Mark Holst Released by the UFC

After a few unfavorable matchups, top Canadian lightweight Mark “Boots” Holst has been released following his submission loss to UFC newcomer Paul Sass at UFC 119. Holst debuted at the Ultimate Fighter Finale for Season 11 against John Gunderson and lost a frustrating decision where Gunderson was able to get top position and essentially “Lay and Pray” for the victory.

When contacted by Top MMA News, Holst’s manager Pat Cooligan confirmed the rumors that Mark had been released.

36 Responses to “ Mark Holst Released by the UFC ”

1. chris says:

not surprized the kid aint got nothing to offer the ufc ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha money and frinds can get you in but if you got no talent you will get cut ..

2. Remz says:

Hey Chris,
    Why don’t you step up and fight Mark next. He can show you first hand why he will be back in the UFC in no time. Just watch and see.

3. Johnny Utah says:

He is a talented Fighter with out a doubt, but he’s not at the UFC level.
    He maybe One of the best fighters out of Ottawa but its a big world out there.
    Im pretty sure we can all agree that he’s not ready for the UFC.

4. donjesse99 says:

hey chris fucking hater what company have you fought for ‘your mom to stay of the street’ step up or shut up biatchhh!!!!! when are we gonna see you fight oh yeah your one of those undefeated net fighters biatchhhhh!!!!!!

5. Remz says:

I have trained with UFC/WEC fighters and have seen him train with them and I know he is at the UFC level. He’s 25. He has a lifetime to get back to the UFC. With his experience now, he is going to shake up the Canadian LW division. Just give it time… He will get his second chance to prove all the haters wrong.

6. Doerksen has been released twice by the UFC. It’s simple, just keep winning and you’ll be back.

Mark will soon see this as just another opportunity to improve.

Guys like him are in this for life. Watch him fight his way back.

And I bet getting there a second time will feel even better than getting there the first time.

8. Johnny Utah says:

Absolutley he knows he has holes in his game, so now he needs to go back to square one and fix them and come back stronger.
    I have no doubt he wont be back.

Look at Patrick Cote he didn’t take the easy way there either.

he lost his first couple fights

9. Joe King says:

He is a talented Fighter with out a doubt, but he’s not at the UFC level, Johnny Utah

I have trained with UFC/WEC fighters and have seen him train with them and I know he is at the UFC level, Remz

I would have to agree with Johnny Utah’s comment but also agree with Remz following statement “He has a lifetime to get back to the UFC” but not with the first.

Mark has great potential and great skills as well, unfortunately just cause you train or do well with WEC/UFC vets or fighters does not mean you are ready for the UFC. Training and Competing are two different things.

The psychological aspect of fighting is not found in training. How many time have you heard your trainer says “don’t hurt each other this is only training” but yet in the cage/ring it is the opposite.

my 2 cents

Good luck Mark and OAMA on your quest back to the UFC.

10. Jbird says:

Boots,

Its all good, a little more time honing the skills and you will be back there in no time. Act as if it is impossible to fail.

11. Gabriel Boivin says:

Mark will be back.
    Post analysis of his UFC fights are already done. Lessons learned are in archives and will be used.
    Training Plans are being developed to improve his performance and compete into the next battles.
    It will lead to a new contract with the UFC.
    The execution phase is about to start.
    Who wants to be next on Mark’s path to victories?
    Would Chrissy step out of his trench?

12. donjesse99 says:

To gabriel.,… chrissy thats funny stuff…. a wise man once said HATERS are MOTIVATORS

13. Pat Gribs says:

You should all just ignore chirs, all he ever does when he posts here is either bash Boots or hang on Showtime’s balls.

Mark will be back, he’s young and has all the time in the world to do so.

14. Dave says:

Eye of the tiger Mark!!! You have already done WAY more than most!!!! And, you will be back!!

15. Bigpetey says:

I don’t get why people have to put others down. Even if you have “made it” yourself, it makes no sense to rip on a guy.I have never seen Mark be anything but humble and grateful in the way he handles himself and represents the sport.
    I think its great Mark made it to the UFC. I also agree with Robin that it will be even sweeter when he makes his return.He’s had a taste and I believe he will train his ass off to get back. I look forward to seeing Mark and other local fighters achieve their dreams.Enough of the hating, its such a waste of time and energy that could be better spent elsewhere.Just my two cents.

