What Do NHLers Do on their Saturday Nights Off? Watch MMA, of course!
UFC 95 was not the only mixed martial arts show on Saturday. Washington, DC’s UWC promotion also presented a show on Saturday night. Who was in attendance? None other than the best goal scorer in the NHL – Alex Ovechkin and several of his teammates. Ovechkin, Niklas Backstrom, Mike Green, and Donald Brashear from the Capitals along with Chris Cooley of the NFL’s Washington Redskins joined the over 6,000 in attendance to watch a solid night of fights, according to Cooley’s blog.
Although main eventer, Chase Beebe no showed the weigh-ins and was off the show, the card was great with Mike Easton submitting Justin Robbins in the Bantamweight title match. Robbins was from Matt Hughes’ H.I.T. Squad and Hughes and MMA Middleweight Robbie Lawler were in attendance to cheer on their fighter who took the match on very short notice.
In the other title contest, IFL veteran Jamal Patterson defeated Antwain Britt in 44 seconds. Patterson won the vacant UWC Light-heavyweight title for his efforts.
Also on the card, The Ultimate Fighter veteran Richie Hightower had a no contest with Marcus Foran after Hightower threw illegal elbows at Foran.
- Kris McCray defeats Manny Okorie by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) Round 1
- Kyle Baker defeats Levon Maynard by TKO (Knees and Punches) Round 2
- Iman Achhal defeats Felice Herrig by Decision (Split) Round 3
- Cody Donovan defeats John Doyle by TKO (Punches and Elbows) Round 1
- Ronald Stallings defeats Herbert Goodman by KO (Knees) Round 1
- Richie Hightower /Marcus Foran No Contest Round 2
- John Dodson defeats Jose Villirisco by Decision (Unanimous) Round 3
- Jamal Patterson defeats Antwain Britt by Submission (Guillotine Choke) Round 1
- Mike Easton defeats Justin Robbins by Submission (Guillotine Choke) Round 3