Kang vs Kim in W1 Main Event

W1 has signed the main event for their June 19th show in Montreal.  Headlining the card will be Canada’s Denis Kang who will face Dae Won Kim.

After losing to Michael Bisping at UFC 105, Kang (32-12-1) was set to face Vernon White in the last W1 main event.  Unfortunately, Denis was forced to pull out due to a neck injury.  Now, the former PRIDE and UFC star will take on Korea’s Dae Won Kim on June 19th.

Dae Won Kim has an 11-5 record and last fought on the DREAM 3 card where he lost to Melvin Manhoef in the first round.

14 Responses to “ Kang vs Kim in W1 Main Event ”

1. Dave says:

This fight should be a main event in Korea, like if Spirit MC were still around, not in W-1.

Would have liked to have seen him fight a more well known and successful vs “names” fighter. A bigger free agent.
    I understand that Kang is probably looking for a slightly easier fight as a “comeback” but…
    first Tiger White, now Dae Won Kim…

3. James says:

Bobby – I disagree. This was a great decision by W1. They are obviously trying to appeal to more than the local viewer.

Kang is fighting in his hometown and Kim is a legit fighter….who should they have picked up?

Problem 1 is they need to appeal to their local viewer. From what I heard their last card pulled in around 6-800 fans.
    Also Kim doesn’t appeal to the wider audience for the most part, he has pretty much no name recognition outside of the Orient.

Sure Kim is a legit fighter, I’m not questioning that, what I am questioning is Kim being the right fighter.
    1) Kim has never beaten anyone of note (Marcelo Garcia doesnt count, its not bjj)
    2) Kim is an “upper level” guy of the type that Kang defeated to make his name and big run over seas.
    3) Kim won’t have fought in 2 years.

Matt Horwich, Jason MacDonald, Alex Schlemnko, Doug Marshall, Jason Lambert, Izuru Takeuchi and Jordan Radev, Andre Gusmao, Hector Ramirez etc
    Others Crafton Wallace, Brandon Melendez, Kala Hose.
    Tons more.

Just my opinion of course, but poor main event and poor choice. Kang should be used better.

5. James says:

Point well argued. We will see what the rest of their card looks like.

Last card was solid. Hope this one is too.

This card should be called W1 “Spirit MC”

7. James says:

Maybe Kang asked for him. I’m sure he has a say in who his opponent is.

As for Spirit MC….let’s wait and see who is on the rest of the card before you judge.

LOL, you’re right about my Spirit MC comment.

I wouldn’t doubt Kang wanted a fight like that, he loves to smash Korean guys. Shit he’s smashed Jae Young Kim 3 times lol (3 fights in just over 2.5min, lol)

9. WillG says:

Damn, this Bobby guy must be one awesome promoter or fighter to be better at running an m.m.a. organisation than the guys at w1 and a better fighter than Dennis Kang. Do you train UFC and wear affliction by any chance?

Sorry WillG I didn’t know I wasn’t allowed to make comments with back up. Sorry I will just agree and cheer on every decision made by organizations and fighters.

11. All comments are appreciated. This discussion has been awesome!

By the way, Bobby does not trane UFC or wear Affliction, but he knows more about MMA than almost anyone in Canada west of Jordan Breen.

(and outside of Winnipeg)

lol :)
    Thanks Keith, I appreciate it man.

I’m to lazy to trane. Also I don’t got any Affliction or Tap Out, but I do own a bunch of Hayabusa, also some other stuff like Sprawl, Forty Thieves, etc.
    I’m not a fan of skulls and chains etc.

13. BC Bud says:

I can’t find confirmation of this fight anywhere. Did W-1 announce this fight or any other ones on the card?

14. Top MMA News’ Sean McManus got it from sources close to the fight. This was not officially announced by W1.