“I look forward to seeing Mark and other local fighters achieve their dreams.”

Seriously. Isn’t it a GOOD thing to see others work hard and do well in life? Isn’t it positive and inspiring and shit?

At the expense of sounding all hippie-douche-ish and shit, life is happier if you look at stuff positively. Being positive and happy for others feels good.

Man.

Wow. Totally hippie-doche-ish.

That’s ok.

18. well put, Mr. Black.

Nothing quite as sweet as seeing someone work their ass off and get rewarded for it.

19. CR says:

Hey Robin, I saw you on OTR the other night. Are you going to be a regular on the show? Is Landsberg as big a douche in real life as he is on the show?

Hey CR

Landsberg is actually really cool, really fun. All the staff and interns there love him (and not that pretend cordial shit people do with a boss they don’t like, the really like him), which is telling. He cracks a ot of jokes.
    The dude is REALLY good at his job. He makes guests feel comfortable and gets the best out of them.

It seems like I’m becoming a regular guest on there talkin about the UFC. I’m going on again the week of the 15th, after Marquart/Okami and just before Rampage/Machida. I really have fun there. And I’m learning a lot from Landsberg about TV.
    After years of working in TV you just start to realize how complex it is if you want to do a good job. And when it comes to TV for MMA you don’t want to screw anything up.

21. Bigpetey says:

Nothing “Hippy or douchey” when it comes to being positive Robin, don’t be ashamed!
    Anyone who wants to laugh at someone or make fun of them for trying to do something positive has never known the hard work it takes to do it.It is easier to be a cynical, finger pointing bastard than to stand alone trying to do something to make a difference.So boring, safe and uninspired to live like a troll.

22. chris says:

no this will be a asume fight for real mark holst vs showtime wreck mma ..fucccccccckk what a war this will be. lets get em show

23. Jamie Locke says:

Hey there’s Chris….

You got that 50$?

24. Sean Quinn says:

lol

25. BigBoi says:

fuuuuuck, sowtyme is have his hand full with boots for realz yo. he have make weight for now and we now thiws is hard. boots walk al ovr shootyme boi!

Huh, that’s actually kind of fun.

26. Pat Gribs says:

regardless of the weight issues etc showtime’s an entertaining fighter, who does posess good standup… it’s gonna be a war. looking forward to it.

27. Jamie Locke says:

Do you guys have a pecentage of purse plan lined up for when he misses weight Pat? Or will it be the standard commission penelty of 20%?

I say make Chris pay the penalty for douching out on his original bet.
    BTW Alex is the guy I am buying the ticket for, as I said I would pay double if this fight ever went down.
    I keep my word. Unlike some people….

29. Pat Gribs says:

what are you asking me for Locke?
    I think you have me confused with someone else?

30. chris says:

31. Jamie Locke says:

I thought you were Boot’s coach/ manager Pat.. Not the case?

32. Pat Cooligan is Boots trainer/manager.

33. Jamie Locke says:

Ahhhhh, Cooligan. I got the two Pats confused. My bad Gribs, disregard.

“the fight never happend there was no bet like wow man can you move on with you life …..”

Here you go Chris….

35. Pat Gribs says:

no I’m def not Pat Cooligan…completely different dude here

NP

36. O` Papagaio says:

To say Mark isn`t a UFC level fighter is nuts. He didn`t get outclassed in either fight.

In the Gunderson fight, he went three rounds with a lay & pray wrestler trying to work submissions from the bottom. The UFC weren`t unhappy with his effort. It`s been noted that he got a secondary paycheck a week or so after the fight which matched his initial purse. (essentially, his would-be win bonus)

He also got some praise from Joe Rogan during his fight with Paul Sass for recognizing and escaping Sass` attacks off the ground. (until he got caught) He realizes that he should have let his hands go some more, but things happen in the heat of a fight on the biggest stage in the world.

I believe Boots will put together a few wins and make it back to the UFC.

Let the Haters be Motivators!!