Gomi Upset at Sengoku VI – Kitaoka, Santiago Grand Prix Champions
In Sengoku VI action, Takanori Gomi was upset by Russian Red Devil Sergey Golyaev in a split decision. The fight, which was the journeyman Golyaev’s first in two years, surely must knock Gomi out of the consensus Top 10 Lightweights in the World.
In Grand Prix action, Satoru Kitaoka outlasted Kazunori Yokota ro win the Lightweight Grand Prix after first defeating Eiji Mitsuoka with his trademark heel hook. Jorge Santiago took the Middleweight Grand Prix with a TKO of Pride and UFC veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura. Like Kitaoka, Santiago got to the final with a heel hook over his first round opponent, Mizuto Hirota. In other action, Winnipeg’s Joe Doerksen and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, the brother of UFC heavyweight champion, were both victorious.
Here are the results for the card:
Lightweight Grand Prix
- Kazunori Yokota defeats Mizuto Hirota by Decision (LW GP Semi)
- Satoru Kitaoka submits Eiji Mitsuoka by Heel Hook in Round 1 (LW GP Semi)
- Jorge Masvidal defeats Bang Seung Hwan by Decision (LW GP Reserve Fight)
- Satoru Kitaoka defeats Kazunori Yokota by Decision (LW GP Finals)
Satoru Kitaoka wins the Sengoku Lightweight Grand Prix.
Middleweight Grand Prix
- Jorge Santiago submits Siyar Bahadurzada by Heel Hook in Round 1 (MW GP Semi)
- Kazuhiro Nakamura defeats Yuki Sasaki by Decision (MW GP Semi)
- Joe Doerksen defeats Izuru Takeuchi by TKO (Strikes) in Round 3 (MW GP Reserve Fight)
- Jorge Santiago defeats Kazuhiro Nakamura by TKO (Punches) in Round 3 (MW GP Finals)
Non-Grand Prix Fights
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira defeats Moise Rimbon by Decision.
- “King Mo” Muhammed Lawal defeats Fabio Silva by TKO in Round 3
- Sergey Golyaev defeats Takanori Gomi by Split Decision.
For more Cageplay.com Sengoku VI coverage, check out: Cageplay.com’s Joe Doerksen Victorious at Sengoku.