Craig Brown vs Chase Degenhardt at TFC Devastation

The Fight Club (TFC), one of the top fight promotions in Canada, is proud to bring MMA fans DEVASTATION” on Friday, December 10th, live from the Shaw Conference Centre in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The event will feature ten bouts including two TFC Title fights featuring several top MMA superstars, including former TFC World Light-Heavyweight Champion Victor Valimaki, top TFC middleweight contenders Craig Brown & Chase Dagenhardt, and top Welterweight contenders Sheldon Westcott , Jordan McKay & Rio Wells. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster, or (780) 991-5670.

The co-main event will feature a rematch between Ottawa, Ontario native Craig “Farmer” Brown (7-3) taking on Chase Dagenhardt (8-1), who hails from Lethbridge, Alberta, for the vacant TFC Canadian Middleweight Title. Cody Krahn, who was originally scheduled to meet Dagenhardt for the title, was injured in a recent loss to Eliot Duff and has been scratched. Dagenhardt, whos’ only loss was to Craig “Farmer” Brown at WRECK MMA back in April is otherwise undefeated.

Also featured at “DEVASTATION” will be former TFC World Light-Heavyweight Champion Victor Valimaki taking on Minneapolis, MN native Karl Knothe (17-6) in a Light Heavyweight bout. Valimaki, who lost his strap to current Champ Martin “Stress” Desilets in March of this year and then lost the rematch at TFC 11, will be looking to rebound at “DEVASTATION”. Karl Knothe, who trains with Sergio Cunha at The Minnesota Fight Factory in Burnside Minnesota, has won 11 straight fights since August 2007.

The fight card includes:
• 185 lbs: Craig Brown (7-3) vs. Chase Dagenhardt (8-1) for the CND MW.
• 205 lbs: Victor Valimaki (16-8) vs. Karl Knothe (17-6)
• 170 lbs. Sheldon Westcott (5-1) vs. TBA
• 170 lbs: Rio Wells (4-0) vs. Louis Carles (7-2)
• 170 lbs: Jordan McKay (5-1) vs. TBA
• 135 lbs: Sy Jewett (2-0) vs. Anna Barone (1-2)
• 155 lbs: Steve Beaumont (1-0) vs. Eric McKay (1-0)
• 170 lbs: Mike Scarcello (1-0) vs. Brandon Dumais (0-0)

For more information, please visit our website at

Join the forum discussion on this post

18 Responses to “ Craig Brown vs Chase Degenhardt at TFC Devastation ”

1. Jamie Locke says:

Why have a guy coming off a loss fight for the title? Just becuase it makes a good rematch?

Hopefully Deg wins his next one or it makes for a weak title fight…. I think anyway….

I’d like to see this rematch, I’m just not sure having it be for the title is a great idea from the promoters stand point.

2. Jamie – the original fight was set to be Cody vs Chase… so his last fight would have been a loss as well. Mind you he is fighting Jordan Mein in Lethbridge in early November – be interesting to see the outcome of that fight. Hopefully Chase doesn’t lose that too and/or get injured!

Personally I think if you’re set up/agree to fight a title fight you shouldn’t fight elsewhere until the title fight.

What’s the second title fight?

3. Ah didn’t realize Brown lost since he beat Degenhardt…

I know the second title fight is not Mitch Clarke, he told me at Aggression he wasn’t returning until the new year.

Perhaps a welterweight title fight? McGillivray?

Farmer wins in the first round. For sheezee…

6. Interesting Cody – who’d you have to fight McGillivray?

7. Brad Wall says:

Chase, is looking forward to Redemption. The last fight against Brown, was by far Degenhardt’s worst performance. Brown is talented and a class act so we are looking forward to this match, and yes can’t look past the Mein fight.

Personally I’d like to see Sheldon Westcott vs McGillivray but I think Sheldon said on here before that they’re friends and wouldn’t fight.

If not maybe bring in Sean Pierson if he beats Goodall possibly Simon Marini. I’m sure there are other guys out there but those are a few that come to mind for me!

…Or perhaps Victor Bachmann if you wanna keep it to guys who have had success in the promotion, another possibility is Advin Omic.

10. Jamie Locke says:

I agree J, once signed on for a title fight, you shouldn’t be able to fight anyone else until the title situation is sorted out.

This would be the promoter of the title fight’s perogative though.

