Machan and MFC Part Ways

Ryan Machan trading blows with Kajan Johnson

Ryan Machan and Maximum Fighting Championship are parting company.  Machan, who recently upset the number four ranked Kajan Johnson at MFC 23, is undefeated in eight fights at the MFC.  However, Machan and MFC President Mark Pavelich could not agree on financial terms or the length of the contract so the two have agreed to part ways just when it appeared Machan was in title contention.

A big sticking point in the discussions was a clause that required Machan to get written permission from the MFC to fight for other promotions for the year after he had completed his four fight/sixteen month contract exclusive to the MFC.  Machan also desired a nominal increase in pay for his future fights which included a fight with Derrick Noble for MFC 24.

“I am a disappointed in Mark for letting me go over such small details,” said Machan, who has an 10-3 career record.

Mark Pavelich confirmed to Top MMA News that “We (The MFC) are not signing Machan.”  Pavelich further stated that all of Machan’s wins came on the undercard of MFC events.

Machan’s manager and former UFC fighter Jason MacDonald felt that Ryan simply could not accept the deal. “He was 8-0 and his next fight was going to be on the main card, yet he was not going to get any more money than he did for his last three or four fights at MFC.  MacDonald continued, “The UFC does not even require fighters to get written permission to fight elsewhere after their contract has run out.” MacDonald, himself, recently relieved Mark Pavelich of management duties and hired a new one who is busy looking for fights to get Jason back to the UFC.  “I felt that there was a conflict with Mark representing both me and the MFC so I got new representation.  I am still open to returning to the MFC if the money and the opponent is right for me.”

For his part, Mark Pavelich does not want his MFC organization to be a farm system to the UFC.  As such, he is placing exclusivity clauses into his contracts.  The MFC does not wish to build stars to have them run off to the UFC.  That is in direct contrast to many fighter’s dreams, like Ryan Machan, of fighting for the biggest show in the world – the UFC.  As well, the MFC has gained a reputation for signing some young fighters to lengthy deals only to put them on the shelf for a long time after a loss.  An example is Machan’s MFC 20 opponent Simon Marini.  Marini lost to Machan last February 2009 and has not fought anywhere over the past year since that loss.

While disappointed, Machan has gone ahead to schedule his next fight at Jason MacDonald’s Pure Fighting Championship in Red Deer on March 12.  No opponent has been named at this time.  Ryan is also in talks with a new promotion that is scheduled to debut this spring.

Related Posts:

Machan Deserves Spotlight after 8 Winshttp://topmmanews.com/2009/12/26/machan-deserves-spotlight-after-8-mfc-wins/

________________________

* photos by Jason Bouwmeester|pixelens.com

26 Responses to “ Machan and MFC Part Ways ”

1. cory pitttendreigh says:

Fuck mark pavelich go ryan!!!

2. DavePavelich says:

A perfect example of our contract aggreements is…

Ryan Machan fights for pure fighting championship and loses to Jordan Mein.Losses in smaller shows devalue fighters, and in 2010 we are protecting ourselves from this to happen, as it is our marketing dollars going into promoting a fighter. This is why Machan as always been on the undercard because we have never had exclusive or a multi fight deal with him.

3. Dustin Graber says:

Good Job Ryan! That is complete bullshit! The Pavelich duo, are the two worst and shadiest people in mma. They try and screw everyone over. Look at there track record with Valimaki, Ford, Macdonald and everyone else they shit talk and try and rub there names in the ground. The two biggest douchebags in mma.

4. CanadianMMA says:

How can anyone blame Ryan in this?

I can’t believe this MFC shit. Just lost a fan

5. fight fan says:

Ryan lost to Jordan is true. Aside from personal issues ryan had before the fight, Jordan is a fighter with a lot of experience who also fights at a bigger weight class then Ryan usually does. The only reason you haven’t seen Jordan in MFC is because his dad runs a fight promotion in Alberta as well. It wouldn’t look good for the MFC to have a fighter from a different promotion in the same province to come in and lay a beating to some of the MFC fighters.
    You would have thought that after winning even 4 fights in the MFC that he would have been a main card fight but instead because of MFC personal “beef” with Ryan he never got the chance to do that. I feel that Ryan will do better out of the MFC and will be presented with fights that he has earned and that he deserves. MFC has given Ryan some good experience that I’m sure will be useful to Ryan down the road.

6. Thanks for everyone’s comments, especially Dave Pavelich, the VP of Maximum Fighting.

I would like to clarify the article:

Ryan was not released as he is free agent. MFC had him on single fight contracts. The two sides were negotiating a 4 fight deal and they could not agree to terms. Hence the split.

