could get in there, have a running start and throw an overhand right like a baseball pitch and land it right on the jawline…

Robin Black with the KO win over BJ Penn….”

Now you, I like. :)

32. JayKay says:

LOL, that sounds like the Tim Hague right hand of doom punch. My arm is still sore.

PS – Does anyone else want to punch Robin?

I do.

34. Jamie Locke says:

That’s more of what I was going for with the “punchers chance” MAD.

I mean, it only takes one mistake by one guy to lose, or catch a guy with a good shot, or get ahold of a limb for the win…

It still requires some skill.

35. zach b says:

LBoutin for your comments about tim hague … after the fight with chris, Joe Rogan said it was the worst decision he had ever seen…. i agree with the Beltran fight … the wrong tim hague showed up. As for not dominating Wiuff he kneed him a few times then Wiuff took him down where Tim did not allow him to do anything then KO.D him !!!! you should not even be allowed to watch MMA.

36. Phil Baroni says:

robin could prob beat all of us up except the other pro mma fighters on here.and he is right i have no punchers chance at all if i fought anyone from the ufc today they would all ko me in 20 seconds or less.

37. LBoutin says:

Ok Zach, I just watched the fight again just in case I was remembering the wrong fight (Hague vs Wiuff).

Fight start with Wiuff landing a punch, then they clinch, Hague throws a knee that doesn’t connect (hard to tell if it was a knee of a kick attempt). Wiuff lands an uppercut, Hague misses another knee, then tries a flying knee that also misses) it’s still pretty cool to see a guy his size throw stuff like that). Wiuff then takes him down, lands a couple nothing shots and Hague toes him up for a stand-up. Hague then
    lands a huge shot that drops Wiuff to his knee’s and another for good measure.

Like I said previously, good win for Hague, but it’s not like he walked in and totally dominated Wiuff. Fight was virtually even until the KO.

38. LBoutin says:

As for the Joe Rogan quote, you really shouldn’t take that to heart. Joe is notorious for picking a favorite and only commenting/seeing what they are doing in the fight (And God help you if you’re fighting a guy using the rubber guard, then you have no chance)

Hague-Tuscherer was what it was, a very close fight. mmajunkie.com scored it for Tuscherer, Sherdog scored it for Hague and Douglas Crosby (The judge that scored it a draw) actually posted a nice little write up on how he judged it and why (R1= 10-9 Tusch, R2= 10-9 Tusch, R3= 10-8 Hague)

Its kinda ridiculous to say that any really close fight that goes to a decision was a robbery either way.

39. O` Papagaio says:

MFC isn`t MILES ahead…KMS maybe…not miles.

Tim deserves this shot. I think he matches up well with Meathead. Interweb rumours state that Mitrione might be the UFC fighter who`s looking to jump ship to pro wrestling. If this is correct, will his head be into training for this fight 100% or will he be looking ahead to the possibly bigger payday?

All I know is this matchup has potential for fireworks.

Lastly, I would like to say that I`m a fan of Robin Black.

40. robin black says:

Thank you sir. Very kind.

Yeah, I wonder if Mitrione is the guy going to WWE? If so, Tim, send him there with a big L.

41. (Fake) Phil Baroni says:

robin black is p4p in canada and would drop hague with a huge high kick if he was 265 :)

42. Chris Ladouceur says:

IMO Tim will win most likly with a submission in the second. Matt is a very good athelete, has good stand up and seems to always be in shape. Tim will be in shape and has good stand up too. However his ground game is more develpoed. This will be a very entertaining fight. With all the past talk and Tims pervious fights in the UFC…people should just let sleeping dogs lie. Dana White says it best” Never leave anything up to the judges”

43. O` Papagaio says:

its since been shot down that Mitrione is the UFC fighter looking to jump to the WWE. (rumour has it is someone from his camp though)

Either way…as much as I`ve enjoyed Mitrione`s standup in the octagon, I`m pulling for the Thrashing Machine in this one.