Either way, I don’t think it makes the title look that good when guys who are coming off losses get to fight for it.

It was always my understanding that you want your best guys, who have beaten the best competition to be corwned as champions. In this case, if Brown wins, Hinchliffe beat him right before his title fight, if Deg losses to Mein, same thing…Either Hinch or Mein could easily discredit the “champ’s” claim that he’s the best.

It doesn’t really matter to me personally, it was always just my understanding that that’s what titles were for. A trophy, belt, ring, cup or some kind of token stating that this person has beat the best and therefore is the best.

11. Recent losers getting title shots happen all the time even in the UFC. Happens due to injury, in rematches of close fights, because they are the best available contender, and because they are the most popular (sell tickets). Cases in point:

1. Brett Rogers Strikeforce 2010 – Loses to Fedor, gets Strikeforce title shot against Overeem
    2. BJ Penn UFC 2006 – Loses to GSP, Gets title shot against Hughes (due to GSP injury)
    3. Randy Couture UFC 2002/03 – Loses to Barnett, fights Rodriguez for HW title and loses, then fights Liddell for interim LHW title and wins.
    4. Randy Couture UFC 2006 – Loses to Liddell at LHW, gets HW title shot against Sylvia.
    5. Shogun UFC 2010 – Loses to Machida at LHW, immediate rematch against Machida and wins title.

Did the wins take off any shine from those belts? NO. Couture was lauded for being the first to win two belts in two divisions when he beat Liddell in 2003. Couture was celebrated when he beat the very unpopular Tim Sylvia and won a title as a 40+ year old.

Don’t forget Hendo… Came back to the UFC and lost a LHW title fight to Rampage and then Lost a MW title fight to Anderson Silva in his next fight.

13. Good one. It happens quite a bit and I am sure there are even more if someone digs into it.

14. Dean Panas says:

I’ve had a couple good conversations with Mark Sinclair over the past few weeks. He has some great plans for his titles and I hope things come together for TFC. I definitely don’t want to spoil anything for him by breaking news he told me in confidence, but things could be very interesting!
    I think it is VERY important to have the right people fight for your titles. I don’t just mean guys with good records and on winning streaks. I mean people who you want to represent your company should they win your title.
    What good is it to have a champ that is 12-0, great in the cage, but not known to the local casual fan. That person may be impressive to people who “know” MMA, but to the local fans who fill the seats and buy tickets to see their buddies fight, he might not mean that much.

15. Jamie Locke says:

I am sure things will work out for TFC. The fact that they’re still putting on shows after the debacle in the sdummer shows that Sinclair is here to stay.

I just like seeing the best guys compete for titles, and I’m not sure that these two are the best of their time to be called champions. This is just my opinion, which really deosn’t matter, just like I thought Gray Maynard should have fought BJ for the title before Frankie Edgar, my opinion didn’t matter and life goes on.

I do want to see this rematch, I just don’t think it’s championship caliber.

I’d like to see a Canadaian promotion cater to Canadian MMA rankings, and hardcore fans. It would be good if a travelling promotion (right now KOTC is the only one that fits the mold) held shows in various cities around Canada using top ranked Canadian fighters for their main events, and using the local guys for the undercards (KOTC no longer fits the mould).

I only mention KOTC because they can put on a show anywhere with their resources, not that they put any production money into the shows, or care about solid main events and top ranked fighters.

CFC would be a good show to do exactly what I’m talking about. Using the Canadian rankings to provide top quality match-ups that matter. I think it has to be a travelling show, so they can still use the local fighters form the host city to fill their cards, but be able to bring in the top names for main events.

This way we can have true national rankings, and true national titles.

16. Darren Owen says:

You forgot the most recent, Penn vs Edgar. I do think it’s a bit different when your talking about the best on the planet except for Strikeforce, I truly believe they do a horrible job of running a promotion.

17. Jason says:

Interesting read – good points all around.

18. Jamie Locke says:

I agree with DO that Strikefore is a mess.

I think it is completely different when the fight is an immediate rematch. These re-matches are simply stating that either the fight was controversial, went to decision or the losser of the fight is still concidered to be the best in the division. In all the above examples, I think everyone will agree thatb the fights were the best that could be made, and made sence at the time. With expection of course to the Strikeforce HW div, their title picture will always be a mess until the promotion inevitably sinks….