7. latour says:

Bottom line is MFC GOES AROUND SCREAMING THEY ARE MAKING LIVIN’ LA VIE DA LOCA MONEY AND CONTINUE TO SHORTCHANGE EVERYONE. HOW MANY BIG NAMES HAVE THEY GOT RID OF IN THE PAST YEAR OVER NONSENSE. NOT A FARM SYSTEM FOR THE UFC MY ASS, MACHAN IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF A NOT SO KNOWN FIGHTER WHO HAS LIMITLESS POTENTIAL BUT ALL HE CAN GET IS UNDERCARD FIGHTS. WHY YOU ASK? SO MARK CAN GET X-UFC FIGHTERS. YOUR RIGHT ITS NOT A FARM SYSTEM FOR THE UFC ITS THE UFC’S FARM. THAT IS NO DISRESPECT TO THOSE (UFC)GUYS IN ANY WAY BECAUSE THEY ARE ALL TALENTED IT IS A KNOCK AGAINST THE MFC’S WAY OF DOING THINGS. DONT GET ME WRONG I UNDERSTAND AT THE END OF THE DAY THE MFC WILL SELL MORE HAVING THE BIGGER NAMES BUT THEN WHY TREAT THE UP AND COMING FIGHTERS EVEN MORE EXCLUSIVE THAN TOP WORLD RANKED UFC FIGHTERS.HOW CAN YOU JUSTIFY PAYING SOMEBODY THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY ON AN UNDERCARD AS OPPOSSED TO A LIVE TELEVISED EVENT, IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE ANY WAY YOU SLICE IT. I HAVE PERSONALLY SPENT SOME TIME TRAINING WITH MARINI AND HIM SITTING OUT A YEAR IS SUCH A WASTE OF TALENT AND YOUTH AND TRULY PISSES ME OFF. GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING RYAN TRULY YOU DESERVE IT, IT IS JUST A SHAME YOU WONT GET TO FIGHT ON LIVE TV BECAUSE OF SOMETHING NOT EVEN REASONABLE.NEXT THE MFC IS GONNA WANT THERE FIGHTERS TO SIGN A CONTRACT FOR A VIDEO GAME THAT DOESNT EXSIST, JUST IN CASE.

8. Submission King says:

hopefully promotions like Shine or Bellator who have been on a signing spree will take notice to someone like Ryan and sign him.

9. cory pitttendreigh says:

I didn’t no there was two pavelichs so dave fuck you to!!! Go ryan

10. Fuck that Pavelich he has no clue what he’s doing, what does he actually think he knows about MMA no clue I say no clue. That Dave I can’t stand that prick but he’s good looking.

Good luck Ryan we wish you the best of luck.

11. Sean McManus says:

“I didn’t no there was two pavelichs so dave fuck you to!!! Go ryan”

I really never understood the hate towards Mark…the guy, along with his family and team at MFC have been consistently putting on great shows – while others have come and gone. Regardless of how Mark is perceived in the media, he deserves respect for what he’s accomplished. Just because terms of a contract can’t be sorted out, does not call for ridicule of the MFC…it’s a two way street…the MFC is going to keep doing what they are doing and Ryan will continue to fight…best wishes to them both.

12. I gotta tell ya, I now come to top MMA news to read the comments before the articles…freaking hilarious!

Personally I dont agree with the MFC strategy of locking up the fighters to exclusive contracts. That strategy works for the UFC, because they pay their fighters enough that they don’t have to work in order to pay the bills. And even if the fighters are not all making stay at home money from the UFC, most of them get considerable support from their sponsors because of the exposure they get in being in the UFC. I seriously doubt that the MFC pay scale is on par with that of the UFC, nor do I believe that sponsors are providing MFC fighters the same kind of financial support.

If a fighter chooses to take a risk and fight for another promotion and loses, than they have to realize that they are devalued and no longer have the same status. That’s a risk they take. At the same time, losses happen in MMA, and you can’t look at a loss in this sport as you would in boxing.

And just letting a fighter go shows a lack of imagination. Why not try to put together a Machan-Mein rematch? Why not look for some other interesting match ups if Lee does not want his son to fight for a rival promotion?

13. Josh Wilson says:

I keep hearing tons of shady stuff coming from the MFC all the time. They are signing a lot of talent but not getting them fights. The guys who they do consistently get fights they end up pissing them off ie MacDonald, Alessio, Ford. These guys are the top Canadian fighters most marketable and actually exciting to watch. I’m from Langley and wonder what there doing with their BC fighters? Now that Kajan Johnson has a loss how long till we see him again? Jason Heit beat down there “Future” and #1 Draft Pick Paapa Inkumusah and I see Paapa is getting a fight but I haven’t seen or heard anything about Heit. I think they would be in big trouble if HD Net wasn’t backing them. Bottom line quite signing fighters to exclusive contracts if you can’t get them fights. We all know it’s for your own personal gain not for the greater good of this sport and it’s fans.

14. Chris Carson says:

Losses to fighters in smaller promotions devalue fighters?

This statement is accurate to a point. The point in this case was missed by a mile, or two. I can understand an organization looking to protect their assets but the statement in this case holds as much water as a sieve.

Yes, Ryan did lose to Jordan Mein. That is undisputable. Yes, it may be considered a smaller show. That’s up to the individual. However, what’s being overlooked here is how the fight in question was carried out. Ryan lost at welterweight. The last time I looked, Ryan competes at lightweight. Ryan took the fight at WW as a challenge and came up short. I’m at a loss to figure out how that devalues him in the MFC where he competed at lightweight.

If you were to follow that logic, and this is by no means comparing the fighters, BJ Penn should be completely devalued. BJ fought at WW and didn’t fare anywhere as well as a fighter of his caliber should fare. BJ drops to LW and is absolutely dominant. Has BJ’s value dropped since he fought outside his weight category? No, I’m pretty sure he hasn’t. To add on to the situation, if the MFC was so concerned about Ryan fighting on a smaller show, why didn’t they make a more concerted effort to dissuade Ryan from taking the Mein fight?

Good luck Ryan.

15. cory pitttendreigh says:

I know ryan personally and his record in the mfc warranted a much larger contract to stay than what he was offered so may I say in closing fuck you pavelich hahahaha!!!!!

16. joe buck says:

I’m pretty sure there are two sides to every story, at the same time the Pavolich’s are running the top mma show in Canada and easily top 4 in North America. In this case there still is a ton of ego on both sides one wants more money they other doesn’t want to pay. That’s life. That happens in pro sport everyday and as well at the office, everyone wants more and more, its human nature. Wrong or right but I know one thing like it or not The Pavolich Family has done more for MMA in Canada then anyone else and that’s a fact. Good luck to both sides I’m sure you will both be fine.

17. latour says:

I was never disagreeing with the success of the MFC nor the calibar of the fights or fighters I am just not a fan of how they deal with people, like they are so high and almighty and fighters are low replaceable objects. I aknowledge Mark and his family have done great for themselves and he has been in this business a long time, all I ask is that he treat his fightrs with a little more respect and understanding. if you have no intention on using a fighter why not let him fight somewhere else where he can make money and build himself experience.Fighters lose sometimes thats apart of life, and if your scared your fighters are going to lose somewhere else give them fights in your organization or dont sign them in the first place, very simple. I dont know Mark on a personal level and I am sure he is a good guy after all he is a family man, but on a professional level I personally disagree with his business ethics.

18. Chris, I guess you missed my point. It was a generic statement about the MFC’s position. However, if you want to get into it, the MFC is the big fish in Canada right now, making whatever show Machan fought on a smaller show. I also understand that Machan moved up in weight, and you can make apologies for him, but the casual fan will only know that he lost his last fight. The fact is, a loss lowers a fighter’s value. Ask any promoter, ask any matchmaker, if they are working for the number 1 show in the country, and one of “their fighters” loses to an opponent in a smaller organization, it looks bad.

Nice try with your arguments though.

19. k johnston says:

ryan you have class in or out of the cage.i know how self-disciplined you are and how hard you have worked to get where you are.this is just a little bump in the road.when one door closes another will open for something better.i dont understand the contract reasoning when you have never been with paveilich.your time energy and training has always been with another club.where have they spent money on an undercard to want exclusive rights. a top fighter free agent would only bring more publicity and money in the venues for the pavelich team.

20. brodes says:

whittaker, what does it matter if the promotion is smaller rather than it being about the quality of the opponent he faced?

21. joe buck says:

MFC is big business MMA no direspect to anyone and I think Ryan is a good fighter but I would never go to the MFC just to see him fight. Most of the times when me and my buds show up for the live show he has already been on in the prelims, at the same time I think he’s nuts not to sign with MFC because that’s the only real place he will get real exposure for his career. He was getting to the piont to fight on the main card live on tv and then what go fight on shows with no tv no exposure it’s just bad management.

22. Would someone that knows Jason,have him email me. I would like to take a look at Ryan. I am going to start looking at more Canadian fighters. The flights are not as bad as I thought,if I book them in advance. If anyone else is interested please send me an email all so. Thanks.

Brent Medley
    President/Shark Fight Promotions LLC.

23. Rain-bows says:

Awesome opportunity for any fighters looking to get a little more recognition, from what I’ve heard Shark Fights is a solid promotion!

24. joe buck says:

Brent you are a joke, you are the only fight promotion in the world who signs fighters and doesn’t have dates for you’re events. What a joke the mfc is 10 times bigger.

25. Mr. Joe buck, I wasn’t making a comparison to the MFC,what they do with their organization is their business. I know most fighters look at blogs and thought it would save some trouble from trying to track either one of them down,and as it turns it did. I love that you have compassion for your local MMA org. But quite frankly I don’t sign my fighters unless I have a date scheduled,I may not roll out the press release right away,but our company internally has the date locked and signed for before I send out one contract. Like I said fans need to be vocal and compassionate about their MMA,but really its not a comparison.