Top MMA News – Canadian Featherweight Rankings – February 2010
This round of rankings finds a new number one fighter for the second consecutive division. For Bantamweights, Nick Denis knocked Adrian Wooley out of top spot. Now its Nick Denis’ turn to be knocked down to number two as Mark Hominick returned to action in the WEC and reclaimed his rightful crown as the Canadian Featherweight King.
The unfortunate victim of the entrance of the previously unranked Hominick is Adam Lorenz. Lorenz fought and beat journeyman Tim Tamaki at Aggression 2. However, Guillaume Lamarche beat Tamaki and Randy Steinke, Graham Spencer beat a tough Wesley Neil, and inactive fighters like Tristan Johnson and Diego Wilson have not fallen off the chart yet.
Watch out Featherweights! Another top 145er will be returning to action prior to the next rankings. Antonio “Pato” Carvalho might make these rankings next time they get updated.
Top Canadian Featherweights
1. Mark Hominick (17-8) – Previous Rank (NR)– Mark Hominick owns the podium at 145. The Machine returned to action and defeated Brian Caraway in his return to the WEC. Hominick is 2-0 in the UFC with wins over Yves Edwards and Jorge Gurgel and 1-2 in the WEC. Canada’s top 145er has also beaten top Canadian’s like Ben Greer, Shane Rice, Samuel Guillet, and Ryan Diaz. Next Fight: TBD
2. Nick Denis (9-1) – Previous Rank (1)– After a strong showing in Sengoku, Nick Denis came back to Canada at the end of 2010 and recorded a pair of solid victories at Bantamweight. First, he took on the previous #5 Bantamweight Jason Towns at Aggression where he stopped Towns in the second. Then, Nick took a beating at the hands of the #4 Bantamweight Sean Quinn before turning the tide and knocking out Quinn in the first round. Nick already has two fights lined up. He returns to Featherweight to fight in Sengoku and then back to Bantamweight to fight at WRECK. Next Fight: vs Yuji Hoshino at Sengoku 12.
3. Yves Jabouin (12-5) Previous Rank (2)– Jabouin did not fight since the last rankings as he pulled out of a scheduled fight with Mark Hominick. Previously, Jabouin lost to Rafael Assuncao in the WEC in a case where a fighter looked very good in a loss and his performance forced us to rank GSP’s training partner higher than previously thought. Previously, Yves was not fighting top competition, Brad Cardinal excluded, but his WEC loss shows that he can hang with anybody and beat most! Next fight: TBD
4. William Romero (5-0) – Previous Rank (3)– The little guy from Iron Tiger is moving on to Bellator! Since the last rankings, Romero won a Muay Thai title at Fighting Spirit but has not fought MMA. Leon is a very explosive fighter who may surprise some of his Bellator opponents. Next fight: vs Patricio Pitbull at Bellator
5. Thierry Quenneville (15-8) – Previous Rank (4)– Like Denis, Jabouin and Romero, Quenneville moves down one to make room for Hominick. Thierry pulled out of a scheduled Ringside fight due to injury and now waits on the sidelines for his next fight. Next fight: TBD
6. Ben Greer (11-5) – Previous Rank (5)– The tough Greer is taking some time off since his loss in Bellator last April and will most likely drop to the inactive list by the time Top MMA News revisits these rankings. Next fight: TBD
7. Graham Spencer (5-0) – Previous Rank (9)– After beating Shawn Albrecht, Spencer went to KOTC in Vernon and beat up and comer Weslety Neil. The win over the previously unbeaten Neil vaulted Spencer two spots up the rankings. Next fight: TBD
8. Guillaume Lamarche (6-2) – Previous Rank (10)– After losing to Romero, Lamarche stormed back with wins over Randy Steinke and Tim Tamaki in Ringside since the last rankings. Like Spencer, Guillaume moves up two spots with his victories. Up next is a very interesting fight against Mitch Gagnon – a Featherweight who has remained on the fringes of the Top 10 who also has a loss to Romero. Next fight: vs Mitch Gagnon at Ringside.
9. Tristan Johnson (5-0) – Previous Rank (6)– The Nova Scotia native had a fight scheduled with Will Romero at Iroquois MMA but had to pull out due to issues of sanctioning for Ontario promotion. Top MMA News has not heard any word on Tristan’s next fight. One knows he is working hard at FitPlus alongside UFC fighter TJ Grant further developing his MMA game after his transition from boxing. Regardless, Johnson gets bumped three spots to make room for the Lamarche and Spencer. Next fight: TBD
10. Diego Wilson (4-0) – Previous Rank (7) – Diego is a tough Zuma fighter who has not fight since July. He is also moving down to Featherweight this should be his last time on the Bantamweight list. Wilson drops three spots due to inactivtiy and other fighters receiving bigger wins since the last rankings. Next fight: vs John Fyfe at AFC 2
Out of the Top 10:
Adam Lorenz (6-1) – Previous Rank (8) – Next fight: TBD
Mitch Gagnon (5-1) Next fight: vs Guillaume Lamarche for Ringside title.
Shawn Albrecht (7-3)
Len Smith (4-1)
Not Considered Due to Inactivity: